Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-13-12, 10:45 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I have only done the basic workout now, but I thought I'd give my thoughts. I think everything I buy is too expensive and this DVD and its shipping are no exception to that, but they did ship within 24 hours, first class. It comes in a cardboard case. Like most rehab DVD's, this is no party in a box. The set is a little dark and the clothes are dark, but I didn't have trouble seeing anybody's form. No mirror cueing, but that won't trip you up. The instructions are clear. The exercisers occasionally also demonstrate what not to do, which is helpful.

There is a little editing mistake in the beginning where they perform the woodpecker stretch twice on the right side, complete with similar sounding form pointers. Other than having deja vu, that's not a problem for me.

It might be nice to keep a mirror around for this so you can see what your back is doing. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

It's a lot easier for me to follow this DVD than the instructions in the book, so so far I'm glad I got it to accompany the book. I don't actively have back pain right now but I did just a week or two ago when I did the book exercises. After the initial strain, I had to wait a day or two for my back to regain support to start but I started as soon as I could and did as much as I could.

Castella, here's a question for you: I was wondering if you do any kind of boxing workouts and how you position your back during those. I am torn on that.
Old 02-13-12, 12:22 PM  
Castella

Sarah-lara,

I always think everything should cost HALF of its actual price. So we are on the same page!

I haven't done boxing workouts for about 9 months. I was doing Olajide pretty regularly. I do feel it's "wrong" to hunch, at least for my purposes (I'm not defending myself, just getting a workout). My posture is naturally shoulders hunched forward, boinging up when I get tense, and back rounded. Anyway, the main reason I eased out of the boxing workouts was neck pain, primarily with the cross punches. It didn't matter if I kept my head forward or moved my head with my spine and torso, I ended up in pain. I wish I could just pop my head off like a doll's head and work out without it.

For the most part, if I'm doing punches, I don't round my back and I don't just twist from the torso, I include my hips. I don't know enough to speculate why Olajide says to round the back, but I would imagine that in the ring, being too upright makes it more difficult to absorb/deflect blows, and that also, being in a somewhat crunch position allows you to explode when you attack. I don't remember Ilaria ever having that hunched posture, I do remember her emphasis on shoulders down and back.

I try to keep all the flex in my knees and hips.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 04:45 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Thanks Castella, that's exactly what I was getting at. I think I will just stand straight up for any boxing then. It's not like I'm going in the ring!
Old 02-13-12, 04:59 PM  
Castella

Here's a link about boxing stance and the "pivot principal"
http://how-to-box.com/content/boxing-tip-16-power-pivot

Just googled it, have no idea how reputable the info is, but there is definitely no mention of rounding or arching the spine.
Old 02-15-12, 12:52 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Thanks Castella for looking that up. It seems like a lot of DVD instructors have that hunch. I assumed it was the recommended form.

I did the 2nd Beginner workout on the Foundation DVD and am even happier about the purchase. This one was under 15 min. The clothing was brighter, which makes it easier for me to see. The exercises were more interesting and involved, to the point that I was a little worried about it at times since my back was recently injured, but also such that I could see there would be a pay off after doing these for a while. I don't have a mirror but again, that it would be very helpful.

They also had a boy as one of the background exercisers, which was a nice touch since they said in the book they now see a lot of children with low back sports-related pain. I imagine you'll have better luck getting your child to do a rehab DVD with this other young person helping demonstrate.
Old 02-16-12, 03:48 PM  
Castella

I was inspired by this thread to do the DVD right away, instead of waiting my usual 6 months (or longer!).

I am happy with the purchase, and I'm also happy that I have the book. I like the anatomical illustrations in the book.

So far, I've done the "How To Do the Exercises" and Basic Workouts 1 and 2. If I hadn't received the book first, I most likely would have skipped all that and have gone straight to the advanced workouts. I'm glad I started at the beginning. The book gave me a good sense of how different these exercises are from what I'm used to doing, and I wanted to be sure to get all the form pointers and basics down.

I'm not going to do a review, just wanted to say that even though the presentation is somewhat dry, it's not deadly. I'm easily bored, and if I can do it, anyone can! I like the man who does the How Tos and Basic Workout 2, because he gives really good form pointers, and a lot of context (like why you are doing what you are doing, and also how you will build from there as you advance).

I like having the workout format, instead of just demos and then you have to figure out how to incorporate them into your routine. The workouts aren't too long so they make good add-ons.

What I really like is that, even though the workouts don't feel wonderful when I'm doing them, AND I tend to boycott static poses that you have to hold, I feel GREAT afterwards! I even feel great the next morning. Do a search on all the posts under my name and I bet you'll never see me ever having said something made me feel GREAT before .
Old 02-25-12, 12:38 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I just wanted to update this since I've done more of the workouts. Great DVD -- I've recommended it so many times already (there are a lot of people with back pain out there). It's nice that the background exercisers are positioned at various angles so you can see what you need to do very clearly. The workouts are short enough that I can do one almost every day.

Beginner #3 is just a 6 minute plank and slow pushup workout, but I found it challenging.

I've done Beginner #2 so often that I can now do it with my own music playing.

Hard to say yet if this is "working," since I didn't have pain when I started and I'm doing a number of things to help my back right now, but the instructor seems to know his stuff and everything is explained well. I like doing this more than I liked V-Core (and I liked V-Core). If this helps prevent back injury, it's well worth the time and money.
Old 02-25-12, 06:35 PM  
donnadc

Thanks everyone for continuing to share about this dvd.
I'm still in the fence about it, mainly because of the price, but I'm getting closer to hopping off the fence and ordering it
donnadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 03:32 PM  
Castella

So in general I consider myself the 'great tosser' when it comes to systems and workout DVDs, there are so few that I stick with. But I have been doing the Basic Workouts since I got the DVD, about 3 times a week.

I started out doing Basic Workout 2 (wide-leg founder, narrower stance founder, good mornings and squats, extension and woodpecker), because I like it better than Basic 1. Then I added Workout 3 (prone extensions), and was doing them in succession. Then I added Basic 4 and have managed to do all 3 in succession for a week now--without dying! This workouts look innocent enough but can leave me completed exhausted. I did have some muscle tightness and stiffness from Basic 4, so now I am foam rolling as a finisher and that's better.

I've gained a lot of strength in my lower and middle back. I'm also see vast improvement in my chest expansions and range of motion in my shoulders. I agree that it would be helpful to see one's back in a mirror. I have stood sideways to a mirror to compare my angles to those of the demonstrators. Mostly I go by what feels right in terms of the weight being where it is supposed to be.

I can consciously brace my lower spine, which is an entirely new experience. I've gained awareness of muscles I knew existed in theory and wanted to strengthen, but couldn't find.

Now that I am familiar with the moves, I can bust them out at work.

I do struggle with some of the plank work because of my weak and tweaky wrists. I tried lifting to a pushup position from the floor with my hands on the floor and paid for it dearly, so now I go forearms first then use pushup bars. I usually like planks with lots of movement (moving legs and so forth) and these are completely static but hard.

I thought I might gain increased flexibility in my hamstrings but that has not happened. I am much stronger in the hams and glutes. These workouts can be sneaky. I don't ever feel like I am consciously working my glutes but they're working alright. I think I'm getting better results glute-wise than I did from the basic squats and lunges and floor work. Also: results! I am getting them!

Not to get all gushy, but this is probably one my best DVD purchases of all time.
Old 03-19-12, 04:06 PM  
rosepetals

I feel that these workouts have lots of potential. I will try to describe why, but it is rather hard to put my thoughts clearly in words as to the technique.

I have only done the beginner level once, but found it easily doable by me, I have neurological issues. My fitness level is beginner-intermediate. Thought I did not notice any improvement in my back issues so far, it is a good workout. In the first workout he uses yoga warrior like positions, lunges, and Skogg's Hip hinging movements to strengthen.

While you are in those positions, he combines in his own unique way, some of the technique in T-Tapp. It is effective in activating the back muscles.

If you are familiar with T-Tapp you will notice some of the moves which activate the muscles in the back in a similar manner. However, his moves the yoga type poses and hip hinging are unique to his workout and are not used in the T-Tapp workouts.

He does not talk about how he does it, but rather shows you by the rotation of the hands and arms. One probably needs to have experienced the T-Tapp workouts to notice the slight moves which create the muscle activation. It is the positioning of the arms and hands that causes the back muscles to be activated or strengthened. His workout is totally different from T-Tapp, but the isometric contraction of the back muscles is utilized.

I feel like I am rambling, but I hope this kind of explains his moves.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr eric goodman, esther gokhale, foundation training, posterior chain