Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-12, 10:38 AM  
Castella

I've done the Advanced Workout twice now. It runs about 45 to 50 minutes, but he doesn't really leave enough time to do the number of reps he suggests you do, so you could easily make it longer. I just do the reps I can get done in the time given, at the recommended pace, and call it good.

My favorite move from this workout is good mornings in the woodpecker pose. It challenges balance, focus and strength and really works the rear chain.

Least favorite, and maybe impossible for me, is a series of founder-based moves done with the feet and knees together. I'm not convinced that my body is built to do this move safely. The second time, I compromised by putting a foam block (the narrow width) between my feet. Even so I couldn't complete the full series of moves, which include squats. For now I'm approaching this stance with extreme caution and stopping when it feels like it's just too much.

I'm not familiar with T-Tapp, other than a few moves that are available for download from the website. What this workout evokes for me is variations on the down dog pose and a few other yoga poses. What I consider down-dog based moves, sort of vertical down dogs (founder, woodpecker) are perfect for me, because I'm not stressing my wrists or shoulders, and I'm strengthening my back (and hams and glutes) while also extending my back. The windmill also seems very yoga-inspired to me. I'm less comfortable with the windmill, because of the emphasis on twisting the spine along its entire length and really pushing into the twist. I'm used to doing this kind of move keeping my hips level and square, my lower back relatively stable, and focusing the rotation in the upper back.

This is in no way a party in a box. I'm happy with my results, though, which are increased lower back strength, increased strength in hamstrings and glutes, and small increased flexibility in hamstrings (if I persist long enough, I think I'll see more flexibility). I've also gained more openness in the hips, which I wasn't expecting but probably is a result of the wide stance moves. I do hamstring and hip stretches after each Foundation workout. I also foam roller my glutes and quads and sometimes my shoulders afterwards.

With the good mornings, I'm not clear on what is supposed to happen with the hips with the move up. Some people are visibly snapping their hips forward, similar to what you see in kettlebell swings. Other people are trying to keep their hips back. If you snap your hips forward, you do have to relax the lower back and not keep it in the fixed founder position. I'm confused because the instructions are that only the hips should move, the glutes should support the hips when they move forward, the back should not go into flexion, but then he says to move the hips more forward.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 01:55 PM  
PennyK

****Old Thread Alert****

Anyone still using this? Any Thoughts? Thanks
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 02:15 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

I was doing Foundation Training regularly this spring and summer. I have had distractions lately so have slacked of all exercise. I really liked doing the short workouts in this version and felt a stronger more tight core which really helped my lower back feel more "controlled" if that makes sense. There are exercises I liked and some that seemed so hard because of lower back issues but I got better. It is dry and less professional that I would like.
Yesterday I just received Foundation Training 2. There are suppose to be more exercises and the sets and productions values look good.
I will probably view the 2 dvds today and report back.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-14, 02:17 PM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaR View Post
I was doing Foundation Training regularly this spring and summer. I have had distractions lately so have slacked of all exercise. I really liked doing the short workouts in this version and felt a stronger more tight core which really helped my lower back feel more "controlled" if that makes sense. There are exercises I liked and some that seemed so hard because of lower back issues but I got better. It is dry and less professional that I would like.
Yesterday I just received Foundation Training 2. There are suppose to be more exercises and the sets and productions values look good.
I will probably view the 2 dvds today and report back.
Tricia
Oh great!!!
Old 09-24-14, 09:45 PM  
Castella

I'm still doing the advanced workout on the original DVD the most often, but only once a week. I'll bust out various moves throughout the week but I don't do an entire flow.

I've done the entire new set of 2 dvds (except the Slow Cooker on dvd 2). For me, the positives of the new set are (not in order of importance):
  • Nicer backdrop and setting
  • Different style of form pointers, more descriptive ("you should feel...") and less prescriptive ("don't let your knees move past...") with more recognition of different body types, bone structures
  • A little more variety
  • Focus on breathing and creating space between the ribcage and hip bones

The negatives are:
  • I still don't like the plank work, it's too complicated and I do a lot of plank variations, these just don't do it for me
  • Still no good back stretches. The decompression moves consist primarily of lifting and holding the ribcage. I still finish off the workout with a good old fashioned lie-on-the-floor, one leg down one leg up back stretch.
  • No warmups and little opportunity to warm up in the different segments. I have to do some of a few founders on my own just to get my hamstrings ready. Learned this the hard way.

With the original DVD, I tend to feel better after the workout and the next day. With the new DVDs, I get a pinched feeling in my lower back, especially when doing the portions where the founder is done with the feet together. So my form is off or something. I'm glad I have all 3. I really think this series needs to include stretches for the back besides just reaching up to the ceiling as much as you can and the occasional child's pose. Some gentle twisting movements would be good too.

My disclaimer is that while I don't have a lot of back pain, my spine is changing in that I can hear and feel the bones grind against each other (this is not a healthy pop). I couldn't 3 years ago. So I tend to be even more conservative about how I move. My goal with the Foundation workout has been back strength. At this point, in between Foundation and kettlebells, the rear command has overtaken the front line from the belly button down and I need to figure out how to regain balance between front and back.
Old 09-25-14, 07:33 AM  
PennyK

Castella, Thanks you for your lengthy reply!!! Do you have something else you use for your back?
Old 09-25-14, 10:10 AM  
donnamp

are these the DVDs?

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Tra...ation+training

Sounds intriguing as one who has suffered on and off w/ back pain for years!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 10:12 AM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
are these the DVDs?

http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Tra...ation+training

Sounds intriguing as one who has suffered on and off w/ back pain for years!

Donna
Yes, these are the ones i was referring to.
Old 09-25-14, 06:44 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

I watched the entire new 2 disc set. I think it is much improved over the first dvd with new exercises and add-ons to some. More professional in filming, set and instructions. I also think the workouts on disc 2 are more advanced.
My goal is to protect my back with it's bulging discs, spinal stenosis and general arthritic problems. I will restart by using the first dvd for 30 days as Dr Eric Goodman suggests and advance to dvd 2. I used the old dvd by continually cycling through all the workouts so I will probably do the same with the new set.
I agree there should be more stretches but will just add them myself. Foundation Training is unique in the world of back and core work and I enjoy it and can feel improvement when consistently practicing.
Disc 1 has a foundation tutorial and 8 workouts of approximately 6 minutes each.
Disc 2 has a decompression breathing tutorial (this needs improvement) and 6 workouts in various times from 6 to 29 minutes.
If you have not seen some of the exercises you can go to the website and there are a variety of clips and a few workouts to do. Go to Videos and blog
www.foundationtraining.com
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 06:32 PM  
Castella

I agree that Foundation is very unique. It has really strengthened my lower back and has performed wonders on opening my hips and helping my right hamstrings.

Other back workouts...I can't think of any other workout that target the back exclusively except for yoga workouts (and I'm not fond of yoga). I do qi gong a bit, and I like the spinal twists. I've tried hanging from a pull-up bar while consciously trying to relax my back to help things open up but I haven't noticed anything coming of that.

Tags
dr eric goodman, esther gokhale, foundation training, posterior chain