Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-21, 06:37 PM  
Mickey12

Jade yoga mat

Does anyone use a Jade mat? Every time I see an ad for Jade mats in Yoga Journal, it makes me want one. I have two Manduka ones that I like a lot and a couple from Gaiam and another brand I can’t recall. Those are ok too, but the Manduka mats are definitely stickier.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-17-21, 07:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have a Jade, bought it used a couple of years ago. It’s a really good mat, not thick but heavy, dense, & very non slip.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 08:03 PM  
cyana

Jade Fusion Extra-Long - my soul-mate yoga mat. It's over 12 years old and going strong. I purchased it when I was doing studio yoga on hard floors (including concrete) in Sedona Red (color no longer available). I've also used it for hot yoga with no slipping. The Harmony is probably the most popular Jade mat. I also like how Jade sells extra-long versions of their mats.

I also have Manduka Pro and prAna E.C.O. mats, for reference. I know lots of people love their Manduka Pro, but I'm not one of them. I've done everything known to mankind to try to get the slippery finish off of it (including scrubbing it with a wire brush and putting it in the sun to dry per instructions of the very nice people at Manduka). It is an extremely durable mat. I purchased the prAna E.C.O. from REI with gift cards several years back. It's light as a feather and was great to schlep to class when I walked back and forth from the yoga studio.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 08:29 PM  
Mickey12

Thanks for the replies. I need a new mat like a hole in the head. Their advertising is so compelling though. I have been eyeing the orange one. Then I saw the limited edition pink and saffron ones but those are no longer available.
Old 01-18-21, 11:20 AM  
laurajhawk

I have both Jade and Manduka, and I use the Mandukas. The Jade is much stickier, and was perfect when I was doing hot yoga, but it bunches up a bit on carpet, so it doesn't work for me at home. I'll use it again when I'm back to the studio, because the one I belong to now has hot classes.

I actually wore out a Jade Harmony mat when I was doing hot yoga, and bought a new one - the one I'm (currently) not using. Be aware that because of the natural rubber, it wears faster than Manduka. (I have three Mandukas and expect I'll die with the same three; they don't wear out.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-21, 11:56 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I need a new mat like a hole in the head. Their advertising is so compelling though. I have been eyeing the orange one. Then I saw the limited edition pink and saffron ones but those are no longer available.
Did you say ... orange?!😃

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 12:25 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Did you say ... orange?!😃
Why yes, yes I did. Tibetan Orange, 68" Harmony mat, $79.95
Old 01-19-21, 12:57 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
Why yes, yes I did. Tibetan Orange, 68" Harmony mat, $79.95
Enabler Extraordinaire!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-21, 01:43 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I have both Jade and Manduka, and I use the Mandukas. The Jade is much stickier, and was perfect when I was doing hot yoga, but it bunches up a bit on carpet, so it doesn't work for me at home. I'll use it again when I'm back to the studio, because the one I belong to now has hot classes.

I actually wore out a Jade Harmony mat when I was doing hot yoga, and bought a new one - the one I'm (currently) not using. Be aware that because of the natural rubber, it wears faster than Manduka. (I have three Mandukas and expect I'll die with the same three; they don't wear out.)
Interesting! I also have Jade and Manduka, and I prefer the Jade. It doesn't seem stickier, but it's a little thinner and I find I can balance better. It does move on the carpet if I'm doing a vigorous practice. One time when I finished I took a look and realized I was forward and at a diagonal from where I started.
Old 01-19-21, 07:52 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Enabler Extraordinaire!!
Hahaha, at least I didn't provide the link to the website. (I don't know how to do that or I would have )

Tags
jade yoga mat, yoga mat, yoga mats