Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-15, 11:57 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Anyone still doing Dr. Goodman's "Foundation Training?"

I tweaked my back and shoulder recently (Housework. Housework is dangerous.)

I have his book and DVD and found the workouts so deadly dry and boring. Now, I'm trying the Basic workout again because I hope it will help.

Anyone still doing these?
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I used his materials for awhile last year after my lower back totally seized up on me. I went through PT and it got better, but not well. Eventually, I stumbled onto his workouts (probably someone here recommended it). I did a short YouTube video for awhile and it helped, so I ordered his book and DVD. I ended up doing the basic workout from the book while I watched TV programas with DH. I figured maybe I'd do more while I was watching something else and it seemed to work. It really helped my lower back a lot. I quit when my back felt okay.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:39 PM  
desie

I do this one on you-tube on occasion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

I'm pretty strong and flexible through my joints, but I occasionally goof up and overstretch my lower back doing a forward bend (even though I would be trying to relieve hamstring tension). A few times doing the back extensions in this workout seems to fix things for me. But you do have to be already strong through your back and not in any pain/injury to do the workout.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:41 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I used it for a long time. Now I have spinal issues that get worse with extension. I need to get rid of it so I'm not tempted to try again. Whether or not it helps depends on what's wrong.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 12:46 PM  
desie

Yes, I agree, it depends on what's wrong, to figure out which directions of movement would be beneficial.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 09:58 PM  
Castella

I still use it once a week. I alternate between the original DVD and the new one.

I don't have a specific back issue, and started using the DVD just to strengthen my back. Mostly I have strengthened my lower back, sometimes I think too much, or in a way that I need to somehow balance, because my lower back often feels pinched the next day (tight muscles). I have been doing the decompression breathing daily. If I had a back injury or condition, I would probably approach the workouts very conservatively and maybe not hold the poses as long as they do until it was doable.

I've also tried IntuiFlow and Ageless Mobility (switching gears). I like the idea of IntuiFlow but it isn't as easy to follow as Qi Gong, for comparison, and I always have neck pain the next day. I'm not sure about his insistence that one maintain a level 3 pain throughout. Ageless Mobility is nice but is LONG and more of a time commitment than I can usually make. But it feels good when I do it, even the next day.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 09:12 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies.

I think that even the "Basic" workout would be too much for someone with severe back pain or an injury. I think I would modify some of the moves a bit by not extending my arms over my head.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 10:00 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I do some of the Foundation exercises as part of my wake up routine. I have the Youtube videos in mp4 format on my phone and tablet. The back extensions help strengthen my back. As others have said, you have to know whether back extensions are okay for you, what the cause of your pain is.

I learned back extensions were a great help to me about 12 years ago. After suffering several episodes of slipped discs, I read Robin McKenzie's book "7 Steps to a Pain-Free Life: How to Rapidly Relieve Back, Neck, and Shoulder Pain" and started his program. He had discovered quite by accident that back extensions helped his patients. He would have you begin with simply lying prone and gradually progress, over time, to various modified cobra positions and then a full cobra. There are other exercises but this is where you start if you are in pain.

Tags
back extensions, back pain, dr eric goodman, foundation training