Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-11-19, 01:52 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geojill View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Tugger - I actually have Walk Strong 3 and have never done it. I think I will do this and just follow Debbie in the beginning while I get back into the swing of things.
I always was a Beth follower, now mix btwn Debbie and Jessica. I actually like it better now!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 02:33 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

Hi!

I've changed my routine over the last ten years or so due to various reasons. Jessica has always been a go to for me (streaming and dvd). Lately I find that I like some of her older dvds more now than I did when I first tried them. I'm so glad I held onto them!

If you stream at all, you may like Pahla B. I have been using her streaming videos a lot in the last two years. She has so many to try. They vary in length and intensity. These workouts have really grown on me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeX...SjIbDkvHXa1yyA

Barlates (Linda W) also has some "flowing workouts".

Cathe's latest series is really good too. (IMHO).

Good luck and be gentle with yourself. As someone already mentioned--consistency is key and something is better than nothing.
Even if I don't feel like doing much, I start with a 10 minute workout. It usually turns into something longer.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 05:05 PM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
consistency will get you there. Doesn't matter what or how long, just consistent. Once you work it into your routine, you'll know when you can take it up a notch. With the new job and all your life changes, it's A LOT ... give yourself permission to start again slowly and compare yourself ONLY TO YOUR CURRENT SELF. Let the old you go ... period.
Thanks Cleda, I love this. My old self was way more fit and unfortunately, where I am mentally does not match where I am physically.
Old 05-11-19, 06:55 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm struggling with this too. Moving through my day it doesn't seem to me that I'm unfit, but when I add in actual, deliberate exercise for its own sake I wind up really sore and achy.

I'd love to build up my stamina, but I think my only chance for success is to take things a LOT more slowly than I'd prefer. Tedious, but apparently the only road for me.

I've recently joined the Y, as they have tons of classes, good machines and weights, etc. Also no contract, which is a plus for me. I got a real deal on the signup fee, so I'm comfortable trying this for a few months just to see what happens.

For now I'm all about gentle flowy yoga. It's about what I can manage.
My goal is to work up to joining the classes in the pool, since I've heard those classes are fun too.

I guess my biggest hurdle is psychological. Letting go of the idea that I can do this alone has been really hard.
Old 05-11-19, 07:46 PM  
alisoncooks

Yep, I recently restarted, and I had to go waaaay back. Like "yoga for seniors" back. But seriously, gentle yoga has been very beneficial for me where I currently am. I add in some elliptical, occasional easy-ish weights in small doses, and I feel good. I feel like I can do more. (As opposed to feeling like I've been hit by a truck!)

Good luck finding what works for you.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-19, 08:39 PM  
Tugger31

Enjoy WS3, but be aware, the first workout in the rotation the Metabolic Total Body (not sure if that is the exact title) is the toughest workout in the set I believe. So, don't get discouraged if you finish that one feeling a bit tired. Modify, modify, modify!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-19, 11:07 PM  
lizh

Another good one for re-starting is the Powerfit DVDs by Stephanie Huckabee. They are very well produced and enjoyable and only 20 minutes. She is pleasant and encouraging.

There is a 5 disc set and an 8 disc set. I found them cheap on ebay.
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-19, 11:33 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I wasn't sure about getting some newer Cathe DVDs but I've been taking care of a tweaked knee over the last few months and bit the bullet on acquiring some upper body splits and boy oh boy, are they great! I *love* Stacked Sets Upper and Chiseled Upper Body! Can't stop doing them and also really enjoying Ramped Up Upper Body and still sore today two days after trying Pyramid Pump
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 04:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Just commit to 5 minutes today of any video of your choice. You have the option to stop when you reach 5 minutes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 06:07 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Enjoy WS3, but be aware, the first workout in the rotation the Metabolic Total Body (not sure if that is the exact title) is the toughest workout in the set I believe. So, don't get discouraged if you finish that one feeling a bit tired. Modify, modify, modify!
Good to know. Actually, I did Have a Ball from WS 2.0 on Saturday and was feeling tired, sore from work, and not up to the complete workout. So yesterday I jogged through Taiwan on my rebounder using a download from Virtual Active and then followed it up with an episode of Classical Stretch. That was perfect I think I’ do that for a little longer while my body sorts out how it feels about my new job. CS really helped with some of the aches and pains I was dealing with.

Tags
restarting