Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-12, 11:49 AM  
KarenH

Foundation Training DVD

I have been using this great DVD for a couple of weeks now and I must say that my backpain is now gone! This DVD has 4 workouts on it and each one is from about 5 minutes to the advanced at 45 minutes. In addition, they also have an additional pre and post workout routines that are about 15 minutes each. It is a totally different way to exercise your core ( front,back, hips thighs and hamstrings). I developed lower back pain from doing barre workouts where you are in a tucked position and the C position ab work. It is explained that being in a tucked position and forward rounding of the spine can cause back pain. This program is done with a flat back-no tucking or rounding at all. I finally got around to the advanced workout and I had such DOMS in my butt and hamstrings. They like planks while doing them in different positions. There is standing and floor work. I even had prior back pain from performing cobra but the way you do the cobra is different and I no longer have any pain. It is a totally different way of exercising your core but now I realize that my pain was from so much tucking of my butt and forward rounding of my spine. You don't realize just how much you round your spine ( sitting, standing, sleeping in the fetal position, etc.) The Foundation people are planning future DVDs to show even more exercises.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 11:58 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Ah Karen, thanks! I was hoping to hear from someone about this.
Sounds like there is a lot more to the DVD than the 22 min clip they have up on youtube. I think I'm going to get this one. I have the book and like the info that is in there but found it confusing to follow along for the exercises.

http://foundationtraining.com/home/

ETA: By the way, is it a pressed DVD?
Old 02-08-12, 01:16 PM  
KarenH

It is a pressed DVD. I started with the clips on You Tube and the DVD takes it beyond them. They correct the individuals who are performing the routines and give alot of form pointers. I had also purchased the book by Esther Gokhale (she is also on youtube) which also recommends doing everything with a flat back. I never realized that I rounded my back as much as I do even when picking up things off the floor. She demonstrates how to use a flat back to reach to the floor and to keep a flat back when you need to keep near the ground (such as in gardening). Esther is a great addition to the Training Foundation DVD as they go hand in hand. She goes more into the mechanics of how the spine is affected by your posture.
Old 02-08-12, 01:19 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

Thanks, that's helpful. I used to have the Gokhale book on my wish list here; I guess it's time to add it back!
Old 02-08-12, 01:28 PM  
Castella

!
I got tired of waiting for reviews so I got the book but I know I will never look at it. Also, reading about exercise/fitness/health doesn't stick with me the way hearing and seeing does.

What to do with the book. Obviously I must have the DVD.

I started doing everything flat back a few years ago. I sit too much and have little flexibility in my spine and decided the last think I needed was more flection. In between that and doing back extensions and generally trying to strengthen my core, including back, I have much less lower back pain.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 03:55 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Sounds interesting... where do you get the book and/or DVD?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 04:50 PM  
KarenH

It can only be ordered from them at foundationtraining.com
If you click on the upper Video link at the top, it will show you a few routines and how to do some of the exercises and you will get the gist of what this type of training is all about. I started with all the videos and it really helped my core.
Old 02-08-12, 05:37 PM  
TriciaR
VF Supporter

I learn best by seeing and hearing too so I just ordered the dvd. It is $29.99 plus $5.61 shipping. A bit pricey but it looks good and I am a sucker for any physical therapy looking routine. I have the book and my husband read it and was actually interested. So I had to get the dvd for him!! I have been having back problems lately so I am really going to work at this routine.
Tricia
TriciaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 08:49 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

How on earth did I miss this thread? The information on Foundation Training looks good. Thank you KarenH for posting this!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 08:55 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review!!! I have been wondering how good it is. I will have to pick it up soon.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr eric goodman, esther gokhale, foundation training, posterior chain