Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-15, 11:53 AM  
Terry

A head sweat band goes a long way towards keeping my lenses sweat-free. Working outside in the rain is another story; I have to take them off for this.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 11:55 AM  
sweatie

I tagged this thread. If you want to see more posts on the subject of exercising with glasses, click on the word "glasses" in the tag line and a few more threads will be listed.
sweatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 12:11 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
As others have said, double check to make sure your glasses fit your face properly and/or grip your head/ears correctly.

Another idea is one of those grippy strip things I've seen. You put the ends of the glasses in it, and it stretches like a head band to hold your glasses on.

I've seen a lot of other people use them, especially when boating, but I have no idea what they're called.

Anybody know?
I've seen these, but I don't know where you get them either. I'm getting to the point where I will need glasses for everything, not just reading, so I will be looking for one of these things. I don't know what they are called either.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 12:19 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I've worn glasses now for 50 years.

One issue I'd like to point out is that now I have progressive lenses. And I DESPISE them. I've been to several eye doctors over the past 5 years with them, and am adjusting somewhat ... The issues for me are:
  • depth perception - I have to make sure my head is angled properly so that I'm looking through the correct portion of the lens, otherwise I trip more easily
  • movement - some physical activities cause me to feel nauseous, likely from the depth perception fluctuating back & forth. For outdoor activities, I now have a pair of single lens glasses with just the "distance" prescription in them

Even though I've found an eye doctor that is working out the issues for me, I still feel that, for me, progressive lenses are a detriment to quality of life. When I'm due for another prescription change, I'll be carefully considering getting different glasses for different activities (if I can afford to do so!)

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 12:23 PM  
cfwb

I've been wearing glasses for about 35 years now, and have never had problems with them bouncing around during jumps. My only very minor problem is that they slip UP my nose (towards my eyes) when I'm doing supine work and I have to keep pulling them down so that my astigmatism correction is working properly. (My glasses are wire frames with softer plastic nosepieces attached to them.)
cfwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 12:59 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I stopped wearing contacts quite a while ago, maybe about 10 years ago.

fortunately for me, and this is not answering your question, I have natural monovision. I can go without glasses entirely, even at work!

at my annual eye exam a few weeks ago, my ophthalmologist said that my far-sighted eye has actually corrected itself slightly.

the only time I absolutely need glasses is for driving at night.

so, maybe you can see whether you can work out w/o glasses?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 01:09 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
I've worn glasses for over 50 years. I've had plastic, metal, and/or wire frames. I never had a problem with workouts unless the glasses are too wide for my face or aren't adjusted properly. Glasses shouldn't make a difference in your workouts. They might slide a little when you sweat but they probably won't fall off or anything unless they don't fit your face or aren't adjusted properly. Good luck getting used to them.
This.

A few years ago I decided that my glasses were too important a part of my wardrobe to limit myself to one or two pairs. I currently own 22 pairs of glasses--a pair to work with whatever I'm wearing and with my mood. I wish I'd taken this plunge ages ago. My favorite new place for frames is glassesshop.com.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 02:09 PM  
janice

Thanks so much for all your input!

I guess I will have to see if my glasses can be adjusted to have the bit on the ears fit better.

FirmDancer/Anita - I have been told that progressives take a lot of getting used to. For me, there is a marked difference between the distance and reading prescription so I have chosen for now to have seperate glasses for distance and reading. Thankfully, the distance ones work ok except when I have to deal with a lot of reading.

Jeannine - no way I could NOT use glasses - my eyesight is just too bad.

Demeris - great that you have such a choice of glasses! I have 3 pairs now - 2 distance and one reading but I think I may have to get a pair for workouts that are more hardy.

But I am limited to small frames, no square shapes (due to thickness of lenses and distortion). I would like medium size frames but the lenses would be quite thick unless I pay a lot more for high index lenses (which would be a lot thinnner).
So getting the right pair is not easy.
Thanks for the link to glassesshop.com - the prices look affordable.

May have to check out band/retainer for glasses and see how that works.

Thanks again everyone for all the info!

Janice
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 02:16 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
This.

A few years ago I decided that my glasses were too important a part of my wardrobe to limit myself to one or two pairs. I currently own 22 pairs of glasses--a pair to work with whatever I'm wearing and with my mood. I wish I'd taken this plunge ages ago. My favorite new place for frames is glassesshop.com.
I tried ordering glasses from one of those online places a couple of years ago and they were unwearable. That's probably because I have progressive lenses and if the measurements are even a little bit off, it messes everything up. I suppose this idea would work ok for those who don't wear progressives.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15, 02:30 PM  
Vantreesta

When I choose new frames I always test them by jumping around like a fool and doing a forward bend. I agree with Sheepla that yoga in a hot room with them is miserable. I also prefer my glasses for running but it's bc of the high sweat factor making them slide some, not bc of the impact.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses, over 50