Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-20, 08:37 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Ditto what summer breeze said.

Plus they mentioned the concerned of there being a mask shortage for health workers if everyone is running out to buy one which is probably less of a concern now seeing how just about everyone is making and selling them. Also, I noticed more than once in the interview Fauci said “right now” he didn’t think everyone needed to be wearing a mask. As summer breeze pointed out, new information will come out with time when you are dealing with a new virus.
I think it may have had more to do with the fact that there was a shortage of masks and maybe Dr. Fauci didn’t want to cause a panic. But my point is the message was inconsistent and that is possibly a reason why people are skeptical.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 07-15-20, 08:40 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I agree that new information is constantly coming out but at the time of the March Dr. Fauci interview we already knew it was highly contagious. That fact has not changed.
Very true.

I also saw recently where they are now not sure that if you get the virus you are immune. They said some people who had the antibodies at first didn't have them after a few months. So this may be one of those situations where you need a vaccine yearly maybe?
Old 07-15-20, 09:09 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I was furloughed for three weeks after my state shut down in the second week of March. I was so grateful to get the green light to go back to work. I tried working from home for a week but I don't have the ergonomics at home for the type of job I have. We have a small staff and we all have separate offices, and masks are mandatory here, so I feel safe.

I have a new attitude, that's for sure. Things that used to bother me seem so trivial. I'm so grateful my husband was able to continue working, too. We're of the mindset that we want to just take the precautions and continue working our jobs and we give thanks every day we leave the door to drive there and earn a paycheck.

I won't eat in a restaurant, but we will bring takeout home. I walk outdoors but we don't live in an urban, crowded area so we have that luxury. After getting my COVID hair cut and realizing what a pain it is to blow dry every morning, I think I'll probably just let it grow a little longer and more natural. I spend more money to shop at safe stores. For some reason the clientele at Big Y is courteous while shoppers at Stop & Shop continue to crowd you. I wouldn't even go near a Walmart.

I'm absolutely frightened of what the future has in store. I heard yesterday that immunity is not something we can rely on. If you recover from COVID you can turn right around and come down with it again in a few weeks.

What is REALLY getting me down is how people who were innate jerks to begin with now feel justified to be downright assholes and abusive toward other people. It's not just racial. Were I live a farm ice cream stand had to shut down because of guys creating a scene about being asked to stand on a yellow dot between customers in line. Verbally abusing the teenagers scooping ice cream and threatening to beat people up in line, coughing on people and stuff like that. The owner shut the place down for the summer out of fear for the safety of the kids working there.

I was yelled at in the supermarket parking lot this weekend after a guy almost ran me over. I jumped back and said "hey!" and he called me a stupid F'n bitch and told me to choke on my liberal rag. Mask, I guess that means. I can't even count all the local mom and pops where these clowns are congregating and creating disturbances because they feel violated over spacing and liberal rag requirements. A friend who owns an ice cream and candy store (what is it with ice cream) has had people verbally abuse her because there is tape on the floor where they need to stand while she prepares the order. Every day - calling her filthy names, etc, one guy threw his ice cream back at her. On and on and on.

My state took very strict precautions and we were able to flatten and reverse the curve. The Anti Masker types are all nuts about their liberties and my theory is that's why they feel the need to be so belligerent and hoping to harm people.

It's so disheartening.
Old 07-15-20, 09:40 AM  
bubbles76

I bet if there was a chance of winning $50M for wearing a mask, people would wear the mask. No red or blue then lol! Of course, the anti-maskers would have to see an actual random masked person on tv that won the $50M.

Outside of people who have actual medical issues with wearing a mask, I don't see what the big deal is. Wearing a mask is such a small thing to do to possibly protect yourself and others. There are bigger fish to fry.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 07-15-20, 10:05 AM  
Gams

Bill Nye made a short humorous video asking people to wear masks. The comments about the video were outrageously hostile including one from some guy who said he hopes all the maskers choke on their masks and also, people calling Bill Nye vile names. I don’t get it. If you don’t agree, why not just say that instead of all the name calling, etc.
Old 07-15-20, 10:09 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I was furloughed for three weeks after my state shut down in the second week of March. I was so grateful to get the green light to go back to work. I tried working from home for a week but I don't have the ergonomics at home for the type of job I have. We have a small staff and we all have separate offices, and masks are mandatory here, so I feel safe.

I have a new attitude, that's for sure. Things that used to bother me seem so trivial. I'm so grateful my husband was able to continue working, too. We're of the mindset that we want to just take the precautions and continue working our jobs and we give thanks every day we leave the door to drive there and earn a paycheck.

I won't eat in a restaurant, but we will bring takeout home. I walk outdoors but we don't live in an urban, crowded area so we have that luxury. After getting my COVID hair cut and realizing what a pain it is to blow dry every morning, I think I'll probably just let it grow a little longer and more natural. I spend more money to shop at safe stores. For some reason the clientele at Big Y is courteous while shoppers at Stop & Shop continue to crowd you. I wouldn't even go near a Walmart.

I'm absolutely frightened of what the future has in store. I heard yesterday that immunity is not something we can rely on. If you recover from COVID you can turn right around and come down with it again in a few weeks.

What is REALLY getting me down is how people who were innate jerks to begin with now feel justified to be downright assholes and abusive toward other people. It's not just racial. Were I live a farm ice cream stand had to shut down because of guys creating a scene about being asked to stand on a yellow dot between customers in line. Verbally abusing the teenagers scooping ice cream and threatening to beat people up in line, coughing on people and stuff like that. The owner shut the place down for the summer out of fear for the safety of the kids working there.

I was yelled at in the supermarket parking lot this weekend after a guy almost ran me over. I jumped back and said "hey!" and he called me a stupid F'n bitch and told me to choke on my liberal rag. Mask, I guess that means. I can't even count all the local mom and pops where these clowns are congregating and creating disturbances because they feel violated over spacing and liberal rag requirements. A friend who owns an ice cream and candy store (what is it with ice cream) has had people verbally abuse her because there is tape on the floor where they need to stand while she prepares the order. Every day - calling her filthy names, etc, one guy threw his ice cream back at her. On and on and on.

My state took very strict precautions and we were able to flatten and reverse the curve. The Anti Masker types are all nuts about their liberties and my theory is that's why they feel the need to be so belligerent and hoping to harm people.

It's so disheartening.
Pat, that is horrible ! I am so sorry that guy was such a...well, fill in the blank with an expletive! Those poor teenagers just trying do their job do not deserve abuse. I feel sorry for the owner losing out on a whole summer of income because of those people.

In NJ masks are required in stores, so we haven't had issues with anyone in stores. However, my husband goes out walking every night and he said people give him weird looks for wearing a mask.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 07-15-20, 11:00 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Bill Nye made a short humorous video asking people to wear masks. The comments about the video were outrageously hostile including one from some guy who said he hopes all the maskers choke on their masks and also, people calling Bill Nye vile names. I don’t get it. If you don’t agree, why not just say that instead of all the name calling, etc.
Exactly this. The country is so polarized these days that there is no allowance for disagreement. And it's not just one political side or the other. There are people on both sides who refuse to tolerate others' beliefs and opinions. How have we gotten to the point where freedom of speech is only valid if we agree with each other????
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-15-20, 11:19 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm the only one in my extended family who wore a mask to an outdoor get-together recently. I brought my own chair, water bottle, and food. I tried to maintain distance between others but they kept coming too close. I left after an hour. They all thought I was overdoing it. I just kept saying, so be it if I'm overdoing it. I'd rather overdo it than risk my health and my family's health. What's the harm in overdoing it right now when SO many people in my area are so careless? I was comfortable in my mask, I was able to eat my food, I saw family in person (w/o hugging tho). I don't get it. I'm going to continue with my overdoing it until further notice!
Old 07-15-20, 11:42 AM  
Gams

I may just wear a mask for the rest of my life - I like people not being able to tell how old I am. 😄
Old 07-15-20, 12:16 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I don't get people who accuse others of "overdoing it." I guess they don't see or care what's going on in the hotbed states.

Oh well - you can't fix stupid.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is