Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-17, 10:08 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm sorry you've been hurting but thank you for posting this!! You've reminded me that I haven't done the back pain DVD in quite some time, and it really might do me some good.

If I can only remember to do it!
Thank you, BH. I have to admit, I was skeptical that it would work, especially when during the workout Miranda said something like, "you're probably feeling less pain already". No, I wasn't. It hurt like the dickens!

Is there a stretch challenge or check-in? Maybe we could use one.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 06:38 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had had a stiff, sore knee for many months and finally dug out one of my Classical Stretch DVDs. After just a few workouts, my knee felt much better. Now I'm hooked and have been doing them 2-3 times a week.

There is an Essentrics/Classical Stretch check-in.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 04:09 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I really like Lee Holden's Qi Gong for some stretch but a lot of increase in mobility and range of motion and just generally not feeling tight. Also very relaxing and, though he doesn't completely leave out the philosophical side of qi gong, I don't find it intrusive in the DVDs I've done. My favorite is Qi Gong for Healthy Joints and Bones.

I'm also looking at this new streaming program he has of thirty 7-minute routines, plus three 20-minute ones but haven't ordered yet. A great deal at $27. I like his 7 Minutes of Magic DVD but my hands with arthritis at the base of both thumbs don't like the two main routines. Note that the new 7-minute streaming program is on a different web site than his DVDs. Looks like he set up a new one in preparation for a PBS program and for his streaming not DVD workouts. (He has a third one for his more teacher-oriented stuff. Gets confusing.) Not sure if this program can be downloaded. The other programs he has on this site say they can be.

I'm also liking Jane Adam's Gentle Yoga that I got recently. It's slow and pretty stretchy but also works on basic balance and ROM in some areas. It's easy to go further by doing things like bending to the floor instead of a chair. I like her and she gives good pointers but doesn't overwhelm with them. Beautiful outdoor location.

Thanks to the other posters, I've ordered the Mimi Solaire. And I have that one by Mirabai but haven't done it yet, so thanks for the reminder, Pat.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 05:54 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I use Jill Miller's Post Athletic stretch quite a bit. I think I've only done the running and cycling segments but not necessarily only after running or cycling.

It's part of a set, but I LOVE P90X3 Dynamix! It's definitely more about mobility than flexibility.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 08:59 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
I really like Lee Holden's Qi Gong for some stretch but a lot of increase in mobility and range of motion and just generally not feeling tight....

I'm also looking at this new streaming program he has of thirty 7-minute routines, plus three 20-minute ones but haven't ordered yet. A great deal at $27.
I highly recommend Lee Holden's set of thirty 7-minute routines. I've worked through all thirty several times now and they are really a great value. They're filmed either on the beach or overlooking the ocean. There's a very light background music that complements the sound of the surf. These are all done standing. Some movements are used more than once, but each routine is different. They are downloadable. The site is easy to navigate. At 7 minutes, they are a great add-on or nice by themselves, if that's all you have time for. I often use them in the morning. They are also good for those times when you've been sitting too long and need to get up and Move, even if you can't do a whole workout.

He has longer programs that you can purchase using this same site. I have many of them and they're all good (beautiful locations and productions), but I use these the most because of their length and convenience. I think Lee has gotten better with time!

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-17, 10:42 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'm on a big DoYogaWithMe (on YouTube) kick right now -- I've done two of the practices focused on the lower back (just search for 'em) and they've been wonderful! I had a weird fever this past Sunday that made me very achy all over and doing these practices after I started to feel a bit better really helped my back get back to feeling good and normal again. The "deep release" routine with Fiji McAlpine is my particular favorite. I'm trying another one tomorrow
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 12:10 AM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
I highly recommend Lee Holden's set of thirty 7-minute routines. They are downloadable.
Ann
Thanks, Ann. It's always good to get a VFer's opinion. The download option makes a difference.

Old 09-22-17, 05:59 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thanks, Ann. It's always good to get a VFer's opinion. The download option makes a difference.
These interest me since they are downable. My streaming these days is so bad, despite paying for "lightning-fast internet".

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 05:32 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

It is frustrating, Carol. DH got the fastest he could here, but I'm in the hills and trees on the edge of a small town where we get what counts as real weather in California. We also get a lot of tourists so the demands on Wi-Fi and cell phones are higher than the paid base will support.

I should see if I can tell Lee that it's not clear that this challenge series is downloadable like the separate workouts are.

I like Lee and find his routines make me feel good enough that I can see myself doing one every day.

Old 09-22-17, 06:32 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:

I should see if I can tell Lee that it's not clear that this challenge series is downloadable like the separate workouts are.

I like Lee and find his routines make me feel good enough that I can see myself doing one every day.
KarenJo,

Just like with the longer workouts, you have to go into each workout separately to download it. When you log into the 30 Day Challenge program and bring up each workout, you can play it or download it. There is a "Download" button. On that page, he also includes an inspirational quotation and lists the movements you'll be doing. For example, Day One: "We are what we repeatedly do." - Aristotle. "This routine will give you a great Qi workout. Feel the power flow through your body, feel the relaxation move through your mind. Movements in this Routine:
Spinal Cord Breathing
Spreading the Feathers
Opening the Flow"

He mirror-cues. The production value is great. It was filmed somewhere along the California coast.

BTW, where do you live in Northern California? I live in Placer County, but have lived in Sacramento and Mendocino County as well.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4 system, dr eric goodman, foundation training, mark lauren, mobility, stretch workouts, stretching, tangoflex