Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-17, 07:50 AM  
try2bfit

Knee Pain

I have been experiencing a lot of knee pain lately. I am not sure if it is from working out too much (I was doing cardio 5 days a week for about 30 minutes and PBL for 30 minutes), arthritis or something else. I am 52 and a lot of my joints are achy and stiff. I try to incorporate mobility/stretch workouts. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jody
try2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 08:23 AM  
Sara1000

Jody sorry you are having this. I will share my own experience but it may not be right for you.

I have been nursing a painful knee for several months - really being careful not to aggravate it with lower body stuff other than limited walking as even walking has been painful.

I joined a gym and started using the stationary recumbent bike starting with just a few minutes - even after the first time I noticed my knee was much less painful afterwards. I built up gradually to about 55 minutes every day - if I missed a day my knee would hurt again. Now I'm doing 30 minutes + treadmill (slow).

Just had my regular doctor visit this week - she examined my knee and said from the crunching sound she suspected arthritis - but since it was improving she didn't recommend ex rays or MRI - just gave me a list of exercises - said I could do them on my own or pay a PT $40 to watch me do them.

This is getting long but here is the important part - the list is all the exercises I had been avoiding - the idea is to strengthen all the muscles around the knee. Even step ups were on the list.

BTW, Kathy Smith's ancient Step Workout incorporates all the exercises on that list - many of them right in the warm up. Later there is a lower body section which has them all. Great way to do your therapy to music I had been avoiding step so am starting with the lowest one but plan to build up. also I am only doing about 7 minutes of the first step segment (plus the warm up) before skipping to the lower body work.

This is just my experience but some may find it interesting. My knee feels pretty good today after doing the workout once and resting the next day.

Also the doctor recommended Aspercreme or the Aleve equivalent rather than taking oral anti-inflammatories.

Sara
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 08:58 AM  
noodles

I see a therapist when I have knee or back pain and in my case it's due to my pelvis being out of alignment - so if that's not corrected all the exercises in the world won't help me. I was also experiencing Rt hip pain after starting to use a treadmill and was found to have a weak Lt glute medius so once I worked on those muscles the pain resolved. Best to get it checked out so you can properly identify the cause.
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 10:39 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Same here, Jamie. I had knee pain for many months before seeng my doc, who took an x-ray, said no arthritis and sent me to a physical therapist. My pelvis was out of whack. I went 6 times and continue the daily exercises she gave me. To be honest, a couple of weeks before my first appointment I started doing Classical Stretch and the pain greatly improved. I'm continuing that, too.

I don't do any squats, lunges, dips or leg press anymore. Nothing that twists my knee either - like from a plie squat turning to the side for a lunge. I miss that stuff, but I think I'm doing enough lower body stuff between the CS and the PT hip/quad/glute strengthening and stretching - plus walking 3 miles every day.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-17, 12:43 PM  
Sara1000

Joni were you walking three miles with the knee pain?
Old 09-22-17, 04:56 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Walking didn't really bother it.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-17, 10:34 AM  
warriorprincess

My knee will occasionally get weak and wobbly to where I can hardly walk on it. Years ago I broke a femur and they put a rod in through the knee, and later removed it, but the knee never recovered. The resulting leg length discrepancy also puts a torque on the knee that doesn't help. I consider leg extensions to be my wonder exercise. It strengthens how the quads connect to the knee, and it always makes the pain go away the next day. I do them as heavy as I can for 3 sets of 10.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 05:03 PM  
try2bfit

Knee Pain

I finally saw a doctor for my knee pain. I have osteoarthritis. The orthopedic doctor said to do stationary bike for cardio (he said walking is not good for bad knees - too intermediate). He also said to see a physical therapist 2 or 3 times a week to show me what exercises to do and not do. I have not been doing any cardio for about a month. My knee was in so much pain from just raking the leaves last weekend. I was wondering if kettle bell swings would be okay for cardio. I will have to ask the physical therapist.
try2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-17, 05:26 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Jody, I bought this upright stationary bike from Amazon after I injured one of my knees in 2014. It's still going strong, though I can still walk and do other cardio. The PT recommended the upright posture for my knee. I was really limited for a few months and found it very helpful to get back up to speed. I also live somewhere with hot summers and chilly winter so it comes in very handy when the weather is bad for outdoor walking.

I also like videos from The Ambient Collection for when I ride it. These just have outdoors sounds instead of coaching or music, which I prefer. Most have multiple shorter, often 20 minute, routines. Mary has them on sale this week for $7.95. I tend to stick with the ones for cycling as some of the walking ones can be slow and the running ones can go over terrain that's unrealistic on a bike. But that doesn't always bother me so I've kept the few walking and running ones I have. I sort them by sunny and warm for using when it's cold and grey here and green and shady for when it's hot. Some people prefer the ones from Virtual Active as they have coaching and music, sometimes with a choice of one or the other. I found that annoying and they tend to zoom the camera off the edge of cliffs and other such things that didn't work for me. I've found a couple VA I will use, but mostly because I've been on the trails they used. Do watch the length and layout as they have a lot of different formats.

I did find I needed to start out more slowly and with shorter workouts than I'd anticipated. It's a different motion than walking.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 07:05 AM  
Sara1000

try2bfit I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

My doctor said I have it in one knee and gave me a print out of exercises that should strengthen the muscles that support the knee joint; they have helped a lot, as have the daily stationary bike rides. However she also told me it is important to keep walking and recommended working up to 30 - 60 minutes a day.

I use a recumbent bike as that is what they have at my gym. I also started with very short sessions. At first it was hard to get my HR up but as I have built strength I am able to work harder and get the HR up some. My knee hardly hurts at all now.

Tags
knee pain, osteoarthritis