Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-12, 03:30 AM  
hollymarie

I sincerely appreciate all of these thoughtful replies--they have given me so many options to consider.

Yesterday I purchased a lower back support belt which seems to be helping a bit.

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 04:07 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post
Gary Kraftsow's Viniyoga Therapy series (upper and lower back DVDs) can be effective, though he's very dry.
I recently had an issue with my lower back and I used the lower back DVD by Kraftsow. It helped immensely. And, yes, his DVDs are about as exciting as watching paint dry, but it was worth it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 08:44 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I've had several bouts of low back pain myself. The thing that helped me the most after I was suffering for two months at the start of this year and had tried all kinds of self-care (including various yoga, self-massage, and going to a chiropractor as well) was going to a massage therapist. She suggested that my hip flexors were tight from sitting too much (driving, desk work, etc.), and she gave me some specific stretches for that area.

That being said, I also use a lot of therapeutic DVDs. Here are some of my favorites:
*Total Body Solution, Low Back segment
*Rehab Your Body at Home, both Lower Back and Hip & Knee segments
*Yoga for Lower Back Pain
*Save Your Lower Back
*Yoga: Freedom from Low Back Pain
*Yoga Tune-Up Tension Tune Down, both Lower Back and Upper Back & Neck (CDs)
*Viniyoga for Low Back, Hips, & Sacrum (just re-acquired on loan; seems to be helping)
*Classical Stretch Back Pain Prevention (from Season 4)
*Barbara Benagh Yoga for Stress Relief (both Hips/SI Joint and Low Back)

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 10:55 AM  
dela

Timely post, my back is acting up again, seems to be a Thanksgiving thing for me . I strained it lifting too heavy a weight in a class that's a little too hard core (I'm not going back). I guess I will never learn my lesson, as it was getting better, I did another workout that made it worse. Heading out to the chiropractor today, and just bought a used copy of the Lee Holden dvd recommended above.

I also find Classical Stretch very helpful, and focus on back and spine episodes and anything to do with hips.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-12, 11:11 AM  
andtckrtoo

My savior for back pain is Eoin Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness - the Happy Hips segment. For me, my sciatic nerve pain is due to tight hips and hip flexors. If my sciatic nerve pain acts up, I make a date with Eoin and I feel great by the next day.

That being said - I absolutely agree with everyone in seeing a doctor. That should be your first move. Back pain is never something to mess with. Find out what the cause. That belt you are using could be hurting you more than helping, for example.
Old 11-19-12, 11:23 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
That being said - I absolutely agree with everyone in seeing a doctor. That should be your first move. Back pain is never something to mess with. Find out what the cause. That belt you are using could be hurting you more than helping, for example.
Agree with this. My dad had a sudden onset of mid-to-lower back pain and it turned out to be kidney stones.

My back pain (due to a degenerated, almost nonexistent disc in lumbar area) is helped greatly by any slow, gentle stretching of my back, hips, quads, hamstrings and calves. Mimi Solaire's Deep Stretch is a great one for simple stretches held for a long time.
Old 11-19-12, 12:49 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The only thing that worked for me when I had back pain was a visit to my chiro, and rest (lots of it). First I went to my regular doc to make sure I hadn't damaged a disc. He said it was muscular strain. After that I had a chiro adjustment, and I rested. It took a long time to clear up (10 weeks) and I had to suspend most of my exercise plans. I wish I had better news for you, but I wanted to give you a truthful account.

Tags
dr eric goodman, foundation training, low back, low back pain