Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-10, 08:00 AM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieb726 View Post
I've worn glasses since I was eight (I'm 38 now) and I have this down to a science..lol. Besides which they(doctor or center like lens crafters) actually do the same thing when they heat up the plastic, it's just a mounted dryer. I wouldn't suggest that you mess around with the portion that holds in the lenses, but it is quite easy to adjust the bend in the handle.

Kris
Good for you! I know that is what they do but one told me of people who ruined glasses doing it at home.
Old 11-30-10, 08:13 AM  
Sheila S.
VF Supporter

Just wanted to say I feel your pain. I had a longstanding habit of bringing my hand up to push my glasses back up ....even when I wasn't wearing them!
Thankfully I broke that habit thanks to a pair of rimless, drill-through frames with little nose pads that stay put better than anyone's business. I love these glasses! (not the green and pink ones in my avatar - they're my Friday glasses !

Sheila
Sheila S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 10:20 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Hmm...maybe I'm not working out intensely enough, since I always wear glasses, and I never have problems with this.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 10:54 AM  
kat999

Bobby pins. Secure the back stem or top of the earpiece to your hair. Similar in theory to the headband but even cheaper.
Old 11-30-10, 11:16 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisma View Post
Am I the only one with this problem? I wear glasses exclusively (no contacts) and both pairs I own have plastic frames with molded nose pieces, not the separate little nose pads that a lot of glasses have. When I start sweating heavily, my glasses exit my face via the tip of my nose and this drives me CRAZY. I'm blind enough that i can't take them off for the duration of the workout, but depending on the sweat/slippage level, I can build an inner rage that really detracts from my workout.

Anyone else have this problem or a solution?
Lasik surgery.

I'm only half kidding - I felt your pain for many years, although I used my contacts mainly when I worked out because the glasses issues drove me NUTS. I just couldn't stand it any longer and got surgery last January.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 11:27 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Lasik surgery.

I'm only half kidding - I felt your pain for many years, although I used my contacts mainly when I worked out because the glasses issues drove me NUTS. I just couldn't stand it any longer and got surgery last January.

Best. Decision. Ever.
Me too! I had been wearing contacts, but developed dry eye and couldn't wear them anymore. So I was wearing glasses all the time for a couple of years and could not STAND IT any more, working out with glasses! But I don't like to suggest lasik because if they pop your eyeball, I would feel guilty for the rest of my life!
Old 11-30-10, 11:29 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Lasik surgery.

Best. Decision. Ever.
Man... I wish I wouldn't be such a coward when it comes to that subject!

As to the OT, I wear glasses to 99% of the time too but for working out I actually go 'blind'. Well.. not really, I can still see (fairly) well enough w/o glasses.. The edges are all a bit fuzzy in the 'picture'
I can't stand it when my glasses slide off my nose when I'm sweatty and only for working out I'm too lazy to put in contacts.

Sorry I'm no real help!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 11:30 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post
Me too! I had been wearing contacts, but developed dry eye and couldn't wear them anymore. So I was wearing glasses all the time for a couple of years and could not STAND IT any more, working out with glasses! But I don't like to suggest lasik because if they pop your eyeball, I would feel guilty for the rest of my life!
What the...!!! Ok, forget it, no Lasik for me! LOL (Seriously, I think the problem for me is that I have a big fear of blindness, which is why I never further investigated the Lasik option..)

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 11:37 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
What the...!!! Ok, forget it, no Lasik for me! LOL (Seriously, I think the problem for me is that I have a big fear of blindness, which is why I never further investigated the Lasik option..)
Yep, it can happen depending on the thinness of the cornea or the shape of the eyeball. I found out after my surgery that a coworker's daughter had it done (she was legally blind so it was covered by insurance), and the man who went in the operating room before her had one of his eyeballs popped! And this was the same doctor I had used!!!! (You may be wondering, why didn't my cooworker tell me this before! I don't know, I'm wondering the same thing!!!)
Old 11-30-10, 12:02 PM  
Kesal

My sunglasses have the solid plastic frames without nose pieces, and they do slide. Sometimes when I am exercising while wearing them, I'll use a glasses cord. But usually when I'm wearing my sunglasses, I'm doing something upright like running or rollerblading, so they're not actually falling off my face even without a cord (I just have to keep pushing them up).

For my indoor workouts, I have tight fitting glasses with separate nose pieces, and they really don't slide even when I do pushups or burpees. I can't do anything without my glasses; I'm just too blind.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses