Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-16, 09:09 AM  
sherry7899

I really want to see Scott and Bailey...I was a huge fan of Cagney and Lacey, so I think I'd really like it. I pretty much only like crime shows where you get into the characters lives as well as the crimes. I may sign up for Acorn tv in the winter through Amazon streaming. I think it's on there.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 09:34 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I really want to see Scott and Bailey...I was a huge fan of Cagney and Lacey, so I think I'd really like it. I pretty much only like crime shows where you get into the characters lives as well as the crimes. I may sign up for Acorn tv in the winter through Amazon streaming. I think it's on there.

Sherry
I only saw a few episodes of Cagney and Lacey, and have long wished it would be rerun on TV. I think Cagney and Lacey and also Laverne and Shirley, were unusual for American TV and the possibilities for female leads. Oh and also That Girl and Mary Tyler Moore broke new ground. We haven't come very far since then. If anything, we seem to have regressed with all the blatant misogyny on TV and in movies. (I'd rather give up my TV for good (again) than watch popular shows like Game of Thrones for instance).
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 10:52 AM  
sherry7899

They show Cagney and Lacey is on some odd cheap cable channel on our system only on Monday nights. I don't know if they still do.I think it's on at 1am, though! I'll have to check. It did get released on dvd, but the reviews of the release are mixed. It is on Amazon USA. I haven't bought it because I have too many other dvds I haven't watched yet.

I have the whole Mary Tyler Moore series on dvd-love that show! I liked That Girl as well.

Sherry

Old 07-26-16, 02:19 PM  
spotted zebra

I used to watch the Mary Tyler Moore show. I didn't know you get could it on dvd! I'll have to put that on my wish list. I didn't watch a lot of TV growing up, for instance didn't see more than a couple of episodes of the other shows I mentioned (I couldn't handle Lenny and Squiggy). But I was struck by something a younger co-worker said, who is too young to have seen these shows when they first aired. She wondered why there's no equivalent of them nowadays. I guess she has Netflix or something, or just more channels than I get. I think from an actress's point of view in the US or Canada, the differences in the types of roles being offered nowadays is especially stark in comparison, and if you're over 30 you might as well not bother to show up for casting calls since the 40 and 50-something year old male characters only marry 20-something years old on screen. Which makes me laugh, because it is pretty funny and hard to take seriously.
Old 07-26-16, 02:25 PM  
sherry7899

American tv is sadly lacking in strong female lead characters over the age of thirty...

Amazon has the Mary Tyler Moore show. I bought each season as it was released, then of course they released a box set of the whole thing. Oh, well......

Sherry

Old 07-26-16, 02:28 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
American tv is sadly lacking in strong female lead characters over the age of thirty...

Amazon has the Mary Tyler Moore show. I bought each season as it was released, then of course they released a box set of the whole thing. Oh, well......

Sherry
Thanks Sherry! I'm off to take a look now!
Old 07-27-16, 08:26 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:

Sherry
I'm off to check out the box set too!! That was my favorite show for years and years and it's rarely on regular tv anymore.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 11:19 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I just started watching a program from the early 90's called House of Eliott, which I am really enjoying. It is set just after WWI and is about a pair of sisters left penniless after their father dies and how they deal with the world after. It's friendly and comforting the way As Time Goes By is I guess, but a little more compelling given the premise.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-16, 01:52 PM  
videofit

You Anglophiles will like BBC iPlayer where you can listen to hundreds of all categories of radio shows - news, comedy, documentaries, interviews, music, game shows, etc. Some are decades old so a slice of history. I like radio because I can do other things while I'm listening.
Old 07-29-16, 02:24 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I loved River.

Vicious is also funny, but not a binge show since the jokes are similar from episode to episode.

Anything like River? Or recommendations based on River? I don't love story arcs that take 20 episodes, but really liked the nuances of that show.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binge watch, binge-watching, british tv shows, favorite british tv shows, favorite tv shows