Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-19, 05:07 PM  
diggerholliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
That's me. For the life of me, I can't do a rolling back to standing move. Never have. I'm short, big butt, and one slightly wonky knee. Not conducive to the roll to stand.

Which is too bad because they look fun. ;-)
The only way I can do that is if I cross my feet at the ankles. It also works better when my right foot is on top. Don't know why but if this is something you want to try see if it works for you.
diggerholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 05:12 PM  
diggerholliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I have a hard enough time lifting my butt from the ground in that crab kick position let alone raising my leg and arm at the same time. In another move, Cathe is almost in a downward dog and again moving the body and hand leg off the ground at the same time. Is part of my problem just genetics or am I not pushing myself hard enough?
For that crab move, what has worked for me is having my hands up on a step and then I can kind of touch my toes. For the downdog move just hold the downdog. I agree with what many others have said, part of it is our anatomy and our bone structure. If you really want to do the move modify, if not then skip it.
Old 03-07-19, 06:43 PM  
maitai

Jajajajajajajaja!! You made my day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I have a hard enough time lifting my butt from the ground in that crab kick position let alone raising my leg and arm at the same time. In another move, Cathe is almost in a downward dog and again moving the body and hand leg off the ground at the same time. Is part of my problem just genetics or am I not pushing myself hard enough?
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 06:56 PM  
Poodlepants

I have a long torso with short legs in relation, so a lot of yoga poses are truly inaccessible for me. I can't do anything like mermaid or king pigeon-- my legs are too short. Forget compass.

I once wrote about this at r/yoga and the board know-it-all told me I was making excuses. Whatever.
Old 03-08-19, 06:57 AM  
amoodygirl

I cannot do pistol squats. They kill my knees so I just won't do them.

I am 61 and have consistently exercised for at least 40 years. I started out when the aerobic craze began and pounded my body on concrete before we had great shoes, great flooring and before we knew any better! I listen to my body and just don't do anything that may injure me. I hope to keep exercising until I'm at least 90!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 03:27 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerholliday View Post
The only way I can do that is if I cross my feet at the ankles. It also works better when my right foot is on top. Don't know why but if this is something you want to try see if it works for you.
Ah ha! I will try that!! Thank you!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 02:25 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Some moves just don't work for us because we aren't built to do them - some moves require longer or shorter arms or legs or a longer or shorter torso to do comfortably and safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I don't think I have the right body type ratio for doing tricep push ups. I can do many regular push ups on my toes, but those damn tricep push ups just feel so awkward to me. Sometimes i do what I can on my knees, but other times I just do tricep kickbacks.
Same, and in my case my generous booty further reduces the range

I just started Workouts 3 and 4 in month 1 of Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution set and was completely unable to do rockstar planks and also had to use my hands for support in surrenders and plank-to-crescent. I've done yoga for years and still have a lot of trouble stepping forward between my hands into a lunge.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 07:53 PM  
ncl

I definitely have limitations (darn it!).

Let's see.

Like another poster, tricep pushups also always seem awkward for me. Somehow they just don't work. They are also hard on one's rotator cuffs apparently, so I either do them very shallow or sub in some kickbacks or french press.

Also, can't do clams. Well, I can do them, but always get piriformis trigger points if I do them with resistance. I can do lot of other abduction work so I do that instead. It's a weird one. I think just my anatomy.

Also, I can't do days upon days of strength work. 2-3 days a week and sometimes 3 is too much (unless I am doing splits)...I just get too sore. Also I put on muscle fairly easily.

Repetitive jumping. I can do some high impact, but over and over and over does not seem to agree with me any more.

I am sure there are other things, but it is nice to see that I am not alone in this thread!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 08:53 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Same, and in my case my generous booty further reduces the range

I just started Workouts 3 and 4 in month 1 of Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution set and was completely unable to do rockstar planks and also had to use my hands for support in surrenders and plank-to-crescent. I've done yoga for years and still have a lot of trouble stepping forward between my hands into a lunge.
I have trouble stepping forward between my hands too!! Its so nice to know its not just me.

And glad i could give some of you a laugh, LOL!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-19, 09:24 PM  
diggerholliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I've done yoga for years and still have a lot of trouble stepping forward between my hands into a lunge.
Same! Always some major adjustments going on.

Tags
osteoarthritis, plica