Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-13, 09:57 PM  
lesliep

At home cycling: Peloton & Soul Cycle

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2013/0...nning-at-home/

I just stumbled upon this article and was instantly intrigued. I also read that Soul Cycle is planning a digital option as well (downloads) this fall?

Home cycling enthusiasts: what are your thoughts? Were any of you in spinning classes originally and moved to a home setting?

I have been giving some serious thought to investing in a home spinning bike, but have worried about motivation... I will admit that I have liked the classes at my local Y (for the accountability) but the times are difficult for me.
Old 08-05-13, 06:44 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I spin at home a couple times a month. At first I used the itrain (iride) audio workouts. Now I use Cathe's. I enjoy her workouts.

This Peloton thing really appeals to me but the price is high. First, $39 a month for classes is a lot. Especially because it is only one kind of class (all cycling). Also, despite what they say in the article, I think the price of the bike is high. I bought mine used for $600. Why would I want to buy another bike for 3 times the price I paid for mine? Even if I didn't already have a bike, I don't know that I would be willing to pay that much.

It says that they did research of the home exercise industry . . . but I feel like we ARE the home fitness industry and I don't see many people here paying that kind of money for a new bike or streaming classes. Those are New York prices, not real world. And those of us that are committed to home exercise have so many other less expensive choices out there.

Now, if the bike were under $1000 and classes stream at $10 a month, then I might be tempted. (of course, if I'm wrong and tons of people on this site love the workouts and rave and rave . . . then, I'll sell one of my children to buy a bike and pay for streaming classes)
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 07:21 AM  
lesliep

I was thinking that the monthly price was high too... I would also worry about investing in the computer attached to the bike. Sweat-proof is great, but is it kid-proof? My kids are all over my stuff when I'm not looking...

I definitely like the idea of downloads via my television/Internet. This seems to be the direction that Soulcycle is going; music licensing is the hold up.

http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2013/0...t-this-summer/

At any rate, it's appearing to be an exciting time in this industry. I am going to wait to purchase a bike until this is all ironed out.

Curious to hear from others that transitioned from spinning/cycling class structure to home environment cycling.
Old 08-05-13, 08:35 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

I started spinning at my local gym. I was lucky to hit upon a fantastic instructor my first time out. I've been in classes with some not so great instructors (too easy!), too, but managed to find two that really push me.

I liked spin so much that I then bought a spin bike for home. In part because my gym becomes so crowded in January-February, that I was spending more time in line for the spin class than in the spin class. Even then, I sometimes wouldn't be able to get a bike. Plus, I had Cathe's spin workouts that I'd never been able to try. Since I normally work out at home, I figured I wouldn't have a motivation problem.

In the end, I still spin at the gym, but not during busy times or if it's inconvenient for me. I also spin at home and nope, no motivation problem.

Although I just love Cathe, her spin workouts aren't my favorites, but I love, love, love the workouts put out by the Sufferfest. They're different from a regular spin class and feature footage from professional races (think Tour de France). The music is great and the guy who makes them has a fantastic sense of humor. I always get a good workout, have fun and am a sweaty mess.

I also make up my own spin workouts. After you go to enough spin classes, it's pretty easy to do, and you'll find yourself kicking your own butt.

I wear a HRM to my gym classes, and while I can never quite duplicate the heights my one instructor takes me to (she's just brutal), I can easily match the effort of the other instructor (and he's really hard). FYI, I wouldn't want to match the efforts of the one instructor...there are times when I think she's actually trying to kill me, and that's not something I want to go through on more than a weekly basis.

Oh, and even when I can get in my gym classes, I still spin at home, so I'm spinning more than ever. I really enjoy it and love being able to do it whenever I want.

Good luck!

Pam
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 04:02 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

There are a quite a few less expensive options. You can buy Cathe's spinning downloads for less than a month on the systems mentioned.

MotionTraxx has both free and pay spinning mixes - audio only.

GymBox is a streaming service that is 9.99 a month and puts out new videos weekly. Usually two bike workouts a week, 30 and 60 minutes. PLUS you get strength, step, barre, kickboxing, yoga, pilates and more. Hundreds to choose from.

Podrunner and Podrunner intervals might work for you too. These are free music podcasts.

iCycles from iTrain are good too, but not worth what they cost now. But you may be able to get deals on sets of these. Also audio only.

I have a spinning bike that i use occasionally. I would probably use it more if it weren't in the basement. I have several very pleasant places to workout elsewhere in the house.

Oh, I find that running and climbing (elliptical or stair climbing) mixes are very easy to adapt to the bike.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 04:18 PM  
Leonana

I started spinning when I got PF in my foot. My foot's better, but I have found that I love spinning.

I'm really limited on money, so something that expensive would be out of my reach. I got my bike off of Craig's List. I use free you tube spinning videos. My favorites are from RealFitTv.
Old 01-03-16, 03:31 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Coming back to this post to say that I have now tried 2 of the Peloton streaming workouts and I LOVE them and I really, really want one of their bikes so I can see all my stats.

Considering selling a child.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 04:27 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Hee hee on selling the kids. I'm not sure that spinning bikes and small children are a good match. You can unplug a device that needs electrical service.

I've used the bike on and off, and my husband uses it now. So. we've gotten use out of it. We have a brand I don't think they make anymore.

I've started spinning at the gym again. Beware of bikes with pedals that are geared toward bike shoes. I belong to 24 hour fitness and the bikes at one of the gyms near my house - the spinning pedals are too narrow and they aggravate my ankle and knee issues with regular sneakers. It isn't hard to put on your own pedals though.

Spinning really is a good workout.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot injury, stairs