Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-14, 04:52 PM  
Susan

Question about Powerbelt walking belt

Does anyone remember the Powerbelt?

Years ago, Kathy Smith endorsed it, and then it became the Denise Austin Powerbelt, and then the Chris Freytag Powerbelt... but it has always been the exact same item.

Anyway, I had one when Kathy Smith endorsed it, and it included all four levels of resistance. I didn't really like it, so I got rid of it pretty quickly.

Fast forward to today when I just bought another one, because I'm using the treadmill every day and thought it would be a good way to add in a bit of upper body work while I walk without having to use hand weights or weighted gloves. Besides, it was only 20 bucks, so I couldn't resist. It looks absolutely brand new and it even came with the Kathy Smith treadmill workout VHS, so it was like a blast from the past when I opened the box.

Anyway, this Powerbelt only included an attached "base system" powerpak thingie and the Level 1 Powerpak. The instruction sheet was missing from the box, so I can't remember what the "base system" thing is. I thought Level 1 was the base system, but apparently I'm mistaken. The base system pak seems to offer some resistance, but it might be my imagination.

Does anyone remember the difference between the base system and level one?

Also, I know you used to be able to buy the additional powerpaks for levels 2,3, & 4 at Walker's Warehouse, but they're not around any more, so if anyone knows where I can get the other levels, please let me know!

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-14, 05:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

an extremely generous VFer gave me one for SASE, and there were 2 levels of power packs with it (total of 4 reels). i've never needed to use level 2 because level 1 is plenty of resistance for me.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 08:11 AM  
Gams

I love mine and still use it. I have all 4 resistance levels. I always thought level 1 was the starting level, also. I haven't switched from level 2 for quite awhile now, but I'll have to check this out.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 10:02 AM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
an extremely generous VFer gave me one for SASE, and there were 2 levels of power packs with it (total of 4 reels). i've never needed to use level 2 because level 1 is plenty of resistance for me.
I probably won't need the higher resistance levels, either, but I was thinking they might be good for my husband if he starts using the belt.

Of course, that would mean I would have to share...
Old 07-23-14, 10:04 AM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I love mine and still use it. I have all 4 resistance levels. I always thought level 1 was the starting level, also. I haven't switched from level 2 for quite awhile now, but I'll have to check this out.
I thought Level 1 was the starting level, too, but I used the one that's labeled "base system" last night and it seemed like there was some resistance there, so I'm wondering if I'm right about that or if I'm just a 98 pound weakling.

Yeah, right... 98 pounds... not even in my dreams -- but the weakling part might apply!!!
Old 07-23-14, 01:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I thought Level 1 was the starting level, too, but I used the one that's labeled "base system" last night and it seemed like there was some resistance there, so I'm wondering if I'm right about that or if I'm just a 98 pound weakling.

Yeah, right... 98 pounds... not even in my dreams -- but the weakling part might apply!!!
LOL....

i meant to go home and look at mine, but we got home late after meeting some friends for dinner. i just wrote it down to remind myself.

the angle at which the cables traverse might be a factor. you do work your arms and abs with this belt. it's designed really well.

one of the things i did to give me more range of motion was wearing the belt backwards. doing this, i still get plenty of resistance.

i found that the initial "pull" has a higher resistance than the aftermath of when the line is extended further out. in other words, the resistance is not equal from start to finish - it's more front-loaded.

i'm 5'2.5" and have always considered my arms to be short - like when doing some yoga moves, i can't reach as far, but i judged that to be a lack of flexibility. but having used the powerbelt, it's possible that i do have short arms!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 07-24-14, 03:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

hi susan,

gosh i feel like an idiot! i have all 4 resistance levels. the way the resistance is designed is that the belt has level 1 built into the belt. you snap on one of the other levels to increase the resistance. you can only have 1 of the other levels added to the belt.

i have level two on the belt - it snaps right on top of level 1. it's enough resistance for me.

i also remembered that the very generous VFer gave me the 3 vhs videos that came w/it - kathy smith, tom anderson, and debbie dee. i might have tried the kathy video, but i honestly can't remember what it was like.

the case fits the belt and the 3 other resistance level cams (total of 6 cams). when the cams are by themselves, it's difficult to tell what they're for. so if people purchased them and they got separated from the belt, someone could very well toss them not knowing what they were for!

Old 07-30-14, 09:15 AM  
Susan

Quote:
LOL....

i meant to go home and look at mine, but we got home late after meeting some friends for dinner. i just wrote it down to remind myself.

the angle at which the cables traverse might be a factor. you do work your arms and abs with this belt. it's designed really well.

one of the things i did to give me more range of motion was wearing the belt backwards. doing this, i still get plenty of resistance.

i found that the initial "pull" has a higher resistance than the aftermath of when the line is extended further out. in other words, the resistance is not equal from start to finish - it's more front-loaded.

i'm 5'2.5" and have always considered my arms to be short - like when doing some yoga moves, i can't reach as far, but i judged that to be a lack of flexibility. but having used the powerbelt, it's possible that i do have short arms!
I was just searching to see if there were more old threads about the Powerbelt when I noticed that you'd responded again to this thread and I never thanked you! I guess the thread had drifted off the first few pages by the time I got back, and I figured it must have died. OOPS!!!

Thanks for the additional info -- I'm going to try wearing the belt backward and see how it feels.

I kept thinking that the new belt fits me much better than my old one did... and then I realized that I was quite a bit thinner around the waist back then, so that's probably why the old belt was always just a touch too loose.

Let's just say it's not too loose any more...
Old 07-30-14, 09:19 AM  
Susan

Quote:
hi susan,

gosh i feel like an idiot! i have all 4 resistance levels. the way the resistance is designed is that the belt has level 1 built into the belt. you snap on one of the other levels to increase the resistance. you can only have 1 of the other levels added to the belt.

i have level two on the belt - it snaps right on top of level 1. it's enough resistance for me.

i also remembered that the very generous VFer gave me the 3 vhs videos that came w/it - kathy smith, tom anderson, and debbie dee. i might have tried the kathy video, but i honestly can't remember what it was like.

the case fits the belt and the 3 other resistance level cams (total of 6 cams). when the cams are by themselves, it's difficult to tell what they're for. so if people purchased them and they got separated from the belt, someone could very well toss them not knowing what they were for!
Thanks for telling me how the additional levels snap on to the belt. I was thinking I would have to take off the base level to attach the level one powerpak.

My original powerbelt had all four levels, too, but I never noticed any real difference between the levels. I'd be willing to bet that I was attaching them the wrong way all along.

I would definitely like to get the other levels, but it doesn't look like they're being sold anywhere these days. I might eventually get lucky on eBay or something, but if not, I'll have to get over my obsession with having a complete set!
Old 07-30-14, 02:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Let's just say it's not too loose any more...
i think i have the same fitting enhancement!

there was one time when i went walking outdoors - i must have looked like a spectacle - i had the powerbelt on, my HR monitor (w/chest strap), and my music player. i didn't own a gymboss at the time, but it would have completed the picture.

Quote:
Thanks for telling me how the additional levels snap on to the belt. I was thinking I would have to take off the base level to attach the level one powerpak.

My original powerbelt had all four levels, too, but I never noticed any real difference between the levels. I'd be willing to bet that I was attaching them the wrong way all along.

I would definitely like to get the other levels, but it doesn't look like they're being sold anywhere these days. I might eventually get lucky on eBay or something, but if not, I'll have to get over my obsession with having a complete set!
there's a warning on the level 1 part - "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE; SEVERE INJURY MAY RESULT." <= = = that one gave me pause!!! it probably has gears and such on the inside, with a super tight spring. or a tiny squirrel inside, holding onto the cable with her teeth.

the add'l resistance packs "twist" on and click in place. if they weren't clicked in, it would be loose, i think?

Tags
powerbelt walking system