Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-11, 03:50 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I want a gliding disc workout by Tracie Long...

I think she would do a good job of providing a gliding workout. I know she uses gliding discs (or a rag as a gliding disc) in her Focus series dvd Lift Higher. There was an article that made the rounds here not too long ago about gliding disc exercises (I remember it was called something like "Model Whisperer" or "Model Trainer" because of the trainer who worked with models and prescribed gliding exercises).

I know Mindy Mylrea Mylrea has a few gliding disc workouts on dvd, but from the clips that I've seen I don't think I click with her. Can anyone else recommend a good (30 minutes or less) gliding workout?
Old 06-06-11, 03:55 PM  
mamaste

Do you have Better Body, Better Buns? It's full of gliding exercises. Endurance for Movement does, too. If you don't have them, Mary has signed copies for sale right now. Plus you get a free t-shirt.
Old 06-06-11, 04:03 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Thanks for pointing that out! I had no idea. I hadn't seen those because I don't ever look at her workouts that require more than hand weights (i.e. I've skipped her recent Focus and Longevity workouts that required a step or medicine ball). I will take a look at clips for these.
Old 06-06-11, 04:33 PM  
Castella

I like the gliding work she does in Better Buns. She has really good form tips for the moves, too.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 04:51 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

It's actually "Better Burn, Better Buns." And yes, there are gliding segments, although they alternate with cardio, so if you are looking only for a gliding workout, this might not work for you.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 05:23 PM  
KathAL79

Tracie also has a gliding segment in Lift Higher, the Focus workout that's really all about the lower body. It's not all gliding all the time, but a good portion of that ~10 min. segment uses the discs. Other than discs all you need for this one are dumbbells and maybe a mat; no step is required.

And for her ones with a med ball you can, for the most part, pretty easily just sub in a dumbbell. The only move I can think off of the top of my head that would not work well with a dumbbell are the few times when she tosses the ball up in the air, but you could just lift and lower the db instead.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 05:55 PM  
cardiomama

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Can anyone else recommend a good (30 minutes or less) gliding workout?
Valerie Waters' Valslide Essentials has 2 total body workouts, one 23 min, the other 27 min. I think it's about $20 for the DVD, I really like the workouts (just use gliding/sliding discs, short workouts, good for travel). I wrote a review on it, you can see if it would interest you: http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3720

Another thought, if you don't like Mindy M. as a lead, her company has produced gliding DVDs by other instructors (Kelli Roberts, Shannon Fable, Rob Glick) that you may click with. The gliding workouts don't tend to be 30 min or less, but most are chaptered by segments, and you could easily create a shorter workout from them (or just do quarter or half of the workout or just the exercises that you like to do). There's quite a few reviews of the Gliding brand and other gliding/sliding disc workouts on VF: http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd..._cat.php?id=14
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 07:08 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiomama View Post
Valerie Waters' Valslide Essentials has 2 total body workouts, one 23 min, the other 27 min. I think it's about $20 for the DVD, I really like the workouts (just use gliding/sliding discs, short workouts, good for travel). I wrote a review on it, you can see if it would interest you: http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3720
Thank you cardiomama! I've debated delving into Valerie Waters workouts for a while. I will check out your review. It sounds like it might be what I am looking for.

Tags
gliding, tracie long