Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-18, 12:12 PM  
Diana3271

Question What causes SI pain for you?

I am having SI pain again. It seems like every time I go back to my heavier (not heavy by most people's standards) weights and do my KCM's workouts I end up with SI pain. It could just be a coincidence. I remember someone mentioning dead lifts. I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

Please share what causes your SI to flare and cause you pain. TIA

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 12:43 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Diana, sorry you are in pain! I’ve had SI issues over the years & it is painful! I stay away from Kelly’s workouts because they tend to irritate my low back in general. One move that irritates my SI is wood choppers. I will do them, but make the movement small & use a light weight. Actually any twisting move with weights can set my SI off. I stick to low weight/high rep as along with a fussy SI, I have cranky knees & arthritis in my thumbs & wrists. Heavy weights, long planks, & push ups don’t leave me feeling good.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 01:15 PM  
Diana3271

Thank you for your reply. Hmm, so I guess the two standing ab workouts on Friday from JS was what sent me over the edge. The SI was already painful but everything was hurting on Sat. when I got up.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 08-20-18, 03:12 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hi Diana, sorry you are in pain! I’ve had SI issues over the years & it is painful! I stay away from Kelly’s workouts because they tend to irritate my low back in general. One move that irritates my SI is wood choppers. I will do them, but make the movement small & use a light weight. Actually any twisting move with weights can set my SI off. I stick to low weight/high rep as along with a fussy SI, I have cranky knees & arthritis in my thumbs & wrists. Heavy weights, long planks, & push ups don’t leave me feeling good.
I had this same experience with KCM. Love her as an instructor, but those twisting moves just aggravated my nerve pain. Had to quit doing her workouts entirely. I have the same issue with Jessica Smith's strength workouts too.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 04:03 PM  
Floren

I used to have this same problem with SI and twisting moves. What really helped (me) was strengthening my core, especially lower abs. I try to remember to brace my core before twisting, each time (but this only worked once I strengthened my core).

Keeping the psoas nice and stretched really made a big difference too. I have to stretch that every day. I also do a little extra warming up of the lower back area before I do any twisty moves.

Hope you find relief. You probably already know about Barbara Benaugh's Yoga for Stress Relief DVD, the SI routine. It really is like magic.
Floren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 05:35 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
I used to have this same problem with SI and twisting moves. What really helped (me) was strengthening my core, especially lower abs. I try to remember to brace my core before twisting, each time (but this only worked once I strengthened my core).

Keeping the psoas nice and stretched really made a big difference too. I have to stretch that every day. I also do a little extra warming up of the lower back area before I do any twisty moves.

Hope you find relief. You probably already know about Barbara Benaugh's Yoga for Stress Relief DVD, the SI routine. It really is like magic.
Yes strengthening my core & regular stretching help, I have done & continue to do both. My SIs are better, but still sensitive, had a bad bout a few months ago. So I am aware of the modifications I need to make with twisty workouts, particularly when they involve hand weights.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-18, 08:33 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post

Yes! I have that one and I took it back out last week.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 08-20-18, 08:34 PM  
Diana3271

Thank you very much for your replies. They have been very helpful.

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 08-21-18, 12:27 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I never did KCM workouts, but for me what kicked off sciatica and piriformis syndrome was regular FIRM tall box work with 15 lb dbs (30 lb total) Now I NEVER do that, and don't have the sciatica or piriformis symptoms either.

I found a nifty little routine that is magic for me, from the book "3 minutes to back pain relief" or something like that. Every day, in this order, for at least 30 seconds each:

Child's pose with arms extended in front of your head
Cobra, concentrating on NOT clenching glutes
Cat/cow, alternating EXHALE when contracting, INHALE when extending
Malasana (deep squat, doesn't matter what your foot position is, can elevate heels if needed)
Upavistha konasana (wide-legged pose, can bend forward or side to side, whatever feels best)
Baddha konasana (cobbler's pose) with spine straight or bent forward, whatever feels best.

Not in the prescribed routine but I usually do 30 seconds at least of downward dog after this because it feels good.

It sounds so simple but really made a difference for me. Haven't been to the chiropractor in years!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 06:23 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Jennifer, is it this book?

I’ve been dealing with piriformis syndrome for several years now. Oddly enough, when I was doing heavy weights with a trainer (three years ago), never had any problems. Nowadays, everything seems to cause a flare-up, especially twisting movements and Leslie walks. I get instant relief from the lower extremities segment from James Knight’s Gentle Yoga through Somatic Exploration (his first one—it’s a DVD-R), but would really like to work on prevention.

ETA: Diana, Annette Fletcher's Perfect in 10 Stretch is a lifesaver as well. Hope you feel better soon!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, kcm, kelly coffey-meyer, sacroiliac joint, si joint, si pain