Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-14, 02:16 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
However, I would never let any chiro, even the doctor I visited, lay a hand on my neck and snap my head around. I think that neck adjustment is very risky.
So far (keeping fingers crossed!) I've been able to rehab myself and haven't had to go the chiropractic route, but some of my friends did. Their reports have been thumbs up, except for one instance when neck adjustment was involved.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 03:10 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I saw one --too long--for a condition I learned later can't be healed. In addition to regular techniques, she'd optimistically bring out the next cure like orthotics for my shoes. Then she attended a seminar and decided Graston technique would be the miracle, provided I go 3x weekly.

The only damage was to my schedule and my insurance company's and my wallet.

Though I'm irresponsible approaching this with such trust --I was desperate for ANYTHING to feel better--she was negligent in failing to monitor for improvement. And she never instructed me in any self-care.

Unlike physical therapy that gave me somewhat more relief, insurance just paid and paid. The chiros must really have the insurance industry in their pockets for some reason.

My ultimate tentative diagnosis is mitochondrial disorder, an inherited neuro-muscular condition for which there is no cure.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 04:49 PM  
ChrisS

I have been seeing one for a running injury. He has been great and said he wants to fix the problem not put a Band-Aid on it. However, if he doesn't feel like we are seeing results after 4 to 6 sessions, he will refer me to a physician.
ChrisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 06:02 PM  
cristinalatina

Wow, what an interesting mixed bag of experiences!

I wish I had a more solid opinion, I will need to update after my next visit. I have to say that my chiropractor said that the problem should be sorted in a few short visits.

Friends, you might find this funny, but to each physio/doctor/chiro I've seen (I had seen one more in the past with no results) I ask always the same thing. "Is there any hope for improvement?" All of them have replied,either not much, or I can't make any promises, etc. (one even said, the only thing I'm sure of is death...about anything else I'm uncertain)

That person was the only one who said an enthusiastic "Yes! You gotta have hope!" I was left speechless. He might be over promising, but what if he's not?

By the way, it's been a week since I saw him and my pelvis is starting to "lock up" again where he "cracked" it. I can't wait for Wednesday.

Finally, just wanted to say that I looked into this after reading Lana Asprey's story, she is a T-Tapp devotee (and Shiva Rea lookalike!) who had the exact same issue and fixed with T-Tapp. http://t-tapp.com/success/lanaa/index.html She even went on to have another baby, although I don't know the specifics.

Personally I think T-Tapp (and the tuck) worked against me during pregnancy pelvis-wise, although the slimming results I got were spectacular, even when pregnant.

Thank you all for the very interesting contributions!
Old 10-13-14, 06:13 PM  
Fidget Queen

I think it's extremely beneficial for structural issues. I would argue that any other claims they make should be approached very carefully and critically. I know many chiropractors like to fancy themselves healers of everything and anything, but I don't buy it.

I go because I have an SI joint that slips out of place at the slightest mis-step. Sometimes I can get it into place myself, often I can't. Physical Therapy was actually harmful, as the woman actually pulled my joint OUT of place every time. Now that I know how my body works more, I'm in shock that she was so ignorant. I was in agony after every session. I've seen several doctors and they had nothing to offer.

My favorite chiropractor did Active Release Technique as well as very soft, easy manipulation of the skeleton. That worked like magic for me. I love her and wish I had her back . The chiropractors that violently jar your bones into place scare the living crap out of me, and the adjustment doesn't last. My bones tend to go out of place as violently as the person puts it into place.

THAT said, I had found someone who I thought was a great chiropractor the last couple of years. I saw him often and he was gentle. But then I had a bad experience with one of his adjustments (and he got very lazy over time), and he treated me like absolutely garbage over it. I went to a massage therapist who fixed it in 5 minutes, though.

Not all chiropractors are the same, and not all techniques are the same. It's hard to find someone you click with and can trust. But when a joint is out of place, there is really no other way to get it back into place, although there are very talented massage therapists who can do this work more slowly and gently (I found one!). It's the only thing that has provided relief for me. You just have to be careful and informed.

I'm very glad you found some pain relief, though!
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 07:07 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
<snip> Finally, just wanted to say that I looked into this after reading Lana Asprey's story, she is a T-Tapp devotee (and Shiva Rea lookalike!) who had the exact same issue and fixed with T-Tapp. http://t-tapp.com/success/lanaa/index.html She even went on to have another baby, although I don't know the specifics.

Personally I think T-Tapp (and the tuck) worked against me during pregnancy pelvis-wise, although the slimming results I got were spectacular, even when pregnant.

Thank you all for the very interesting contributions!
T-Tapp has given me problems in the past to where I had to back off from it, and it has also fixed problems for me. For me, a lot did have to do with that tuck, but I had to learn to activate it the right way (from the lower abs...my abs have always been sort of out of it, even after having done Pilates and core work.) Have you tried emailing the office with your concern? Someone might be able to help, and if not, they forward the email to Teresa. They have helped me in the past with a psoas problem, but not recently with my pelvic floor issue (but no one really can for that it seems.)

I have seen a chiropractor for a neck issue, at the advise of my massage therapist (who is a genius.) She did a little adjustment and some Graston Technique, and gave me some home. I got some relief, but I still have issues with my neck. The only thing that really keeps it under control is regular consistent stretching, which are different than the ones she gave me.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 02:01 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

bunnyHop's link is worth a read

as is this http://whatstheharm.net/chiropractic.html

and this is an archive of very interesting articles about chiro http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/.../chiropractic/

past a really great massage .....?

no

(same with acupuncture, homeopathy aaaaaand yeah. I'm the resident skeptic)
Old 10-14-14, 02:15 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcritters View Post
It doesn't matter what other people think of chiropractic. It's what you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Listen to your body: if you're pain free after chiro, it's working for you.
Cristina, i'm glad you found something that worked for you.

i went to see one a long time ago, and i went on the advice of a friend. i was having trouble conceiving, and i explained this to the practitioner, who did not hesitate in giving me "an adjustment."

i wasn't a regular exerciser back then - i mostly ran, and i lifted weights in the gym occasionally. did callanetics. i was very flexible, and it took "forever" for this guy to make my back to crack - it was pretty scary.

i never went back.

i would try acupuncture, though. i haven't had any extreme conditions that would cause me to seek acupuncture therapy. i have gone to a reflexologist, though, who practices as a massage therapist. that and shiatsu has done great things for my aches and pains.

i've also been more observant of my occupation with my body - everyday posture, how heavy my bag is, how i sleep, how i sit. this is where i spend 96% of my time when i'm not exercising.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 08:30 AM  
donnamp

Christina - the pelvic tuck is death to my body also. It sets my back into fits. I avoid it like the plague.

I hope you have a good adjustment on Wednesday. I think there are good and bad chiropractors, like everything else, and it is very possible you found one that will be able to help you!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 08:52 AM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
However, I would never let any chiro, even the doctor I visited, lay a hand on my neck and snap my head around. I think that neck adjustment is very risky.
I really agree with this. I wouldn't either. I remember reading about young women in their 20s and early 30s who had had strokes and no one could figure out why, looking at their age and health histories. The one commonality between them was having had chiropractic neck 'adjustments' prior to their strokes. This was due to the very real possibility of developing a blood clot.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor