Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-10, 12:53 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I went to the place I got my glasses and they helped by adjusting the glasses so they don't slide down (as much, they still slide down a little). One thing that helped was that they put on vinyl nose pads. Apparently they are less slippery than the others (don't know what the other are made of) when sweaty.

I had to go in 3-4 times before I got the adjustment just right, but it was worth it.
Old 11-30-10, 02:20 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
Yep, it can happen depending on the thinness of the cornea or the shape of the eyeball. I found out after my surgery that a coworker's daughter had it done (she was legally blind so it was covered by insurance), and the man who went in the operating room before her had one of his eyeballs popped! And this was the same doctor I had used!!!! (You may be wondering, why didn't my cooworker tell me this before! I don't know, I'm wondering the same thing!!!)
OMG is all I can say!!!
It's probably better you didn't know b4 your OP, huh? I'm glad it worked out well for you though!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 05:15 PM  
prisma

Thank you everybody for all the feedback! I think I am going to go to the store tonight and buy some headbands and maybe one of those Croakies things if I can find it. I'm hoping that the headband will work so I don't have to go the Croakies route. I also have some plastic-frame prescription RayBans that I got several years ago and they have NEVER stayed on my nose, even when not sweating. I've had them adjusted tons of places and the plastic in those particular frames will not hold an adjustment. Nothing makes me have a come-apart faster than glasses diving off my nose. (Seriously--it's the level of rage that made Bruce Banner turn into the HULK).

In yoga a few weeks ago, my glasses actually dropped off my head in some downward-facing position. I managed to hold it together, though. I must be really hard on my glasses because they get loose pretty soon after I get them adjusted.

I'm beginning to warm to the idea of Lasik if the funds became available. However, I'm 39, and my eyes are just now beginning to move to that nearsightedness that hits in your 40s. The last time I got the prescription changed in my glasses, it was actually weaker rather than stronger. I know there's no "ideal time" to get Lasik, but it makes me a little nervous doing it while my eyes are undergoing their own little "change of life."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila S. View Post
Just wanted to say I feel your pain. I had a longstanding habit of bringing my hand up to push my glasses back up ....even when I wasn't wearing them!
Sheila, I do this, too! I made an attempt to go back into contacts a few years ago (which didn't work out because I have really dry eyes, too) and I found myself constantly pushing up imaginary glasses.

Loretta--I love your avatar!
prisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 07:36 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieb726 View Post
I have a couple of cloth headbands like this (http://www.goody.com/#/grid/default/...ntle_headbands) that are wide (1.5 to 2 inches) that cover the handles of my glasses quite well and keep sweat out of my eyes in the process..lol. I have this one as well and it actually covers my handle about half way down and keeps it from slipping (http://www.scunci.com/products.php?p...roducts_id=553). I have tons of headbands because having my hair in my face drives me nuts.

Hope that helps!

Kris
I can't get the goody.com link to work, but the other does. Thanks! I also can't stand my hair in my face. You'd think I'd get it cut short, but the one time I did that, EEK, there was someone else in the mirror.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 09:56 PM  
NancyW

I remember back in the day, before soft contacts, the kids on my son's basketball team used to wear a type of strap that was made for that purpose. I'm sure they still sell them.

Check Drillspot.com. It's called an eyewear retainer.

Nancy

http://www.drillspot.com/products/55...r_retainer?s=1
NancyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 11:51 PM  
Mary09(b)

Does anyone use progressive, no-line bifocals? I'm thinking of giving up the on/off reading glasses and just trying bifocals. I have one sister who adores the progressive ones and one who hated them.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 12:30 AM  
Sheila S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09(b) View Post
Does anyone use progressive, no-line bifocals? I'm thinking of giving up the on/off reading glasses and just trying bifocals. I have one sister who adores the progressive ones and one who hated them.
Yes, I have them and like them. They gave me a headache and made me feel a bit dizzy for the first couple of days. Since then, they've been fine. However, I'm nearsighted enough that I need my glasses for anything beyond my fingertips so I have to wear glasses all the time (except reading in bed!). If you're just wearing your glasses on and off throughout the day, it may be difficult to adjust to the progressives.

Sheila
Sheila S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 09:33 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have trifocals and I have the ones with the lines. I like to know where each territory ends and the next one begins.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 09:38 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have them. I need bifocals, and I would NEVER wear the ones with lines, given the choice: I don't need any additional visible signs of aging!.

The first few days are tough (things seems distorted, and going downstairs is quite an ordeal), but your brain and eyes adapt.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 09:57 AM  
Mary09(b)

Thanks for the feedback. The clerk at Costco's glasses counter did tell me to get used to them I'd probably need to wear them all the time. I'm still chewing on if that would be easier or harder than the all day, on/off thing. I actually like glasses as an accessory but I imagine it gets old having the dents on your nose all day and that sort of thing.
Mary09(b) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses