Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-18, 07:21 PM  
TinaT

I'm mainly interested in dvds. I don't mind free workouts on Youtube, but I'm not willing to pay a monthly subscription with all the dvds I have.

I still have all my Firms, (to a point I traded off the doubled up ones). I have TL, KV and Suzanne B. I'm always wanting to consider variety and change. Especially now with my rebounder. Looking for ways to use it and incorporate different forms of exercise.

JONI ~ I've asked the same question. SB does use a barre. So I guess she qualifies. LOL
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 05:15 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I tried Barre3 and Sadie's other DVDs, but they hurt me, not all the time, but in surprising ways and I got tired of having to concentrate on modifying. My knee doctor has told me never to have my knees jut past my toes. So much for "power legs." I know that can be modified with flat feet and rear back, but no one ever does that in the DVDs. And don't get me started on "carousel horse." That made me yelp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I'm with Cynthia. Barre3 is a knee disaster waiting to happen (for me).
I've been getting back into some barre workouts and had the same experience with Barre3. Not always but it does happen. Shame because I really like Sadie Lincoln, and I've collected several DVDs of hers that are 30 minutes, my preferred length.

I love Suzanne Bowen, especially her Prevention Flat Belly Barre. It's perfect for me! I like Bar Method and those old Lotte Berks, they're a hoot. Like Alison, I also like the early Pure Barres.

I used to not like P57 and other faster-moving barre. Haven't tried them again but I suspect I'd feel the same.

ETA - I also like some Callanetics (the recent ones with Lacey) and Ellen Barrett, though she's really pilates fusion. I prefer pilates to barre anyway and just use barre a few days a week (so far).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 10:06 AM  
Exercise Diva

I love Barre 3 and Essentrics (though Essentrics especially wouldn't be considered traditional barre 3) and am starting to incorporate some Callanetics. No knee problems with Barre 3 or Essentrics but some of the exercises in Callanetics make my knee scream, especially the pelvic rotations. May just stop dong that one altogether.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 11:22 AM  
Garrie A.

Favorite barre instructors:

-Suzanne Bowen
-Burr Leonard
-Kristen Zurek and Kristin Skordahl (Ballet Physique)
-Liz Hilliard and Clary Hilliard-Gray (Hilliard Studio Method)
-Elisabeth Halfpapp and Fred DeVito (Core Fusion)

I also think Michelle Austin (Fluidity) is a great instructor (gives great alignment and form cues) but her mannerisms slightly annoy me.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 11:23 AM  
Garrie A.

Re P57, I like the workouts, but find they are too thigh intensive. The fast pace and instruction doesn't annoy me, but I prefer more seat/glute to thigh work.
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 06-25-18, 10:04 PM  
Tugger31

I'm a big fan of Suzanne Bowen. I have P57 and it's tougher and faster with better music but tend not to reach for them. I like Cathe's Turbo Barre. It is long but easily chaptered. I also like Jennifer Galardi's Ballet Body and Tracey Mallett's barre dvds.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 08:22 AM  
TinaT

After looking at clips of all your suggestions, I think I'm good with Suzanne. I loaned all my Tracey Mallett's out to my daughter, so I might need to see if she's actually using them. If not, I'll throw her in the mix.

I'm seeing workouts differently, now that I'm incorporating the rebounder in for cardio segments, etc. I use it to warm up instead of what the workout offers, which has been a nice change.

Thank you all for you opinions and suggestions.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 06:18 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I've only dabbled in barre, and as much as I like Suzanne Bowen and Leah Sarago and some of the Bar Method DVDs were pretty fun, the only ones I kept were from the Squeeze series by Tracy Effinger.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 06:43 AM  
Garrie A.

How I could I forget about Tracy Effinger? I the Squeezes! I wish she would come out of hibernation and make an Upper Body Challenge to go with her Lower Body one.

Tracy, are you listening?
CLX 6/19-9/19

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Old 06-28-18, 09:01 AM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I like Barre3 - they offer a lot of modifications and options so you can really customize the workout to how you are feeling each day.

They are doing a 30 day challenge right now that gives you free access to some 10 minute workouts - i think they are just parts of other workouts, but it is a good place to start to get an idea about their style.

https://barre3.com/barre3anywhere

Donna
Agreed! I find Barre3--and Sadie in particular--great workouts with great instruction. The workouts can be as gentle or as tough as YOU make them. They also make my lower back (a trouble spot) feel great!
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calisthenics, suzanne bowen, tbm