Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-29-20, 08:04 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Crone Cronies - 2020 Be Like: January, February, Quarantine, December. November 29

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 08:25 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

If found this theme and then realized I had used it back in July. At that point, I had no idea it would ring so true at the end of the year. For the near future, I also found:

Crone Cronies - Hello December. You're the Last One, So Be the Best One. 12/x
Crone Cronies - Hello December. Make My Wishes Come True. 12/x
Crone Cronies - Remember This December That Love Weighs More than Gold. 12/x

We have more Christmas decorating today and I need to cook some and do some laundry. It looks like another nice day so I may try to get out for a walk.

Paula - We used to bake cookies. We's start on a Friday and finish up on Sunday. Then DH was diagnosed as gluten sensitive, and that stopped. We have joked that he would now go into some sort of shock from just the flour in the air during those past weekends.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 11-29-20, 10:52 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Good choice for a title, Laura! Yeah, this year has just sort of gone.... I'm hoping 2021 will go back to normalcy, although I think some things will change forever. I think some stores won't make it and I don't know what will move back into that space or just empty . Also some new habits like online ordering and pickup at stores will continue. Hoping the masks will go away eventually and immunization becomes available - I'd probably qualify sometime mid to late spring for that.

I'm planning on walking Gus this morning - temps are falling and winds are picking up. I'm sure Gus will still enjoy his walk! Otherwise putzing around - I've got the house and yard decorated (pretty low scale nowadays) and I'm not planning on baking anything - I will pick up some favorite fruit cake from a good store. I should clean the house - lots of dog hair to sweep up! I should also start composing some Christmas cards and I need to stop by the Post Office to pick up more stamps. I'm a bit sad that I've lost parents and aunts this Christmas time... They loved the cards.

Laura, thanks for future titles - my mind in the morning isn't the best some days... Sounds like you have a full sized Christmas tree! Mine's only about two to three feet tall.

Paula, so you can come visit snow for ten days? That's about what I could handle going down to sandy tropical places for a vacation - couldn't live there permanently! I think there are several breaks for retired 65+ people here - I don't think their property taxes increase after the age - probably catches up as they move to another living situation after that age. Ooooh, fudge sounds wonderful! I don't make any at home as you end up with a ton of it, but sometimes I'll pick up a little box at a store with about four pieces in it - yum! As this is what I now go and pick up, I wonder if I should get rid of some of my food processing equipment as it's not been used in about a decade.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-20, 09:59 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a Yin Yoga with Travis Eliot. Otherwise it was grocery day and I made a big batch of marinara sauce this afternoon.

Laura, thanks for getting us started. Yes the theme does ring true. 2020 has seemd like a revolving door of quarentine and restrictions. I meant to start decorating today, but didn't actually get to it today. I mentioned to DH what your neighbors said about retiring in California, which brought on an interesting conversation. DH felt California was a good place to retire and not more expensive than many other states. I did some checking and actually he's right. California was #13 for taxes. Housing is expensive in many areas of California but not in all - same in all states - some areas are more expensive than others. California is one state where your property tax is forever tied to what you paid for the home, unless you add square footage, the state never reassesses your property value and raises your property tax. Of course it goes up a little over time due to bond issues etc. but it doesn't rise much or rapidly.

Anita, I hope 2021 goes back to normalacy too. I expect the mask and social distancing thing to last a long time, but I can live with that. I am concerned that many stores and restaurants will close forever. Gyms too, I don't see how they can survive being closed for so long. Yes, I visited New Hampshire for 10 days in January a couple years ago when my niece had a baby and needed help. I loved the beauty of the snow, hated the inconvenience. It sounds petty but getting all the snow clothes on took ten minutes, then walk the dogs, come back and take it all off again and do that at least twice a day. They lived in a condo and one great thing was the condo had a service that plowed the roads and shoveled the front stoops. Age has nothing to do with property tax here, the tax is always tied to the purchase price, so unless you remodel and increase square footage, the state will not reassess your property. Also, one time only, you can sell your home and take your tax with you if you don't pay more for the new house. So we could sell our home and buy in another area, as long as we didn't pay more for the new home than we sold our home for we could keep our 1994 tax rate. I think California gets a bad rap for taxes when we aren't as bad as many other places.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-20, 10:58 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus in the cold! Brrrr! We're in the teens this morning. Otherwise putzing around. I'll probably make a grocery run also. I had no luck with the stamp machine at the post office yesterday, so will try them at the counter today.

Paula, at your view of winter clothing - it's pretty normal for me here. One thing I'm looking at at the senior living centers is the amount of indoor walking they have and their fitness center - at least there I could probably get some walking in indoors. My property taxes vary a little bit each year - it actually went down for 2021! I did have quite the increase the year I remodeled the interior - didn't add any extra footage to the place. I think overall everyone got some increase that time. I think MN has pretty high taxes when you look at state, sales, and property taxes together plus federal taxes. I'm OK with it though as the state does a pretty good job taking care of us - this coming year will be a weird one in that first time a deficit exists because of loss of income from Covid-19.

Anita
Old 11-30-20, 06:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a pleasant day. I had a tutoring session this morning. I also cooked the last of the turkey in a casserole and gave 1/2 to Mom and Dad. DH got the Christmas tree up and working yesterday and we started putting on ornaments today. It's a really pretty full size tree with colored lights, white lights and it twirls. It's pretty before you put any ornaments on. Anyway, we're making progress! This evening, I have another tutoring session.

I don't have any tutoring sessions tomorrow. I'm enjoying the slower pace.

Anita - We have a cold snap here. The nice thing for those who don't like a lot of cold is that these cold snaps usually last about two days and then the temps go up again to cool rather than cold. Our tree is probably 6 feet tall, so it is definitely full size.

Paula - That's interesting about your property taxes. In Maryland, taxes just went up and up and up and that included property taxes. Like you said the other day, a lot of what is possible in retirement is often due to planning and adjusting your lifestyle to what is possible.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 11-30-20, 09:15 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga with Kassandra Morning Yoga Day 30 followed by Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 22.

It was a sunny day here and we decided to take the boat out. Nice day on the water.

Anita, yeah, when I lived in NY I was used to the four season wardrobe and the on off on off of winter dressing. If you google 2020's Tax Burden by State, you'll see MN is #5 and CA is #13. Let's all be glad we don't live in NY (my orginial state) which is #1.

Laura, you're way ahead of me on the decorating. Maybe tomorrow I'll get cracking on it. My first priority for tomorrow is to get a haircut scheduled. The way things keep opening and closing around here I'm not sure whether hair salons are open - I think they are. I hope I can get an appointment - I need a cut.
Old 12-01-20, 08:54 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus today - should be a nice cold sunny day. I'm still using my spring/fall jacket, not a winter coat tough! Otherwise planning on putzing around - filling out some Christmas cards. I did stop by the post office and got some Bugs Bunny stamps .

Laura, congrats on getting your tree up and decorated! Enjoy your day off from tutoring!

Paula, your avatar under your name has disappeared! I put up a new one with Gus Guess we're paying more than you as far as taxes. I usually set up my cut when I get the last one done - not a last minute walk in appointment. Do you use the same stylist every other month or so?

Anita
Old 12-01-20, 01:37 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I had a lazy morning and then it occurred to me that I had things I intended to accomplish today - changing the sheets and towels, laundry, cooking, etc. - and I got moving. I also want to hit at least one, if not two, grocery stores. I fell back to fixing DH a pizza because that's quick and easy.

Anita - I love your avatar picture. Gus looks like such an agreeable dog. Our Christmas tree isn't done yet. We both keep doing a few ornaments at a time. There's quite a few on the tree, but there's more to go. Plus, we haven't found the White House ornaments yet. We do an ornament tree with those.

Paula - I hope you get into the salon for a haircut. That is a top priority when it's needed. It's good you had a nice day to go out on the boat.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 12-01-20, 09:36 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. First, happy December - I can't be the only on looking forward to the end of 2020 Workout this morning was Yoga With Kassandra Morning Yoga Day 1 then Pahla B fitness Body Shaping Day 23 and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Anita, guess I forgot to renew my subscription to VF, once I did that my avatar showed up again. Gus looks like a happy guy, is this a recent picture - no snow. You must be more organized than I, setting up your next salon appointment when you get your haircut. I never do that, I never know what we'll be doing on have planned in eight weeks. I just wait until I realize it's been 8, 10, or in this case 12 weeks and suddenly I'm desperate for a haircut. At that point I call and try to get in an appointment. I go to the same place every time and to the same person every time. Things have been up and down with salons opening and closing with quarentine restrictions. I called today and my stylist is only working part time now, she wasn't in today but will be back on Friday so I'll call then and see if I can set up a same day appointment.

Laura, lazy days are good. No didn't manage to get a haircut today. You and Anita are bot ahead of me on decorating. I haven't even gotten the decorations out of storage - everything is in there together, even the cards. I guess I need to give myself a kick in the rear and get going. But not tomorrow, DH wants to fly tomorrow - maybe Thursday, or Friday, or...