Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-03, 07:20 PM  
meredith
VF Supporter

Exercise after Lasik

I'm going to have Lasik in a month and they told me I can't exercise for 3 - 5 days afterwards. WHOA, I did not expect that. I thought I had read in previous posts that folks were able to workout right afterwards! (not the day of it, but the day after). I suppose I will ask my Dr. for a full explanation, but I also am curious as to what others did and/or were told. Also there is no swimming for even longer. (I think 2 weeks or months?) Another disappointment as I love to swim. I wonder if I have a particularly cautious Dr. or maybe it's a tactic to avoid any possible liability claim?
By the way, I am a particularly bad script -13.75 (close to the cut-off for this procedure). I can't imagine that would make much difference but wanted to just mention it. (can't be more a mml or so difference, can it?)

Meredith
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 07:32 PM  
krisk

Meredith,

My husband had Lasik about 2 months ago. His Dr. said something like no exercise for a week. He has been swimming for the last 2 weeks though, so it's not that long that you can't swim. He had to spend the first 24 hours wearing 'shields' over his eyes, and then had to sleep with those on for a week. The shields are plastic lenses with holes in them. They were to prevent him from rubbing his eyes. You have to be really careful about getting any irritants in your eyes for a certain period (2 weeks?) afterwards. And no rubbing for at least a week, maybe more. His eyesight was really bad beforehand - almost blind, wore glasses since he was about 7. He's really happy that he did it - totally happy!

Good luck!

Kris
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 07:34 PM  
Starlight
VF Supporter

Hi Meredith,

Congratulations on your decision to have LASIK! I had the same procedure almost 5 years ago, but my prescription was much lower than yours. I am still amazed at the results.

I was able to workout within two days. Most patients are different from each other. Since "flaps" will be created on your corneas, they will be vulnerable to any rubbing. It's natural to want to rub your eyes.

Especially when working out, we sweat. Without knowing, you *might* run the risk of rubbing your eyes w/o realizing it. So, you may want to wear a headband or protective goggles just in case. (This may also help if you're a runner...think of the debris from the wind.)

I'm sure you will use common sense and take each day as it comes. Contact sports (like basketball) should be avoided for a few weeks. Swimming is also to be avoided since your "flaps" are at a vulnerable stage.

You may want to double check with your doctor again about your concerns. Best of luck to you!!

Josephine
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 07:36 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

I got LASIK almost two years ago and was able to work out the next day. I think they might have told me to wear a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes, but otherwise it was fine. I'm sure you could do pilates or yoga if it doesn't make you sweat.

I'm surprised they didn't say you could swim with goggles, but what do I know?

Good luck and enjoy the freedom! I'm so glad I got it done, and that I had an opportunity which allowed me to afford the surgery. My eyes were really dry for several weeks afterwards, but now they're fine and my vision does not seem to have deteriorated.
Old 06-28-03, 08:53 PM  
Caryn C
VF Supporter

I was told that I could swim a week or 2 after the surgery,but only with my eyes closed to avoid getting irritants around the open flaps. Can't comment on the exercise issue because I was such a couch potato back then (going on 3 years), it wasn't an issue. And BTW, congratulations. I consider it one of the best things I've ever done!

Caryn
Caryn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 11:07 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I had Lasik about 3 years ago, but I don't remember what they told me. It was December 22, so I was probably slacking off at that time of year anyway. Lasik is such a wonderful thing that it's worth not exercising for a while - be sure to follow your doctor's orders and don't really worry about it. 5 days off will probably just give you a much needed rest. As I said, it's worth it to experience the wonders of Lasik without any worries! Looking back, I would have taken a month off if they would have told me to!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-03, 11:13 PM  
Seabush

I had Lasik two years ago. It was the best money I ever spent. I have no regrets. The exercise restriction wasn't a problem for me. I wasn't exercising at the time. . Even if I was, what I gained in terms of improved vision without the need for glasses outweighed everything else. Go get that procedure!

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 07:46 PM  
meredith
VF Supporter

Thanks!

Thanks for all the tips! I feel encouraged to ask my Dr. what exactly are the risks and see if we can reach an agreement about what I can and can't do. I can't wait...about 2 1/2 weeks away now!!!
Meredith
meredith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glasses, lasik