Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-07, 10:05 PM  
14yrbeliever

Talking

Ok, I had never heard of a Powerbelt until I read this thread today.

Of course, that didn't stop me from going to Amazon to order it right after I closed the thread! Even though I didn't know what a PB was until 30 min ago, I apparently had been needing one of my own very badly! Who knew?
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 06:29 AM  
Bebop

I feel funny using it walking too,although I know it would be great (maybe I'll figure out a way to hide it under a workout top

You guys have inspired me. I'm going to try it with diffrent tapes and I'll let you know on this thread how it worked.

Anyone else up for the challenge? I'm going to try it right now with a Denise Austin workout and I'll report back. I'm inbetween rotations so this will be fun to do while I figure out what I want to do next month.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:29 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41
I am going out of town at the end of the month, and plan to do a lot of outdoor walking. I SHOULD take my powerbelt, I know. It is silly of me to worry about what others think. I bought the thing, and all of the weight add-ons. And, I have been thinking about how I can make my walking more challenging. Yep, I am going to take it! To heck with what others may think! I am glad I am not the only one, though!
Sherry: good for you!

I'm afraid that beyond increasing speed (I'm working towards a faster-than-14 minutes/mile average on my hourly workouts--and once I hit that, I'll go for even faster) or distance, most of the ways to increase walking intensity can make one rather self-conscious: walking poles (yeah, I can just see the looks I'd get using poles to walk around town), power belt, weighted vests or belts (probably the least noticeable to others), retro walking (I think this would probably get the most "what in the ...!!" looks of all!) (for all who don't know: retro walking isn't walking like in the 1940's , but walking backwards.

I think the only solution may be to build up to a speed that allows you to get out of range of oglers and hecklers ASAP before adding any intensity modifiers!

Gardengirl: Here's what a powerbelt is www.powerbelt.com . It allows you to get upper body resistance without the strain on the joints that handweights can lead to, and at varying intensities. A great idea, but I'd only feel comfortable if I weren't the only one doing it!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:29 AM  
Bebop

I did it this a.m. with the Denise Austin Bootcamp - first interval workout.

It did kick up the intensity. This is fun - a new toy that I had all along.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 11:24 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Why do I read these threads?? now I want one.
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 10:49 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Unhappy

I dug my Powerbelt out of storage and tried it for some arm moves (walking in place). I don't think it's going to work for me. When the resistance packs are in a position that doesn't interfer with the backward movement of my elbows, the cords rub against the belt, making an annoying "tshhhh ttshhh tshhh" sound, and probably will wear out the cords and/or belt sooner. When I move the resistance packs forward, so there is no rubbing, they are in the way of my elbows (If I do the right kind of arm swing for power walking). But no matter where they are, the friction of the cords heats up the metal 'outlet' on the resistance packs, and I can easily see myself getting burns from my arms touching it.

Poo!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 02:31 PM  
adrien_73

Reviving this thread...

I just received my Powerbelt from sears.com this week. I used it yesterday with WATP for abs & I can't believe how tough it felt!

I did jog lightly through most of it and I kept my arms moving with the belt when they were not. I was only using the Level 2 power packs, and now I am wondering why I went ahead & ordered Level 3 & 4 upgrades! Level 2 was tough enough! I had to stop several times to give my arms a rest.

I wore my HRM, and throughout the 46 min. I was in my zone for 40. HR was 141 ave and 160 max. Burned 360 cals!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 02:11 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I really have not thought about using my powerbelt while doing Leslie workouts . I think I will try it this tonight when I do Leslie's WS 2-mile workout!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerbelt walking system, tjmaxx