Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-16, 09:07 AM  
BunnyHop

Thanks for the Headmasters' Wife rec, just put it on hold at the library.

Haven't been reading many novels lately (I must be sick!) but just yesterday picked up Dracula. Like the way it's so atmospheric, but I keep dozing off fairly quickly. (Given my insomnia issues, I'm not complaining too loudly, but still. Guess I ought to do a bit of reading in the daytime.)

I'm still working on my meditation/contemplative/writing practices. I've been selecting a few tarot cards every day and looking them up in some of the books I have just to think about the ideas behind them. (gives my busy brain something specific to think about.) So far The Wild Unknown Tarot deck and book are my favorites. The language of the book is gentle and supportive, so it's worked well as an adjunct to my meditation practice. The Enchanted Tarot deck and book is nice too. So far A Magical Course in Tarot is my favorite book that doesn't come with a deck. The card descriptions are really interesting. Tarot for Writers has become my journal, I've been scribbling notes about the stuff from the other books into it, so over time it's become easier to remember. Maybe one of these days the story fragments in my head will coalesce into something more substantial, LOL! This has been an entertaining process, regardless. I do think it's good for my imagination, giving my subconscious something less nightmarish to think about besides whatever it wants to dream up by itself.
Old 06-03-16, 09:55 AM  
sherry7899

I just took these out from the library:

Thank you, goodnight : Abramowitz, Andy

The charm bracelet / Shipman,

The other widow / Crawford, Susan

I think I read another book by Susan Crawford. It might have been "The Pocket Wife?"

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 10:11 AM  
isebelleg44

Anyone read any of Kristin Hannah's books? I have only read the Nightingale, which I liked. It looks like her other books are different. I picked up Home Front & also Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller. I haven't read a Jodi Picoult book in a long time.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 10:16 AM  
sherry7899

Some of Kristin's books fall into "chick lit" and some are more "women's fiction." I liked some more than others. I would honestly need to go back and look up the titles/descriptions for ones I have read. One was totally depressing and I gave up on it...I think Laura S. did also. I forget the name of it-it had characters from Russia (?) if I am remembering correctly.

Jodi Picoult has a new book coming out in October. I have to look up the title.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 10:26 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Yes! The Winter Garden (I think). HATED that book. I loved, loved, loved her earlier books. Her more recent ones have been more hit or miss. The Nightingale was okay for me, but not my favorite of hers.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 10:38 AM  
muggle

"The Storyteller", I listened to that on book on CD. I thought it was excellent. I felt that it was thoughtfully written w/ some humor here and there considering the darkness of the 2 plots taking place. I became totally engrossed in the characters. It was the kind of book where once I stopped...I wanted to get back to it to find out what happened next.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 06:35 PM  
isebelleg44

I wanted to get Firefly Lane, but my library didn't have it so Night Road looked the most the appealing of the ones they had on hand. I will hopefully read The Storyteller after that one. Guess I am staying away from Winter Garden.

Sherry I'm going to wait for the Me Before You to come out on DVD. It doesn't seem like a must see for me.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 07:41 PM  
donnamp

Oh gosh, Winter Garden was my first (I think) Kristin Hannah book and I liked it! I have read and like others from her including Night Road. I think I'm going to start her more recent Pretending To Dance tonight. I finished The Headmaster's Wife, it was a good book - a bit sad though.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 08:24 PM  
sugar rose

Donna, I read The Heart Goes Last and I honestly don't know whether you'd like it or not, based on the handmaids tale which I read so long ago - THGL certainly held my interest and I wanted to keep the pages turning, but it got pretty wacky toward the end; (did I just eat a whole bag of Doritos that tasted great while I was eating them...)

Glow Girl, please explain the last line of the heart goes last to me. What the heck was that? Or did it not mean anything and she's just trying to drive me crazy? Feel free to pm me if you are so inclined! Thanks!

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 08:38 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I loved The Nightingale and haven't read any of Kristin Hannah's other books as I also thought they were fluffy chic lit. I will be looking to read more of hers now. I have requested On Mystic Lake from the library. Has anyone read it?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, overdrive, reading, summer reading