Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-20, 06:05 PM  
Tugger31

Exclamation Essentrics Question

Can someone help me figure out what the major difference is between Essentrics and Classical Stretch, which do you like better and why and who are your favorite instructors? I'm interested in expanding my small library which includes Essentrics Full Body Toning, BSS2 and Essentrics Stretch. The dvds are pretty pricey and I don't want to spend too much if there really isn't much difference btwn them. Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 08:36 PM  
DCW

Hi!

There isn't any difference between them. Classical Stretch is on PBS and taught by the creator Miranda.

Your library may have the DVDs. The Essentrics website has some mini workouts as well as YouTube. You may want to try the free 2 week trial to sample the DVDs and the workouts only offered on streaming. You may find Classical Stretch on your local PBS station.

Some VF members are instructors and hopefully will chime in. Both are fantastic and a wealth of knowledge.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 09:59 PM  
gigi

You get trial period for streaming and you will not be charged if you cancel before trial period is over. This would give you access to Essentrics and Classical Stretch. From what I've noticed the Essentrics workouts are led by Miranda's daughter and some younger instructors. Classical Stretch is mostly led by Miranda and are her 20 something minute PBS programs. I like them both but there are more Classical Stretch episodes to choose from and I'd say I do them more. I like some of the workout exclusive to the streaming subscription.
Old 08-03-20, 10:23 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I think with the creation of Essentrics they were trying to target a wider (and younger audience) than the PBS Classical Stretch followers. Both Miranda and Sahra train athletes, as well so Essentrics appeals to more folks.

I like both CS and Essentrics. I like the variety of instructors with Essentrics but I also tend to do the CS Seasons. I'm closer to Miranda's age, than Sahra's so maybe that's why.

Miranda can get a bit off track at times. Sahra and many of the newer Essentrics teachers are more focused and lovely to watch (workout with.)

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 11:01 PM  
Vantreesta

I keep trying to like CS but so far I do not. But I do like Essentrics. My hips feel better with Essentrics but I have yet to feel much, if any, benefit from CS. Just my personal experience and opinion. I did a few CS episodes several years ago ago and my back was not appreciative. I'm working through season 11 now (recorded on PBS).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 03:01 AM  
IceQueen07

I have some of the DVDs and have also done the free trial streaming and while I like the younger instructors, I prefer CS with Miranda. Maybe it is an age thing, I don't know. Some people don't like her because she chats ALOT. But it doesn't bother me and actually makes me relax more because I just listen to her and do the moves and it just works better for me.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 06:18 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceQueen07 View Post
I have some of the DVDs and have also done the free trial streaming and while I like the younger instructors, I prefer CS with Miranda. Maybe it is an age thing, I don't know. Some people don't like her because she chats ALOT. But it doesn't bother me and actually makes me relax more because I just listen to her and do the moves and it just works better for me.
I don't know if it's an age thing or not. I'm 63 and have been doing CS/Essentrics for 15 years. It took me some time to cotton to Miranda, even while I was benefiting from her workouts. Now I get annoyed with her only when I'm feeling poorly and need someone who's focused.

BUT I LOVE the newer instructors and Sahra. Their form pointers and instruction are so much better than Miranda's. They work sides equally. I wish the newer instructors would do some episodes in the new seasons of Classical Stretch.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 07:34 AM  
Izzy

Classical Stretch was developed by Miranda. She produced her workouts on PBS and DVD's. Her daughter Sahra expanded and developed on Miranda's method and created Essentrics. Eventually they merged into just Essentrics. So now CS is basically under the umbrella of Essentrics. I would not think that one is more geared towards a certain age group than the other as the method is basically the same. Miranda's forte is in the development of the method not her instruction. She is an excellent teacher but not a great instructor. Sahra is a better instructor and it only made sense to build the business method on both. Older people may lean more towards Miranda because they have done her workouts longer (faithful audience) and younger people may instinctively lean more towards the younger instructors. I am in my mid 60's. I do both. It was a smart business move to combine the two as they both (Miranda and Sahra) have benefited from this decision.
Old 08-04-20, 08:27 AM  
Tugger31

Which CS season(s) would be ideal for me. I'm interested in overall more standing work. Floor work is okay except ab/core that involves crunches since I can't do that since my neck surgery. I did Essentrics Stretch with Meg the other day and liked her instruction and the slowness of the moves. I did Full Body Toning yesterday with Sahra and I found myself looking at the tv more to see if I was doing things right. I wish the CS espisodes were longer b/c I prefer a 30-45 min workout/stretch. So many an episode that would be easier to do two episodes back to back without repeat. I heard episode 9 is more cardio and that is also something I'm interested in for variety as well as it's not Dream Body pace!

I've heard in posts that people prefer the newer seasons b/c the method has evolved. Which seasons are "newer"??

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 09:13 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Which CS season(s) would be ideal for me. I'm interested in overall more standing work. Floor work is okay except ab/core that involves crunches since I can't do that since my neck surgery. I did Essentrics Stretch with Meg the other day and liked her instruction and the slowness of the moves. I did Full Body Toning yesterday with Sahra and I found myself looking at the tv more to see if I was doing things right. I wish the CS espisodes were longer b/c I prefer a 30-45 min workout/stretch. So many an episode that would be easier to do two episodes back to back without repeat. I heard episode 9 is more cardio and that is also something I'm interested in for variety as well as it's not Dream Body pace!

I've heard in posts that people prefer the newer seasons b/c the method has evolved. Which seasons are "newer"??

Thanks!

I recently finished season 13, the lastest season. I loved it so much that I'm doing it again (I do CS/Essentrics 2 or maybe 3 times a week). I often do two episodes back to back, although I often will do an episode then do 15 or 20 mins on my rebounder.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, dislike, essentrics, season 11, season 4