Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-17, 11:19 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Tina do you think you might be allergic to something in it? I would find it odd to sweat from a facial cream.

Maybe it is the niacinamide in the Olay?

Actually, I found this on WebMD

Niacin and niacinamide are LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth. A common minor side effect of niacin is a flushing reaction.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...redientid=924&

Donna
I use anything and everything with niacinamide because it takes away the redness from my mild rosacea. Taking it in a pill would make my rosacea worse.

I would think anything topically that makes you sweat is too heavy for you.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 11:22 AM  
ardnas

Sounds like a chemical in your lotion. Have you tried anything natural? I like to use argan oil on my face, sweet almond oil on my body. I have also used vitamin E oil, aloe vera, and safflower oil on my face.
I use this list to consider which oils to use on my face since now that I am in Peri, I seem to break out easily.
Old 02-22-17, 11:40 AM  
TinaT

I never really considered it could be a reaction to a chemical. At first I wasn't going to post this thread, but now I'm glad I did. I'm definitely having hot flashes and night sweats, but I do find it odd that my face and head sweats shortly after applying my facial lotion.

We have a Pilgrim's Natural Food store in town and I know they will have something to help me.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 01:18 PM  
TinaT

I called my doctor and talked with the nurse. She feels 99.9% sure it is the niacinamide causing the issue. FYI: Neutrogena facial products don't have this ingredient in them. I can't afford high end lines, so I will try this.
Old 02-22-17, 01:47 PM  
donnamp

Glad you got to the bottom of it, Tina! I recently started making my own products at home which is easier and cheaper than I imagined. I am using jojoba oil and aloe vera gel as my main facial moisturizer. I have oily/combo skin and have read that jojoba oil is good b/c it mimics our skin's own oil and shuts down the production of excess oil. I have been using coconut and aloe as my body and hand lotion as well as my lip balm.

For store brands, I have used Olay and liked it, but I think they have too many silicones in them that were clogging my pores.

Another store brand I tried and generally liked is Cerave. And, I'm somewhat interested in SkinFix b/c it is more natural and doesn't seem to have a lot of problematic (for me) ingredients.

http://www.skinfixinc.com/us/

They sell Skin Fix at Ulta and CVS so coupons and deals should be available!

But, overall, I am really happiest these days w/ the homemade stuff - and it isn't nearly as hard or expensive as I thought it would be to go homemade. I went the homemade route b/c I was looking for something that didn't have as many silicones (dimethicone, etc.) - as I think those were probably clogging my pores and I discovered it is hard to find skin care products without them!

I was considering trying this line - too -

http://www.iherb.com/pr/Everyday-Coc...z-354-ml/50625

They have a face wash, night cream, eye cream, scrub and SPF 15 moisturizer and the price is unbelievable. But, I'm a little nervous about coconut oil and my skin.....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 01:52 PM  
donnamp

Sandra - thanks for that list - it is very helpful!!!

Donna
Old 02-22-17, 01:58 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I called my doctor and talked with the nurse. She feels 99.9% sure it is the niacinamide causing the issue. FYI: Neutrogena facial products don't have this ingredient in them. I can't afford high end lines, so I will try this.
I didn't use the Olay eye cream last night and I slept better. Right after I put it on this morning, I started having a hot flash. Very interesting.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 02:03 PM  
TinaT

Donna, both Olay and Cerave contain niacinamide. I've been searching all morning through the major brands. I wish I had your patience to create my own, but I don't. I'm just happy to have figured it out.

Thank you all for helping me and getting me to ask the right questions as to "why".
Old 02-22-17, 02:19 PM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
I can't use anything heavy or too emollient on my face or I break out - I'm 65 by the way. I like a couple of the Andalou Naturals products, specifically the Age Defying Facial Serum SPF 30 it's a very light lotion that absords quickly. I use it under makeup.
I second the recommendation for Andalou Naturals. I'm past menopause but my skin isn't dry, so I don't use heavy creams, and I love their Brightening line.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-17, 02:28 PM  
donnamp

Oh Tina, that's right - I forgot about the niacinimide in Cerave!

Diana - that is interesting about the eye cream and hot flashes.....

Donna

Tags
face lotion, menopause, moisturizers