Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-11, 10:00 AM  
Kesal

Thanks for the review -- this set sounds like it would be right up my alley. I really like the 3 days dvd/ 3 days free choice format (I usually modify any rotation to work that way anyway). It's going on my wish list .
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:05 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I also saw this at Target a few weeks ago, but hadn't heard much about it either.

Thanks for the review.

Pam

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:18 AM  
beatchica

Thank you all for being so supportive of my first review!
I really appreciate it.

Here are a couple of answers to some questions that were posted.

What is the level of the workout?
I would say the workout is intermediate to high intermediate. But can be modified for a beginner or taken up a notch for those who want to push it toward a more advanced level. I think being able to regulate the intensity is the benefit of bodyweight only routines.

Is it like Supreme 90 and P90X?
I think this is different from Supreme 90 and P90X because each workout is full body and the focus is more on functional fitness. I personally prefer full body workouts, as I tend to get the best results with a 3 day a week full body routine vs. a split routine where I am working one body part per day. The instructor is somewhat like a non-obnoxious Tony Horton (Don't get me wrong, I love Tony’s energy!) he is friendly, energetic, encouraging and positive, no joking around, but fun and pleasant about getting the work done. The instructor does the workout with you but will stop to give brief exercise form pointers / reminders to help you keep good form throughout your workout. The other thing I like is both the men and women will take turns being the modifier. Example, week 1 it is a woman showing the modifications, but week 5 is a man. I think this is very helpful. The instructor's cueing and counting are spot-on! Lastly the pace of the workouts is not frantic and it is easy to work faster if you want or slower.

Would this be a nice edition to add with marathon training and running?
I actually do think this would be a very complimentary workout to add to one's marathon training or running, dancing or martial arts for that matter I know quite a few runners who strength train with bodyweight only exercises as part of their running regime. I feel that bodyweight workouts are a particularly good edition as you are able to build your base without over training. In my opinion bodyweight workouts provide functional strength, which can help with preventing injuries while enhancing overall performance. I also find bodyweight workouts to be very restorative.

Can you post some video clips?
I wasn’t sure if it would be “legal” to post video clips, but I have posted some still images from the workouts to give you an idea of the look and feel of them. Hope this helps!

Where is the modifier?
In the pictures below, the person on your right as you look at the image is the modifier, the person to the left is the advanced exerciser and the person in the back is working out at a intermediate level.

beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:34 AM  
IrishOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyd0319 View Post
I was thinking of what would be good to add to my running rotation. I'm training for a metric marathon (16.1 miles) and running about 25 to 30 miles a week. I know I need to add some strength training & currently squeeze in 1 total body workout a week. I was thinking of S90 as Tom Holland is big on running marathons and is a long term avid runner. I notice s90 has a lot of core work and moves that benefit runners but I was worried about the pacing and intensity depleting my glycogen too much and finding the time. Do you take a break during race week? Has your performance improved?

I'll be keeping an eye the X-factor set. It does look like it would go well with running and it would be nice not to have to drag out a bunch of weights for once.
I think S90 was a great compliment to my running. During the week I would do the S90 workouts in the wee early moring before work, and then did my runing after work. I would do long runs and a lot of stretching, hip abduction work and core work on weekends. I changed the S90 rotation a little to have the cardio and arm workouts during the week and core workout (ultimate ball) on the weekends. I found that the S90 leg workout is awesome, but just too much with the running. After doing the S90 leg workout, I was too sore to run effectively for two days, so I haven't been doing the leg workout and do my long run in place of it. I have to pause the arm workouts to catch up, but don't mind, and I enjoy the movements as a lot of them are unique from other workouts I have done in the past. I really love the tabata inferno workout and believe it has helped with my cardio endurance, similiar to the way Insanity did, a few years back when I did a rotation of that in conjuntion with my running. I do enjoy S90 better than Insanity with running though because I feel I still get good strength, core and cardio benefits wtih S90. With S90, I had good core and cardio benefits, but I feel my overall strength suffered and I had some annoying low back pain with that combo. I am currently in my tapering week, as the race is next Sunday. I will let you know how it goes. If I set a PR, I will know S90 contributed!

A metric marathon, I think I would like that as I have no desire to do a full marathon, and have never done anything more than 15 miles. If you know of any other metric marathons, that will be happening next year let me know. I am in NY, so nothing that would be mid west or further would be ideal.
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:41 AM  
IrishOT

beatchica, Thanks so much for the additional info and pictures, I think this is definately something I will cave on soon!
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:41 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Well I love Rush Fit, but I also love total body workouts and these sound really good. And what a great price! Dang........I hadn't planned on buying anything but now.....

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 10:52 AM  
adrien_73

I posted about these in another thread. I ended up returning mine because one of the discs was badly scratched & didn't play correctly. There were none in stock at the Target I returned it to so I couldn't get a replacment.

Fortunately I went back to the place of purchase and they had another set! So I am going to give it another shot!

(I also ended up buying the Kettleworx set, so if anyone needs me, you can find me in my workout room!)
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:07 AM  
beatchica

Hi Adrien,

It was your original post that made me get this! Thanks again!
My set was not scratched and I hope your next one is in good shape as well.
I ordered mine online from WallMart, $3 shipping woohoo! Maybe Wallmart got a better batch vs. Target.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:08 AM  
buffmama

These are talking to me - I'm trying not to listen..... la la la
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:42 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
These are talking to me - I'm trying not to listen..... la la la
Same here lol

Is there alot of high intensity stuff like jumping in these videos?
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight exercises, hunky guys with no shirts, nahesi crawford, weider, x-factor st, x-factor xt