Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-16, 09:31 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I think I have read all of Lianne's books - she tackles serious issues sometimes, but with humor. I have enjoyed all of them.

Ok, I'm reading Divergent now - and I just want to say - does it get better? I'm pretty bored w/ the story (I'm a little shy of the half way point) and so far I feel it is just adolescent/H.S. drama but in a different setting. I picked it up b/c my DD was going to read it as part of her summer reading of dystopian novels. It gets great ratings, so what am I missing or does it get better?

Donna
One of the better dystopian trilogies I've read is Margaret Atwood's Madaddam trilogy. I believe it is being made into a movie for HBO with Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan) producing.
Old 07-26-16, 10:02 AM  
donnamp

Wendy, thanks for that recommendation for Margaret Atwood's book. I will check it out - have enjoyed her dystopian fiction - Handmaids Tale and The Heart Goes Last.

I ended up getting Insurgent and am reading that right now. I don't really like her writing style and the books have a juvenile feel (I suppose b/c they are for younger people!) but I'm interested to see where the story goes.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-16, 11:49 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Funny, I'm reading Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed which is part of a series of retelling of Shakespeare plays (Hogarth). This revolves around the Tempest. I'm not far enough in to have too many thoughts. Preview copy, comes out in Oct.

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler is part of this series. The reviews aren't very good though.

Finished Crosstalk by Connie Willis- this reminded me so much of a Sophie Kinsella novel. It is really good, but Willis doesn't generally do romcom. I have to say that the telepathic element was extremely well thought out, so that part was different than chick lit. A little too long, which is common for Willis. She has famous author - not enough editing- syndrome. And she has been quite famous in scifi for many years.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 12:12 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I am fulfilling a major item on my bucket list--I'm reading Marcel Proust's In search of lost time. I'm taking a self-paced online course and the lectures and supplementary materials are extremely helpful. So far, Proust's opus is one of the very best books I have ever read. It will probably end up being the best book I have ever read once I finish it.

I'm also reading a biography of Proust by William Carter, the professor who created the online course I just mentioned. It's extremely well-written and certainly adds a lot to my reading of the novel.
Good for you Betsy! I have never read Proust but funnily enough I was pondering doing so the other day because I was thinking of the movie Little Miss Sunshine. The girl's uncle was a Proust scholar! Great movie if you have never seen it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 08:56 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler is part of this series. The reviews aren't very good though.
I read Vinegar Girl. It was similar to most Anne Tyler novels, very quirky, with not a lot of resolution in the end. As a Tyler novel, I liked it well enough; I didn't think it was much like Shakespeare (The Taming of the Shrew).

I just got the latest Joanne Fluke to review--it's a Christmas book, The Christmas Caramel Murder, and it's quite short! The next regular installment in the series apparently does not come out until early 2017, Banana Cream Pie Murder. I will probably read it, but I have not been at all happy with the last few.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 09:28 AM  
donnamp

Hi,

Beth - I petered out on Hannah/Joanna Fluke - did she ever make a choice - btw her two boyfriends? That story line got old fast for me!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 09:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Hi,

Beth - I petered out on Hannah/Joanna Fluke - did she ever make a choice - btw her two boyfriends? That story line got old fast for me!

Donna
Donna, not exactly, but things did change! I don't want to post any spoilers here--you can read my review of The Wedding Cake Murder on Amazon if you want more details.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 09:57 AM  
sherry7899

Beth-I had to give up on that series. I was sorry to do it after reading SO many of them, but I just think the quality of the books went downhill.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 10:16 AM  
PhyllisG

I am reading Maggie O'Farrell's new book This Must Be the Place. I am a big fan of hers but not enjoying this one as much as I expected. Anyone else read it? Curious as to others opinions.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-16, 02:36 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
I also just downloaded (from Overdrive) Insurgent, in spite of what I said up thread about Divergent, I feel I need to know what happens next and these are fast/easy reads for me.

Donna
LOL Donna, I felt the same way. Didn't care for the marginal writing style, but the premise of the story is pretty original. I thought the movies have been pretty good too. At least they are fast and easy reads, like you said.

I have been reading Finding Jake which is about a school shooting in the point of view of the boy's father. I'm not done yet but it's a big page turner!

Add me to the list of fans of Liane Moriarty. I just got her new book and plan to read it soon. I have read all of her books, and liked What Alice Forgot the most of all. That one just really stuck with me for some reason. I also really liked Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies. Her earlier ones were good too.

I am also anticipating the new Harry Potter book/play and hope it is even a fraction as good as the original books.

I recently read The Good Girl and The Daughter and thought they were good but not great. They are both about missing daughters and had interesting endings. I also recently read Girl on a Train as the movie is coming out soon, now THAT was a great book.

I also recently read After You which was a good (not great) follow up to Me Before You. I want to watch the movie too but like others said, will wait for the DVD.

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, overdrive, reading, summer reading