Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-16, 08:49 PM  
shoegoddess

Is this book appropriate for 8 year old?

My 8 year old granddaughter is a very good reader. She asked me to buy her the book Children of Eden from Amazon. I looked on the website but it won't be released until October. I have no idea what this book is about. Apparently it's also a play. Would it be appropriate for her?

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 09:17 PM  
alisoncooks

I don't think the novel is related to the play. I found this:

http://www.tubefilter.com/2016/07/21...ldren-of-eden/

And this:

http://joeygraceffa.com/children-of-eden-book

Sounds like your typical dystopian book, which I consider a tween/teen/adult genre. I can't imagine my 8 year old reading it, but ymmv.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-16, 11:13 PM  
shoegoddess

Thanks so much Alison. It won't be released until October so hopefully she'll forget about it

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 04:31 AM  
mlroman

The author's certainly handsome!

Ummmm, not that it's relevant to this conversation...

Still just bein' a mel...
mlroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 07:58 AM  
upperwside

My daughter is 8.. it's a novel for young adults (18 to 20 year old range??). So.. I would wait till it's released if my daughter wanted it... just to make sure there is nothing sexual or overly violent/inappropriate. But I would most likely, myself say no. My daughter is still very innocent reading Heidi and the Secret Garden. We were reading The Sister's Grimm series.. and she was quite scared and had nightmares. Read the reviews when it's released.. and see how and the child's parents feel about the content.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 01:21 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
(18 to 20 year old range??). ...
I think Young Adult is actually a much younger range than you've indicated.

Yes, 18-20 year olds are 'young adults' but I think YA in library/book terms tends to indicate an elementary school age range. Some call it 'teen', but I think the range is actually much larger than that.

Not sure it's right for an eight year old, but then again, I read all sorts of actually adult stuff when I was in the 8-10 range. IIRC, the stuff I was too young to understand went right over my head.
Old 07-25-16, 01:36 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I think Young Adult is actually a much younger range than you've indicated.

Yes, 18-20 year olds are 'young adults' but I think YA in library/book terms tends to indicate an elementary school age range. Some call it 'teen', but I think the range is actually much larger than that.

Not sure it's right for an eight year old, but then again, I read all sorts of actually adult stuff when I was in the 8-10 range. IIRC, the stuff I was too young to understand went right over my head.
Yea, I was going to say this. I was reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz at 10.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 01:40 PM  
cpcathy

I read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi at ten, so, there's that. I think kids who read voraciously can handle a lot, I figure, as long as they're reading! You'd be surprised.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 02:44 PM  
donnamp

Good Lord, I read the V C Andrews books when I was in the 5th-7th grade range and, fortunately, I think a lot went over my head as well. I think I also probably read some Stephen Kings books at least in Jr. High if not before.

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 06:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi at ten, so, there's that. I think kids who read voraciously can handle a lot, I figure, as long as they're reading! You'd be surprised.
Me too!

Also read Papillon and the early Stephen King when quite young.

FWIW, I wasn't prone to nightmares, except from occasional stuff like supposedly child appropriate things like Tom Sawyer ( in the caves, scary!) and Snow White and Bambi.

I remember reading much sexier stuff (like Forever Amber) and having much of it simply sail right over my head. If I'd had a bad-influence best friend to explain it all to me, my teen years might have been much more chaotic, LOL!

Oh, and I remember reading some of the 'teen' books of the day and thinking how silly it was for one kid to call another 'darling'. Icky. Guess I was too young for romance.