Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-16, 12:02 PM  
donnamp

Sherry and Cathy - yes, I remember reading Paula's books!!!

I wish I could get my DD to love reading. She is a very good reader - always above grade level - but she doesn't seem to enjoy doing it as a hobby. She tends to write her own stories and has for some time.

There have been a few books she has enjoyed,but in general, she is such a picky reader! I'm pretty much the opposite, unless it is absolutely terrible or doesn't hold my interest AT ALL, I will read it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 12:57 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
She tends to write her own stories and has for some time.
that is very very awesome! which reminds me....

if you get a chance, read Stephen King's non-fiction book titled "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft." he said he started writing in elementary school and got in trouble for selling one of his stories! in school, they weren't allowed to sell things, and his friends loved his writing so much that they were willing to pay for it. amazing and inspiring.

in the book, he writes about his friendships with other writers, including Amy Tan.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 01:13 PM  
cpcathy

I started writing at around eight, I practically learned how to write from Judy Blume's books.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 01:34 PM  
donnamp

Oh, that is interesting Jeannine!

Cathy - I think that is around when my DD started. She is going to be 13 next week. I do remember her "dictating" a book to me before she was able to write, I had to write it for her!

At her school for the 8th grade, they have to do a 'capstone' project and she wants to take one of the stories she is written and have it self-published and copyrighted. She does have good ideas!
Donna
Old 07-26-16, 02:09 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Oh, that is interesting Jeannine!

Cathy - I think that is around when my DD started. She is going to be 13 next week. I do remember her "dictating" a book to me before she was able to write, I had to write it for her!

At her school for the 8th grade, they have to do a 'capstone' project and she wants to take one of the stories she is written and have it self-published and copyrighted. She does have good ideas!
Donna
when your DD was 8YO, what was the impetus that led to her writing?

our DS13 talks a lot about wanting to into the film industry. I told him he should start doing his own films, like start writing his ideas down. the only film project he has begun expressing an interest in is doing DS17's video for his grad party, which is great. DS13 has done a few video projects for school, which were pretty good. but he hasn't branched out on his own yet.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 02:16 PM  
Eibhinn

Young Adult fiction - or YA fiction - is generally considered to be for 12 to 18 year olds, but some skews a little younger and some a little older. It might be worth seeing if the publisher recommends an age range for it. For reference, I'd say the first couple of Harry Potter books are probably children's books, but once you get to the third or fourth, they'd probably be considered YA fiction.

By the time I got to be around 9 or 10 I'd definitely outgrown children's novels and was ready for more advanced books. My parents let me read pretty much anything I wanted, but I also didn't want to read anything that had sexual content or was too violent or scary.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 04:17 PM  
donnamp

Jeannine - I'm not really sure what got my DD into writing, I think she and her friends always liked to play "imagination games" (stories, role playing, etc.) and then just started writing down her "stories"

Donna