Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-19, 08:46 AM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

I have never been a Pilates fan, but yesterday, I did Karen Voight's Total Body Training Pilates (I hadn't done it in ages as I have the vhs version). It uses a Pilates ring. It is a great workout for the thighs and butt in particular.
Old 09-15-19, 08:51 AM  
cherimac

My current favorite is Pilates Nest. Pilates Anytime is another great one. Jessica Valant is a good instructor, I just wanted more Pilates content. Pilates by Lisa I did for years, but she’s not true Pilates. She does too many reps and lacks flow. It’s more Pilates inspired, in my opinion.
Old 09-15-19, 09:13 AM  
bubbles76

Cheryl thanks for asking this question! I mostly use dvds for pilates (when I test the waters with pilates, ha!) and it's nice to have options in one place that are progressive. Are you looking for free sites specifically, or it doesn't matter as long as it's good?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 09:36 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
My current favorite is Pilates Nest. Pilates Anytime is another great one. Jessica Valant is a good instructor, I just wanted more Pilates content. Pilates by Lisa I did for years, but she’s not true Pilates. She does too many reps and lacks flow. It’s more Pilates inspired, in my opinion.
I don’t understand this. You said Lisa is too many reps and lacks flow, but then you said it’s more Pilates inspired. I don’t get that? Please explain. How can it be too much Pilates inspired if it’s suppose to be Pilates ?

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 09:37 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Cheryl thanks for asking this question! I mostly use dvds for pilates (when I test the waters with pilates, ha!) and it's nice to have options in one place that are progressive. Are you looking for free sites specifically, or it doesn't matter as long as it's good?
I would have preferred for a free site but I joined Jessica’s on line classes last night since she is also closing her doors until next year

~~~Cheryl

Old 09-15-19, 11:58 AM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
I don’t understand this. You said Lisa is too many repair lacks flow, but then you said it’s more Pilates inspired. I don’t get that? Please explain. How can it be too much Pilates inspired if it’s suppose to be Pilates ?
I'm not Cheri, but what I think she meant is that Lisa's workouts are more inspired by Pilates rather than true Pilates in nature. In other words, they are Pilates-like, but not true, classical Pilates.

I hope you like Jessica's site! She does have the 30 day beginner program if you want to start there.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 12:04 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I'm not Cheri, but what I think she meant is that Lisa's workouts are more inspired by Pilates rather than true Pilates in nature. In other words, they are Pilates-like, but not true, classical Pilates.

I hope you like Jessica's site! She does have the 30 day beginner program if you want to start there.
Oh thank you. What are specific Pilates moves she does something extra to it ?

I’m very glad I asked because I wouldn’t know the difference but I understand what you said. I do plan on doing a beginners after this Saturday or before. I have 3 more days of Robin, then I will have gotten myself into a morning routine I can do. That means, do it before breakfast. When I eat, I drag it out to ‘you can do that later, or after I eat this and then wait ½ hour and still don’t want to do it.

~~~Cheryl

Old 09-15-19, 12:06 PM  
prettyinpink

I recommend John Garey tv. His instruction is excellent. He includes different workout levels. Just workouts without recipe, lifestyle and generic mindfulness stuff (that stuff doesn’t bother me but I don’t want to pay extra for it).

I like Pilates by Lisa and think her instruction is good. She does do more reps than traditional Pilates, and I think especially for some of her lower body stuff, she includes a lot of more traditional calisthenic mat exercises rather than sticking to straight Pilates. This is actually one of the things I like about her, because I love lower body mat work and her’s is challenging. I think the high reps is why some might say she is advanced, but actually she doesn’t include some of the more advanced classical Pilates mat variations.

Pilates Anytime and Pilatesology have lots of content and lots of instructors to choose from. Almost overwhelming to me but lots of good stuff.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 12:06 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
I have never been a Pilates fan, but yesterday, I did Karen Voight's Total Body Training Pilates (I hadn't done it in ages as I have the vhs version). It uses a Pilates ring. It is a great workout for the thighs and butt in particular.
I love my ring. I may have thrown out or got rid of other stuff, but in my soul I still knew I would get back to Pilates. I like the ring better than band workouts

My electronic devices don’t like the word , LOVE, they always want to replace it with LIVE.

~~~Cheryl

Old 09-15-19, 12:11 PM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
Oh thank you. What are specific Pilates moves she does something extra to it ?
I think PrettyinPink explained it well. She does a lot more of what I would consider "old school" type floor work, rather than classical Pilates moves. I didn't know the difference at first either, but I actually liked that about her.

Good for you for getting into the habit! I hope you like Jessica's stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post

I like Pilates by Lisa and think her instruction is good. She does do more reps than traditional Pilates, and I think especially for some of her lower body stuff, she includes a lot of more traditional calisthenic mat exercises rather than sticking to straight Pilates. This is actually one of the things I like about her, because I love lower body mat work and her’s is challenging. I think the high reps is why some might say she is advanced, but actually she doesn’t include some of the more advanced classical Pilates mat variations.
I agree with you, I liked that about her too. I also thought about my wording of "advanced" because I realized in hindsight some might take that to mean she uses advanced Pilates moves, whereas I really meant she has lots of reps which makes it more challenging. I do miss her floor work!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates, pilates on youtube, pilates streaming