Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-19, 11:49 AM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Fitbit to be Acquired by Google

This is an email my mom received this morning (she has a Fitbit Charge 2):

"Dear Valued Fitbit User,

Over 12 years ago, my co-founder, Eric Friedman, and I founded Fitbit with the vision of making the world healthier. I’m excited to share the next step in achieving that vision with you today. Fitbit has entered into a definitive agreement to be acquired by Google. Read the full press release here.

What does this mean for you? For the immediate future, nothing changes. But the goal is that with Google’s resources and global platform, we will be able to innovate and bring you, and our millions of other users around the world, even more great products and services to support you on your health and wellness journeys. We know no one size fits all, so we are still dedicated to providing choice through a broad range of devices, software and services, and will continue to support both Android and iOS operating systems.

You, our users, are at the center of everything we do, and it’s important that you know that your trust is central to our mission and has been since day one. This will not change by joining Google. We are committed to the same strong data privacy and security protections. You will always be in control of your data, and we will remain transparent about the data we collect and why. We never sell your personal information, and Fitbit health and wellness data will not be used for Google ads.

Today’s announcement is just the first step in this process. The transaction is expected to close in 2020, subject to customary closing conditions, including approval by Fitbit’s stockholders and regulatory approvals.

When Eric and I started Fitbit, we could never have imagined the incredible community Fitbit would have today. Fitbit has more than 28 million active users around the globe and everything we do comes from our commitment to your health and wellbeing. None of this would be possible without you. So, my sincere thanks to you for being a loyal customer. I look forward to the next phase of our journey together!

Sincerely,
James Park
CEO, President & Co-Founder"

Here are some article links:

https://blog.google/products/hardwar...189.1566566630

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/01/goog...1-billion.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/01/tech/...ion/index.html
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 01:03 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Interesting, thank you!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-19, 05:54 PM  
antbuko

Well, Google already knows me quite well due to having an android phone and being a youtube junkie and Google play music subscriber and a Chromecast user, so they might as well keep tabs on my fitness too, lol. I've had excellent customer service experiences with them so, this should be fine.
Old 11-01-19, 06:03 PM  
alisoncooks

I'll keep an eye on this. Maybe Google will be able to fix Fitbit's battery/life issues. I'd get one but I'm always waiting for the model that doesn't die right after warranty ends...(still waiting...)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 08:22 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Helen, right? The Google already knows my all.

A guy in my office with severe health problems is getting an Apple Smart Watch. It will send EKGs to his patient portal for his cardiologist to monitor, and detect if he's going into AFib.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 08:41 AM  
geojill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Helen, right? The Google already knows my all.

A guy in my office with severe health problems is getting an Apple Smart Watch. It will send EKGs to his patient portal for his cardiologist to monitor, and detect if he's going into AFib.
That is crazy and a super cool use of technology!!
Old 11-02-19, 11:22 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Anyone with a current fitbit account received that email message with the announcement.

I will be interested in seeing what this actually means to me as a consumer. There has been a decline in customer service and somewhat in quality control at Fitbit IMHO. I had the HR for a year and it had the worst charging system ever, the Charge 2 which I loved and never had a problem with in the 3 years I used it, and now I have the Charge 3 that I like but has had many many quirks and blips! I have to reboot it periodically and it loses some data in the process. So far it hasn't been annoying enough to reactivate my Charge 2 which I'm hesitant to do anyway since Fitbit no longer supports it and after 3 years I expect it doesn't have much life left in it.

I'm not looking for the Apple watch level of technology in a fitness band, and that seems to be where the focus has been and was going prior to this announcement. We all need to stay tuned to see what comes next, I guess.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 11:28 AM  
Vantreesta

I've had a Fitbit account since 2014 but I never got this email.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 12:23 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I've had a Fitbit account since 2014 but I never got this email.
Oops! Sorry I made the assumption. Not sure why some people got the email and others didn’t.

Thanks for sharing the info, adawn.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 01:15 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Oops! Sorry I made the assumption. Not sure why some people got the email and others didn’t.

Thanks for sharing the info, adawn.
It is weird that everyone wouldn't, though, isn't it? I even checked my spam and did a search.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit bit, fitbit