Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-07-10, 06:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Tips on doubling your calorie burn

Nothing earth-shattering here - we probably all know these already - but it's a video with Jeanette Jenkins looking mighty cute!: http://shine.yahoo.com/event/bikini/...-burn-1309495/
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 01:55 PM  
videofit

I didn't know about the drop sets. I always wondered why Margaret said to start heavy and if the form started to suffer, to lower the poundage. I had always thought you were supposed to pyramid up in poundage. What is the difference between the two?
Old 05-08-10, 02:11 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Not sure, but I'd imagine that by lowering your weights and continuing when you're pre-fatigued from heavier weights, you're closer to exhausting the muscles..?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 02:59 PM  
msladybug

Maybe starting at the low end first is suppose to be a warmup of the muscles used in that exercise. Then go heavy, then drop back again due to fatigue.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 04:03 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Well, one thing: dropping your poundage can enable you to complete the reps with the still correct form...remember Margaret is a stickler for form.
Old 05-09-10, 04:09 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
I had always thought you were supposed to pyramid up in poundage.
i always thought the term "pyramid up" meant to go "Lighter" as you progress from the beginning of the set(s) to the end. "pyramid" referring to the arrangement of the weights on a weight stand, where the heaviest weights are on the bottom, and the lighter weights were on the top, shaped like a pyramid.*

i also took a weight training class in college, and although the instructor never used the term "pyramid up", he'd usually have us lift the heaviest weight we could with good form, then switch to lighter weights during the set if we started to struggle.

in the workouts that i have, the instructors have said to lower the poundage, even if you're doing a "high rep, low weight" style, you'd either lower the poundage or just complete the set w/out weights.

*i could be totally off base on this one...

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 02:43 PM  
videofit

That makes sense. I may just try starting heavier and then going lighter to mix things up a bit and see what happens. I started weight training many years ago with Joyce Vedral and she always went from light weights to heavy weights, so that sticks in my mind.

Tags
calorie burn, drop sets, pyramid, weight training, weights