Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-19, 01:07 PM  
Fitstick

Moves that you can’t do

Hi there, I’ve been exercising for years and find it so frustrating when I struggle with the moves. For example, yesterday I did the abs segment from Fit Split that had crab kicks and a lot of moves I find so difficult. I’m trying to figure out if I should just modify or force myself to try the difficult move. I have a hard enough time lifting my butt from the ground in that crab kick position let alone raising my leg and arm at the same time. In another move, Cathe is almost in a downward dog and again moving the body and hand leg off the ground at the same time. Is part of my problem just genetics or am I not pushing myself hard enough?
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 01:26 PM  
Gams

I don’t know for certain, but I think that pushing yourself too hard could be a recipe for injury.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 01:46 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

You want your workouts to enhance your life, not cause injury. I don't know what your goals are for fitness, but definitely never work in pain or in positions that cause awkwardness or potential injury. Exercise should help, not hurt.

Think about it. Why are you working out?

Modify.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 01:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I agree. I've been going to physical therapy twice a week for about a month now. He started me off on very basic stuff and each week has progressed me to harder versions of similar work. This is stuff I would have thought was very basic before this, but because I'm now doing things very slowly and really concentrating on form, it's pretty hard work! I used to think my form was fine but after working with the PT, I wonder if I will ever go back to my videos. I feel like I'm getting in a much more difficult and useful workout in less time.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 04:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
You want your workouts to enhance your life, not cause injury. I don't know what your goals are for fitness, but definitely never work in pain or in positions that cause awkwardness or potential injury. Exercise should help, not hurt.

Think about it. Why are you working out?

Modify.
Agree wholeheartedly!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 04:45 PM  
Fitstick

I agree and would not push myself to injury. Just wondering because the moves are so difficult if I need to try harder before I modify. Maybe it’s a hard question to answer, but I get so frustrated with some of those moves. That’s why I got rid of p90x3, I was like “what the heck is Tony doing?”
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 04:46 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I think it really depends on the move and your goals. Some moves are difficult because we just don't seem to be built to do it (for example, that crab thing is tough I think if you aren't overly flexible. There are others like that---the split is another one). This type can lead to injury if you push too far, IMHO. Then there are others that are difficult and you can't do currently, but maybe with practice you can. I would put chin ups or pull ups in that category, even a straight leg push up. The moves themselves won't necessarily cause injury, but they are tough.

I do think we need to challenge ourselves, and just doing moves that are "easy" to do now isn't much of a stretch if the goal is improved fitness. I try to increase weights when I do weight training or I won't get stronger. Personally I am aiming for maintaining strength and flexibility as I don't aspire to be a bodybuilder. That said, I'm not afraid to try things. Only I can assess how my body feels in response to a move. I can decide not to do it at that point. Looking at you, split. Never happening.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-19, 08:01 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
Hi there, I’ve been exercising for years and find it so frustrating when I struggle with the moves. For example, yesterday I did the abs segment from Fit Split that had crab kicks and a lot of moves I find so difficult. I’m trying to figure out if I should just modify or force myself to try the difficult move. I have a hard enough time lifting my butt from the ground in that crab kick position let alone raising my leg and arm at the same time. In another move, Cathe is almost in a downward dog and again moving the body and hand leg off the ground at the same time. Is part of my problem just genetics or am I not pushing myself hard enough?
I applaud you for even attempting those moves! They’re super tough :-) You could always take a step back and start working more on your core with other less advanced Cathe workouts and then come back and try Fit Split. Or maybe focus learning one of the moves at a time with a slower pace. Cathe moves very quickly. Just try your best and be safe.
Old 03-04-19, 08:38 AM  
donnamp

Some moves just don't work for us because we aren't built to do them - some moves require longer or shorter arms or legs or a longer or shorter torso to do comfortably and safely.

I really dislike videos/exercises that seem to be "different" for no point other than being "different", especially if there is a safer and more accessible exercise that could be done in its place. (I hope that makes sense!)

I wouldn't risk injury just to do some move in a video that may or may not be right for your body type, especially if there is a safer substitute.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 08:09 AM  
Rhonda

I do the moves but usually at a slower pace than the instructor. If I have to stop early I do. I don't feel bad anymore. I am getting older and there are things I just can't do like I did before. Doesn't mean I am weaker or anything, the body changes and I do what I can.

P90x3 was to me a crazy set. I didn't keep it either, way out of my league.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osteoarthritis, plica