Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-16, 07:29 AM  
margaux

advice on foot pain

I have been suffering with ball of foot burning with pain extending to second toe. Have had it for a long while and basically ignored it until it got worse and sent me to foot dr. Have been given steroid pills, taped foot, shoe insert, VERY painful steroid injection in foot Nothing has worked. Foot pad which cushioned the area helped a little. Only other options are to wear air cast or lastly surgery. So frustrating to not be able to do cardio. I am beginning to worry that there is not an answer for me. Anyone else experience this? What worked for you? Thanks for any thoughts on this
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-16, 08:10 AM  
owltx

Margaux -

I don't have any experience/advice, I just wanted to say how sorry I am you are going through all this! To have sought out help and tried so many different things and no relief - how frustrating!

Hopefully someone else will have had experience with this. Good luck.
Old 09-02-16, 08:12 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Did your foot doctor name the condition? It sounds to me like it could be Morton's Neuroma, although it generally appears between 3 - 4 toe. That's where mine is. I've had it for about 4-5 years and I've had steroid injection in my foot, but it didn't help. The shoe insert didn't help because I found it hard to position it in exactly the right area to relieve the pain. When I have a particularly bad flare up, icing the area helps - temporarily. My doctor mentioned surgery as a possibility, but didn't encourage it as a solution. I wear wide, comfortable shoes and here I am 5 years later with no real remedy. I just manage my flare ups. Good luck to you!
Old 09-02-16, 09:49 AM  
SandyO

That describes my right foot pain exactly. I tried the metatarsal pads which did help with the pain, but I kept running, and last fall my second toe actually crossed over the top of my great toe which of course has a bunion. For me what finally helped was getting Correct Toes.

https://www.correcttoes.com/shop/correct-toes.html

I didn't want to spend $65, so I went a year using the metatarsal pads. I also switched to Altra shoes. They are zero drop and have wider toe boxes.

After the toe crossed over, I finally got the Correct Toes, and I kick myself for not getting them a year sooner. Maybe my toe would never have crossed over. I trail run and can go three hours in my cushioned Altras with the toe separators pain free.

Sandy O
Old 09-03-16, 08:50 AM  
rosepetals

I used to have it so severely that it left me in tears. I would cry into a pillow to hide the pain from hubby.

Burning is nerve pain and damage. The Dr. tried all kinds of meds. None worked.

What worked was taking Benfotiamine supplement. Benfotiamine, or benphothiamine, is marketed as a lipid soluble form of the B vitamin thiamine. Preliminary human studies indicate that it may be helpful in diabetic neuropathy and to reduce microvascular damage from high blood sugar. Much more research is needed before we determine the appropriate dosage and whether long term use has side effects that are of concern. There are some scientists who are skeptical of the benefits of this nutrient. More research is needed. I also used a product called the medical rebuilder. It helps to stimulate the nerves which decreases the pain. Its like a tens machine, but works differently. It has different settings which are more effective.

It takes time for the benfotiamine to work.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 10:10 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
For me what finally helped was getting Correct Toes.

https://www.correcttoes.com/shop/correct-toes.html

I didn't want to spend $65, so I went a year using the metatarsal pads. I also switched to Altra shoes. They are zero drop and have wider toe boxes.
those look almost exactly like Yoga Toes, which i've had for several years, recommended here on VF. I remember balking at what i paid, $35.

yogatoes was the original, and many knock-offs have come out since then.

i wear them around the house and sometimes when i sleep. i use it when i have a little pain in my arches - probably a mild PF.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 10:31 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
those look almost exactly like Yoga Toes, which i've had for several years, recommended here on VF. I remember balking at what i paid, $35.

yogatoes was the original, and many knock-offs have come out since then.

i wear them around the house and sometimes when i sleep. i use it when i have a little pain in my arches - probably a mild PF.
The Yoga Toes look too bulky to wear inside shoes. I had a pair of the knock offs which I wore sleeping or watching TV, but being able to wear the Correct Toes in my shoes all the time has made the biggest difference for me.

Sandy O
Old 09-03-16, 11:20 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
The Yoga Toes look too bulky to wear inside shoes. I had a pair of the knock offs which I wore sleeping or watching TV, but being able to wear the Correct Toes in my shoes all the time has made the biggest difference for me.

Sandy O
Yes I love my yoga toes, but agree they most definitely are way too big to wear in shoes! Those Toe Correctors look awesome!

Margaux if you want to see if stretching your toes is beneficial before spending big bucks on Toe Correctors, you can try inexpensive generic toe stretchers available at your local pharmacy or on Amazon. They are still too big to wear in shoes, but you can wear them for an hour or more when you have time to put your feet up.
Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/DenadaDance-T...rs+for+bunions

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 11:32 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Those Correct Toes remind me a little bit of Joya Toes.

I wear mine to bed, and I can walk barefoot in them. I've had them for years.

They're great, and cheaper than Correct Toes.

PS I have Yoga Toes and almost never wear them. They are too bulky to use under the covers and I can't walk in them. For me Joya Toes is a much better product.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 09-03-16 at 11:33 AM. Reason: PS
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 02:36 PM  
margaux

Thank you all for responding and offering what has helped you. I am using a toe straightener pad in my shoe which helps a little. Dr did mention condition sounds like a neuroma but X-ray and MRI did not show anything. I am considering wearing the air cast for a few weeks and maybe invest in an exercise bike so that I can continue with cardio without any pressure or impact on the foot. GRRR...I love my workouts but maybe if I really baby it and take some Advil, maybe I will get some improvement. Thanks again. So nice to know I am not alone in this.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot injury