Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-11, 09:49 AM  
lorajc

Any New Fitness Books?

I'm looking to purchase a couple fitness or rehabbing pain books Anyone have any recommendations?

Yoga, pilates, kettlebells, weights, different programs utilizing multiple train, etc. Anything would interest me.

In the past, I've liked Denise Austin's, Jillian Michaels, Rachel Cosgrove's, etc
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 01:24 PM  
KathAL79

It's not brand new, but have you looked at Lou Schuler & Alwyn Cosgrove's The New Rules of Lifting for Abs?

Sue B posted a link to this book on another thread: Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise. It certainly looks interesting.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 03:15 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I was just about to post about that - thanks, Kath!

Beat the Gym by Tom Holland is a pretty good guide to gyms, complete with a 20-workout program of gym-machine workouts, and an appendix about home equipment and choosing a trainer.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.

Last edited by Sue B; 05-10-11 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added VF-supporting link
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 03:22 PM  
hotncmom

I just got Slim Calm Sexy Yoga by Tara Styles from the library. Love it It's a great library of poses with photos but also gives routines for everything under the sun. My birthday is in June and this book is at the top of the list. It has routines for insomnia, headache, better orgasms, anxiety, weight loss, strength...a whole bunch of stuff. With this book I may accomplish headstand
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 03:33 PM  
jplain

I just read and enjoyed You Are Your Own Gym, which is focused on bodyweight exercises. The text is sometimes snort-worthy (macho man stuff ), but the exercises and routines look good. My library's Overdrive subscription had it available as an e-book.

The section on bodyweight exercise and weight lifting in Everyday Paleo looks good. The author follows a Crossfit-inspired approach and includes a detailed intro to fitness appropriate for a beginner or for post-pregnancy, as well as information on working toward unassisted pull-ups, etc. She also includes fitness for kids. The author and her children are the models in the unusually detailed photos of the exercises. (The rest of the book discusses lifestyle, diet, and recipes.)
jplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 08:19 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
I just read and enjoyed You Are Your Own Gym, which is focused on bodyweight exercises. The text is sometimes snort-worthy (macho man stuff ), but the exercises and routines look good. My library's Overdrive subscription had it available as an e-book.
I have this one on my newly posted trade list.

Leslie
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 10:11 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I just read "Foundation: redefinie your core, conquer back pain, and move with confidence" by Dr. Eric Goodman and Peter Park. It's focused on strengthening the posterior chain through a 6-week program (2 weeks of each level, 20-40 minutes per workout, 3 times a week).

Very good info, and it's hot off the press. I just wish there were a work-along DVD to go with it!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 10:29 PM  
2ndgen

Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
2ndgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 06:00 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
That looks great! Thanks!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 08:08 AM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
I like this one also--the workouts are short but tough.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, dr eric goodman, foundation, foundation training, overdrive, whbbe, you are your own gym