Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-20, 07:42 AM  
alisoncooks

Are you wanting a book to teach knitting or have patterns?

I taught myself to knit about 15 years ago using this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting...320481&sr=8-21

But if she already has the hang of it from videos, maybe a themed pattern book? Does she like Harry Potter? https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-...4320616&sr=8-1

Or look up "knit anigurumi" and you'll find lots of books with adorable mini-animal patterns. Anigurumi is a Japanese thing and likely to be popular with teens (and me, lol).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 09:04 AM  
Dontmindthemess

When I relearned knitting as an adult I really loved Debbie Stoller’s Stitch ‘N Bitch. It’s great for beginners and has quite a few patterns. It also has a great message about respecting and reclaiming these traditional female crafts as modern people. I’ve noticed over the years since the early 2000s that there’s less and less new knitting books. Kind of like how workout dvds are dwindling compared to online and streaming. There’s still a ton of stuff out there but it’s just in a different format.

I buy most of my patterns through Ravelry and I prefer having a pdf pattern rather than one in a book. Ravelry also has a ton of free patterns and so many resources. It’s seriously the best website ever!!

As a maker I think it’s totally awesome that’s you’re encouraging a future maker. I try to get as many people involved in my crafts as possible. Last night I convinced one of my neighbors to get out her sewing machine. Crafting is just so fulfilling and it’s a great way of connecting us.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 09:21 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post

As a maker I think it’s totally awesome that’s you’re encouraging a future maker. I try to get as many people involved in my crafts as possible. Last night I convinced one of my neighbors to get out her sewing machine. Crafting is just so fulfilling and it’s a great way of connecting us.

Jane
I agree. We need more people involved in crafting, but in the old methods especially. I love that Tugger's niece is taking it up. We need to encourage more young people.

And here's a sampler afghan pattern that teaches new stitches with each block.

I knit, embroider, and crochet, and I would be heavily sedated or a raging substance abuser if I didn't. It's therapy, it's prayer, it's pure joy as I watch the pattern establish itself through the works of my hands.

But it's heartbreaking that it's not done by more people. I learned to knit when I was 7 years old. I learned to embroider when I was 8. I taught myself to crochet the summer after I graduated from college (and I'm prouder of that achievement than my bachelor's degree).

My maternal grandmother (who died at the age of 92) has (had?) 11 granddaughters. I'm the only one who knits or crochets or embroiders. I've offered lessons to my cousins, their daughters, and their granddaughters, and not one of them has taken me up on it. I do have a niece who knits and sews, both of which she taught herself to do. So there's some hope.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 10:57 AM  
Vantreesta

My grandmas taught me how to crochet and my mother-in-law and aunt have helped me improve. My mom taught me how to cross-stitch and embroider. I crochet regularly and agree that it's therapy. For me it is also a self-esteem boost bc when I look at what I've accomplished and know that it's smthg people would actually pay good money for I am amazed that it came from my hands. Baking and candy making are the same thing for me. Someday I hope to learn to knit. Since 3 of the 5 women who taught me these hobbies are gone now, I feel an even deeper connection and desire to keep doing them.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 11:14 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
When I relearned knitting as an adult I really loved Debbie Stoller’s Stitch ‘N Bitch. It’s great for beginners and has quite a few patterns. It also has a great message about respecting and reclaiming these traditional female crafts as modern people. I’ve noticed over the years since the early 2000s that there’s less and less new knitting books. Kind of like how workout dvds are dwindling compared to online and streaming. There’s still a ton of stuff out there but it’s just in a different format.
I taught myself to knit about 20 years ago with Stitch 'N Bitch and Knitting for Dummies. Ravelry is a terrific resource, too. Here are a few other books I've enjoyed, some of which are more about the culture and community than pattern or technique books:
  • Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti
  • Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman
  • Knitting Rules! by Stephanie Peral-McPhee
  • Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
  • Knitlandia: A Knitter Sees the World by Clara Parkes

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 01:20 PM  
seww

Vogue Knitting is a fabulous resource book that I'd certainly recommend to any new knitter.
Also check out
Knit Collage. It might really appeal to your niece. The Knit Collage brand is sold at Anthropology too!

https://www.amazon.com/Vogue®-Knitti...s%2C213&sr=8-1

https://knitcollage.com
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 02:48 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:

I buy most of my patterns through Ravelry and I prefer having a pdf pattern rather than one in a book. Ravelry also has a ton of free patterns and so many resources. It’s seriously the best website ever!!

Jane

Agree totally with all of this post. I checked out Stitch 'n Bitch from the library when I was returning to knitting after a long hiatus. It was a great book to read as far as knitting history and helped me with a few skills but I never ended up buying the book because it was a little too basic. Plus, I mainly learn things from youtube (via video vs. looking at a picture*) and buy (or download free) patterns from ravelry. The only knitting books I've bought are for their stranded colorwork charts (this was recently because I'm teaching myself stranded knitting). Oh, and of course Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Top-Down Sweaters. But these are more advanced knitting reference books that I felt were worth keeping on hand.

I do admit I checked out Rebecca Danger's 50 Yards of Fun from the library and ended up scanning/copying almost every page. Probably should have just bought that book. Depending on your niece's skill level, she might enjoy it.

*There are some excellent (free) websites that teach skills via pictures/illustrations that are easier to reference than a book for me at least. For example, before I got decent at seaming, I was constantly referencing Vogue Knitting's online seaming pics because for me, I learn seaming better through pictures usually:

https://www.vogueknitting.com/patter...ing/finishing/

And TECHknitter's blog has a wealth of knowledge:
http://techknitter.blogspot.com/2010...index-for.html

Often it's through ravelry and patterns linked to or purchased from there that lead me to youtube and the TECHknitter blog. Because the patterns themselves will sometimes force you to have to learn/practice new skills. Plus, people often put in their project notes helpful hints and techniques to make the pattern come out better. That's how I often end up on youtube or TECHknitter's blog--trying to make a pattern come out even better based on other knitters' trial and error or better knitting skill set/knowledge base.

I would say most of my money is spent on knitting tools and yarn (both of which can get expensive). I transitioned off of straight needles pretty quickly once I got going with knitting again. So if I'm knitting flat I use my Chiaogoo interchangeables or if I'm knitting circular I use double pointed needles (I have A LOT of DPNs). Or, for teeny-tiny circular things, I use magic loop technique using my Chiaogoo interchangeables.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 03:00 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Debbie Stoller has several knitting books, and i agree, as an adult knitting restarter, that series (stitch & bitch) is really good. our library had many of her books, and that series really engaged me. someone mentioned amigurumi - that's another way to get into knitting and crocheting on a small scale. the library has a lot of knitting books that you can look at too.

there's so many blogs and videos online for people to do little projects and slowly graduate to advanced.

during the pandemic, the entire knitting and crochet section of Walmart was completely wiped out! that brought a smile to my face.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 04:22 PM  
Tugger31

Thanks for all the info gives me alot to think about! I don't know her skill level other than "beginner", she just started a scarf, not sure she has done anything more than that. I know she has a set of straight needles. Other than that I'm a bit clueless as to what would be a good gift. I can't even sew on a button and I've never bought yarn in my life so I'm a bit in the dark here lol! I'm trying to make up a nice Xmas gift for her. She's been a bit depressed, much like everyone else, with the pandemic and missing her friends. I have a gift card for a small amount from JoAnne's which is right near her house, but gift cards aren't as fun to open! My sis told me that my niece already has an acct set up on Ravelry.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 04:37 PM  
alisoncooks

The gift card is a great idea. She'll probably appreciate being able to get yarn of her choosing or a new size needles (like all hobbies, they can add up!)

A couple of years ago I did a major purge and gave away my entire knitting collection (it was extensive). I don't so much regret it for myself, but now that I have teens, it'd be nice to have (especially these days). Oh well.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knitting