Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-20, 03:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

How and when did you start working out, with or without videos?

The thread by Bfit about helping a friend to start working out and the friend rejecting all of bfit's suggestions got me wondering about our Vfers: How/when did YOU begin working out?

i am sure this has been explored before, so please tag this thread (i tried searching using Google before starting this thread) if a tag exists.

i used to jog sporadically with my older brothers when marathon running was all the rage and they trained in the neighborhood. It looked fun, and it was a chance to do something athletic, which was sorely lacking in my life! my uncle even bought me some Nike waffle shoes, which were really expensive, but awesome.

i ran off and on in college in fun runs and took weight training and aikido classes. 5 years after that, i took up running again because my cholesterol was creeping past 200. i was a YWCA member for about a year to use their gym facilities during lunch at work.

i decided to try TV shows in the mid-90s on The Health Network, borrowed videos from the library, and then bought a few from Blockbuster Video. it grew from there, and i still walk outdoors a lot in my neighborhood.

my DH is a PE teacher, so i get a lot of support from him too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 03:27 PM  
Demeris

In high school, early 70s, I did stretching, fire hydrants, arm circles, and a few isometric exercises while I watched tv at night.

I joined Elaine Powers in college.

After college, I was a runner, and I ran for over 10 years before I got a knee injury.

In my late 20s, I took up swimming, and I swam regularly for about 15 years (some of those concurrently with running--man oh man was I healthy).

I joined a gym so I could have 24/7 access to a pool, and there I did step aerobics and worked out on the nautilus machines. I also took some rather rudimentary mat pilates classes and some yoga.

I started doing Yoga Journal tapes in my mid 30s, then advanced to Firm dvds. After my Firm tapes, but before I found VF, I got tapes from Collage Video.

I guess this is a long winded explanation that I've always had the impulse to exercise, but I didn't really become a full-fledged vidiot until my 40s. And I'm 63, now.

Last edited by Demeris; 11-28-20 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Reading other responses reminded me of other things I did.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 03:31 PM  
bubbles76

I started working out when I took a weight training class in college. After college I had several gym memberships and went to the gym to work out faithfully. I took kickboxing, yoga, and Body Pump classes. I bought my first workout DVD - Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes, to supplement the yoga class I took at the gym. I then joined the military, which is all about working out. I don't think I worked out solely to dvds until I was out of the military. Heck, it may not have been until after Tiny Bubble was born.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 03:41 PM  
BunnyHop

When I was in high school, part of our PE was a dance class where we danced to records like Michael Jackson's Off the Wall.

I enjoyed the way it made me feel strong so when I found Jane Fonda's vinyl workout (two discs IIRC), I took it from there. The music on that was really great! Wore that completely out, worked out to it for a long, long time, but never made the jump to video workouts because I didn't have a VCR til I was in my mid twenties, and then they were SO expensive. I think I did get one Jane Fonda VHS, but didn't really like it the way I had the original workout.
Old 11-28-20, 03:45 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I was lucky enough to have some elementary school teachers who were "fitness buffs" in the late seventies / early eighties, so we did a running program at school. I was a horribly uncoordinated kid, and never any good at sports, but always wished I was. In high school I would watch Charlene Prickett do step aerobics on TV, and was in awe. I would also watch Caribbean Workout. In university, I got up the nerve to take some aerobics classes and then step aerobics classes at a local community centre, and was hooked. I found a copy of Kathy's Smith step aerobics workout while browsing in the library one day was in heaven.

In my mid-twenties, I realized that if I could do step aerobics for an hour, I could probably run as well, and I entered a 10K road race. I have been doing 2 or 3 races a year ever since.

I got up the nerve in my forties to take a beginner learn-to-play hockey program, and a couple of years later finally joined a real team, with actual stats and referees and playoffs and all that. I am still not very good, but it is a ton of fun and I am living out one of my childhood dreams.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 03:50 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

High school and college my exercise was horses and marching band LOL

In grad school I took up swimming laps a few days a week - I was 27. A few months into that, I acquired Kathy Smith's Fat Burning on VHS and using a couple of times a week in addition to swimming (and riding my horse). I'm 59. Still riding and working out.
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 04:01 PM  
killoffsonny

In 1993 I joined a gym and have a been a member of one gym or another since then. Before joining the gym I used to do exercise to programs on tv. ESPN I think. I remember Nancy Popp and Tamilee Webb. I started buying videos after I discovered videofitness. But I was never a vidiot. I would just supplement my workouts with videos when I couldn't get to the gym.
Old 11-28-20, 04:13 PM  
alisoncooks

I played sports in high school, and my softball coach was also the football coach. He was really into strength training for his athletes, using a machine and free weights (with spotters and everything). We had to log weight/reps/sets as part of practice.

I much prefer strength to cardio -- I'm not sure if that's from my high school experience or if I would've always leaned that way (I am of a more stocky/muscular build and find cardio difficult).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 04:18 PM  
Lori_Michigan

1993, bought a couple step VHS tapes (Cher and the Reebok ones) since I had done some Gilad step workouts on tv. My goal was to lose weight. I used them everyday for like 5 months straight and only ate cereal and baked potatoes! I lost 65 pounds and thought I'd be skinny forever!

Moved on to Cathe eventually and Kathy Smith, pretty much just step workouts for most of the 90s. Sporadically worked out in gyms through the years. Moved to all at home again in 2009. Now I do a huge variety of workouts, and I definitely won't be skinny again now that I'm in full fledge perimenopause! Aww, youth.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-20, 04:43 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I started doing fire hydrants and all that stuff every day before high school '69-'71. I don't remember what I did in college, but I joined Elaine Powers Figure Salon when I started working in '74 and have been working out regularly ever since - racquetball, treadmill, "aerobic dance," low impact, step, Nautilus equipment, bands, weights, TV fitness shows, Nordic Trac, exercise bike, videos, DVDs, YouTube and now Zoom!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first videos, first workout