Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-15, 12:22 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice View Post
Wow - such a difference in terms of experience with progressive lenses! I guess I will have to just have a pair of bifocals among a range of glasses.

Really good to hear that glasses can be fitted snugly to deal with impact in workouts.

For those who have really strong glasses (-9.5 and above), your thoughts on metal vs plastic frames?

Thanks again!
Janice
I have really strong glasses. I always get metal. I think plastic frames might need to be adjusted more. I got new glasses last year - titanium frames, the more expensive high index lenses & the crizal coating. There are 2 types of high index lenses out now and the more expensive one offers sharper, clearer vision (& are smaller). It might not matter if you have a small prescription but it does make a difference with a strong perscription. The crizal coating is expected to last 2 times as long as the regular coating. Anyway, these are by far my lightest, most comfortable glasses ever. Still miss working out in contacts but light weight glasses really helps. I agree with others - make sure you get them fitted well around the ears. For some reason, the opticians seem to want to cut the ears short but I worry they will fall off if too short around the ears. I want them secure. My vision is so bad, I can't find my glasses if they fall off on the floor.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 12:43 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Well, I changed from contacts to glasses years ago, because I was stupid & wore the (gas permeable, which are a little like hard contacts) contacts everyday for over 12 hours a day for years & years. My eyes just couldn't handle the lenses anymore for everyday wear. So, I switched to glasses--but I wear contact lenses for intense workouts & yard work.

Also, I want to add that I wear progressive lenses in my glasses. I had headaches for a while when I first started wearing them. I have a pair of single vision glasses on hand when I might want to wear those for working out, but I go for the contacts instead. I have worn my progressive lens glasses for some medium to intense hi/lo workouts, but I felt as if the world was turning all around. I wouldn't even try to wear those for step workouts. But, that's just my experience.

I just wanted to add some info for all those involved, so they would not make the same mistake I did, etc.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!

Last edited by Jennifer P.; 09-26-15 at 12:43 PM. Reason: changed a wrong word
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 06:12 PM  
KBear

I have this.

http://www.dollartree.com/health-bea...?method=search

I usually wear contacts, and my glasses are loose, even after I tighten the little screws. This thing will help it keep in place. The black plastic piece will move, and you can tighten around your head.
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 08:54 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Interesting comments about progressives. I've never had a problem with mine—no break-in period, no balance/dizziness issues, etc.
Mine felt super-weird for the few hours--when I turned my head, everything went SWISH! It was making me a little dizzy, and I was very frustrated b/c I thought I wouldn't adjust, but I did, and quickly. I actually prefer my glasses to my contacts (which are NEVER comfortable, regardless of different brands I've had/adjustments I've tried). However, they don't feel tight enough that I'd feel good about wearing them for exercise. Luckily, I don't really need them for that, so I just go without glasses altogether when I exercise.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-15, 10:06 PM  
BunnyHop

I couldn't help thinking of this discussion tonight when I was doing the Lower Back Issues segment from Yoga for Stress Relief. Somehow I'd never done it before (being perfectly happy with the other back segment, for S.I. issues).

Way towards the end she has you do quarter dog pose, on your knees, with your face/forehead down on the mat, supposedly to help relieve stress in the upper back.

All I noticed is that I really shouldn't have done that one in my glasses because they really felt squished when I put my face to the floor. Not comfy. (I've got those stretchy/bendy rimless kind, so I mostly never notice them.)

Kinda funny, really.

Progressives? I've had them for a while now, and they only ever seem to bother me in the movie theater when action zips across the screen really fast. (At least I think it's the glasses.) I do wish I had a single vision pair to wear when I'm on the computer, I really don't need my progressives for that.
Old 09-27-15, 06:56 AM  
anne

I use an old pair of glasses from a few prescriptions ago, from before I needed reading glasses, when I exercise at home. They have plastic frames, are very comfortable, and don't slip at all. My new prescription glasses flop around a lot when I exercise and they have progressive lenses which I'm still getting used to. I think my new frames are too wide for my face. I wear my contacts when I do classes at the gym.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-15, 10:52 AM  
janice

Good to see some of you workout in contacts - this is what I am doing and then switch to glasses afterwards.

For years, decades - I only used my glasses at night once the contacts came out. So getting used to glasses for everyday activities like walking outside and driving took some getting used to with my new prescription.

Now, with uncomfortable contacts and the need to use reading glasses with these means I will have to use my glasses more until I get lense implants (once I have cataracts removed - in about 10 years, according to the eye doctor). Hopefully by then, the lenses and procedure will be a lot better.

Thank you for all your help, especially with places to get glasses online. I will be looking to get some sturdy, well fitting frames for working out and fashionable glasses today :-)

Thanks again.
Janice
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-15, 02:42 PM  
marya

To those of you who have several pairs of glasses--ATTN: DEMERIS--how do you store them? At this point I wear glasses only for reading, but I suspect that will eventually change. I like the idea of matching glasses and attire.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses, over 50