Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-19, 09:59 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Oh, Pavel! Yes! I took to heart his method of not training to failure years ago and think he has saved me from both injury and burn out. And his method allows me to deadlift and work with KBs almost everyday -- even a couple of times a day.
Old 10-02-19, 10:12 AM  
marki64

I have never really liked heavy weights. My knees and shoulders start to hurt and at 55 I think, "what's the point?" I really don't lift heavier than 12 pounders for upper body and a set of 15's for lower (but more comfortable with 10's or 12's.) My daughter got a set of 30lbs. She said we can share. No, I'm good. I feel the pain already just looking at them. I still love, high rep, low weight work.

Maybe this is why I don't have injuries.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 10:16 AM  
sbh

Great thread! I am almost 58 and my heaviest weight is 10lbs. Although recently I have noticed that 10lbs. seems easy. I thought about upping it a bit, but now I think I will not. Body weight would be better for me and I have been doing more workouts like that. So far, so good.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 01:25 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I have been doing more body weight exercises and yoga vs. weights. I am more interested in range of motion and strength.
I feel like when I keep up with the below I get stronger all of the time.
If I do weights which is rare I only lift 10-15lb.

I am another Mark Lauren user. I picked up his DVDs on Amazon when he had a sale. I currently am going through EFX and Mobility RX. I have also done the novice of You Are Your Own Gym and You Are Your Own Gym 2.
I find I get just enough of a cardio effect without killing myself with impact. I love that his moves include a lot of range of motion which I find I need more as I age. I am developing some really nice strength as well.

I like Jules Mitchell (Udaya) Active Restoration DVD and Yoga Biomechanics in Action Program as she has really good alignment instruction and good progressions for strength building. The DVD covers engaging all of your foot so that you align up through the leg bones to the hips. This has really helped strength in my feet, ankles, and legs. I found I just kind of dumped into my feet and quads and somehow bypassed my shins and inner thighs.
I do essentrics but need to read the book more to get the finer points.
I have been using Alo Moves to find instructors that do yoga drills to develop upper body strength and core.
When I do Caley Alyssa, Patrick and Carling, and Briohny I get some good arm and ab strength.
I feel like I just keep getting stronger and my alignment better which means way less injuries for me.
So excited every day to see the progress.
Old 10-02-19, 05:46 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I hear you, Joni!

FYI, here is a recent article from The Atlantic that supports your decision:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...groove/598837/
Interesting. Thanks.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 06:22 PM  
dmlarue1

Hi!
I am 46. 3 years ago I was pretty much killing my body with either hour long weight workouts and then I tried Hamelin hour long workouts with 9000 repetitions. I couldnt lose weight even though I was very restrictive with my diet and was about 40 pounds overweight.

I got so frustrated about hurting all the time and not getting anywhere with my weight loss. I didnt like how I felt in clothes and was frustrated. I also have a old back injury that kept getting flared up

I actually said to myself I am done with this. I started doing thebalancedlife pilates (she does 2-30 and 3-15 minute workouts a week), with some classical stretch and yoga. I even gave up cardio because I didnt want to do it.

My back stopped hurting, I had more energy and I felt better. When a doctor suggested going anti-inflammatory for my husbands rheumatoid arthritis, and then thebalancedlife offered a eating plan in that we tried it.

Along with the change in exercise and the diet plan I lost 37 pounds. I actually feel stronger now which I know makes no sense. I just recently had to do a mom and me campout where you leave the house at 5am, drive an hour, hike out an hour, set up the tent, walk all over all day to 10pm....in the past I would just feel exhausted and my back would hurt...this time fine...I felt a little sore but I stretched and it went right away.

I have no plans to go back. I think about sometimes adding Jessica Smith, but with being the breadwinner working mom with 2 kids in sports, boy scouts and cub scouts...I just dont have the time. I actually ordered my level one classical stretch training and havent finished even though I ordered it months ago, I just run out of time.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 07:06 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

That's quite a story! And all this in three years?! Congratulations!!

I'd bet you would be a terrific CS instructor, if that is what you would like to do in the future. Thanks for sharing your victory over your challenges!
Old 10-02-19, 07:29 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
That is what I started doing, light weights for shoulder work and heavier for the larger muscle groups. I use five and eight pounds.

I also find that my form affected a lot of my shoulder strain. I was hunching my shoulders, instead of holding them back and down.
she may have some on her You Tube channel. Otherwise, I purchased her total flip dvd's about 18 months ago, everything else is streaming.

I think if you don't what to buy any of her programs, you can garner enough information from her channel or her FB page to make up a circuit workout. She uses mostly basic exercises, squats, dead lift, lunges going back, rows for the back, press for the chest, pullovers for the back and core, planks. She does about 15 reps of the heaviest weight that you can do with good form. As a beginner you may do one set of 15 reps for each of the major and minor muscle groups. some one with weight experience , may do 2 rounds and advanced may do three.
Old 10-02-19, 08:25 PM  
bjones

I totally agree about using light weights for shoulders. One thing also I learned from my PT-exercises like the overhead press and the upright row cause impingement of the shoulder joint. And Cathe's new LITE workouts are filled with them!!! That is so frustrating since those workouts are for (I think) older women who want to scale back the intensity to prevent injuries. So word to the wise-just don't do those! Do lateral and front raises instead.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-19, 04:43 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

My heavies for me are my 12 pounders for lower body, though my 15s for deadlifts are okay, that is the only exercise that I will use that heavy of weight for. As someone else said upthread, I find myself using 8-10 pounders more these days and my 12s for shorter sets. I used to use 15s for lower body and I was never comfortable going that heavy.

For upper, the heaviest I use is one 15 for one arm rows, I do have a 20 but I haven't used it in a while, if I did that is the only exercise I would use it for. I used to use one 15 for french presses but have been using one 12 for a while.

I guess I prefer more moderate weights these days, with some light and heavy thrown in there.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, dumbbell size, heavy lifting, light weights, mark lauren