Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-17, 08:33 AM  
Michefit

Dream Body vs Tonique

Hi everyone - I have been doing Tonique on and off for a while not (back on!) I love the workouts but stick mostly to her shorter express workouts because the longer ones leave me sore for days still. If I do too much I get a bulk factor in my thighs.

I have been following the threads on the Dream Body workouts recently and I have checked them out on Totalfitnessdvds..... they look really fun and exactly what I have been looking for - lighter weights with stretching moves etc... But I have been reading that they are super tough to make it through.

.... so my question is - How would you compare Tonique and Dream Body in terms of 1- difficulty 2-overall results? 3- which series would you recommend?

FYI - I did buy the first stand alone Dream Body - it's on its way - but I get the impression that the series' workouts are different.
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-17, 10:14 AM  
wendug

I'm not familiar with Dream Body so I looked at some clips on Total Fitness DVD's- wow...these look tough! I'm not a huge fan of Tonique because the reps seem to go on forever, so Dream Body looks better in that regard. However, I think these are above my fitness level. I bet they'll whip you into great shape, though!
Old 04-15-17, 11:20 AM  
Tugger31

I have the Dream Body Cardio Series but have only done 2 of the workouts, both of which I gave up on after about 20 minutes. They were so frantic I felt a wave of dizziness with all the up and down. I haven't had any motivation to try the other 3. I've been considering selling this set many times.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-17, 04:58 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Both Tonique and DreamBody use light weights. The newer Toniques don't use any weights. Tonique is more steady state while DreamBody is more interval based.

I think the easier DreamBody workouts are the Bump workout and the Sweat Lab series. The Bump workout is a pregnancy workout but it's harder than other pregnancy workouts. I bought it even though I was done having babies a long time ago.

Tonique is mainly squats, lunges, push-ups, and other bodyweight exercises. You do more reps than DreamBody. DB seems like it has lots of reps because it's constant movement. But you are changing exercises so it's not a lot of reps per exercise. You would typically do a circuit of exercises and then repeat those circuits about three times. There is more variety of movement with DB because you do some bootcamp exercises but you will also do barre, yoga, boxing, etc.

Tonique only uses light or no weights. With DB, you might use weights, tubing, and stability ball. Some workouts use a barre or chair.

I think Tonique works the lower body more while DB works the UB and core more than Tonique. DB is better for the inner thighs.
Old 04-15-17, 10:13 PM  
Michefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I'm not familiar with Dream Body so I looked at some clips on Total Fitness DVD's- wow...these look tough! I'm not a huge fan of Tonique because the reps seem to go on forever, so Dream Body looks better in that regard. However, I think these are above my fitness level. I bet they'll whip you into great shape, though!
I agree - that's what I thought when I saw the previews too... it looks like there's so much going on that the time should fly by. I kind of start watching the clock after 20 minutes of Tonique because it is so painful!
Old 04-15-17, 10:14 PM  
Michefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have the Dream Body Cardio Series but have only done 2 of the workouts, both of which I gave up on after about 20 minutes. They were so frantic I felt a wave of dizziness with all the up and down. I haven't had any motivation to try the other 3. I've been considering selling this set many times.
Thanks for the feedback - I will see how it goes - I thought the variety might make the time go by faster - but I can see how it might be too much that you throw in the towel - lol
Old 04-15-17, 10:16 PM  
Michefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
Both Tonique and DreamBody use light weights. The newer Toniques don't use any weights. Tonique is more steady state while DreamBody is more interval based.

I think the easier DreamBody workouts are the Bump workout and the Sweat Lab series. The Bump workout is a pregnancy workout but it's harder than other pregnancy workouts. I bought it even though I was done having babies a long time ago.

Tonique is mainly squats, lunges, push-ups, and other bodyweight exercises. You do more reps than DreamBody. DB seems like it has lots of reps because it's constant movement. But you are changing exercises so it's not a lot of reps per exercise. You would typically do a circuit of exercises and then repeat those circuits about three times. There is more variety of movement with DB because you do some bootcamp exercises but you will also do barre, yoga, boxing, etc.

Tonique only uses light or no weights. With DB, you might use weights, tubing, and stability ball. Some workouts use a barre or chair.

I think Tonique works the lower body more while DB works the UB and core more than Tonique. DB is better for the inner thighs.
Thanks HelenS - this was really detailed and helpful - of the two - which do you think is harder....I can't do an hour of Tonique yet - I've made to about 53 minutes. I hope Dream Body is more doable.
Old 04-16-17, 05:49 AM  
Tugger31

It wasn't the variety that had me throw in the towel, it was the speed! It was like doing a video on fast forward!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 09:52 AM  
prettyinpink

I have the first two DB series, original and cardio. I still like them a lot.

I much, much prefer them to Tonique and find them easier even though they aren't "easy". Maybe it's the changing up of exercises, I don't know. Tonique has so many more lunges, and I don't like to do that many lunges anymore. I do still like the Express ones, though. But even if you compare 50 minutes of DB to 50 minutes of Tonique, Tonique is harder for me to get through without breaks.

In the DB series, even the backgrounders aren't doing all of the reps they are counting! So I have learned to hear it more as a countdown to the next move rather than a certain number of reps left. If it is a move where it is possible to go that fast, I do, but a lot of times it isn't. I focus on good form and get a great workout.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-17, 04:48 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michefit View Post
Thanks HelenS - this was really detailed and helpful - of the two - which do you think is harder....I can't do an hour of Tonique yet - I've made to about 53 minutes. I hope Dream Body is more doable.
I think it depends on what your body is used to doing. I do Tonique two to three times a week while I only do DreamBody occasionally. So DB is tougher for me. I agree that the toughest part is that they move fast.

That's why I chose the workouts that I did because those move slower than some of the others. You can also tell yourself that you don't have to move as fast. I also agree with those that said that it gets easier the more times you do the workouts.

I also love lunges and squats which is what Tonique mostly does. The new Toniques are tougher for me than her old ones because then she starts doing a ton of push-ups, break dance moves, etc. which works the upper body. My upper body is not as strong as my lower body. The newer Toniques might be tougher than the DreamBody workouts.

Tags
dream body, tonique