Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-14, 08:43 AM  
Jewels5

Anyone have a bone spur or arthritis in their toes?

I have a bone spur in addition to arthritis at the base of my big toe. Basically I can't flex my big toe which is increasingly affecting many forms of exercise: walking, barre work, Classical Stretch, lunges, and some yoga moves. My doctor has offered stabilizing it as a treatment plan, in hopes that if it's stabilized enough throughout the day I could use it minimally for exercise, if that makes sense.

Just wondered if anyone else has this and how you have coped! Thanks for any advice!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-14, 09:01 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I am late in response but yes! I have severe osteoarthritis in both big toes; hallux rigidus is the official diagnosis. The condition has completely affected my life in very restrictive ways. But up side is exercise dvds and modifyingworkouts in privacy of my home is lifeline. Ifyou see this reply, let me know and I can detail information!
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 08:02 PM  
primrosecat

I am interested too as I have a similar problem. Can't bend my big toes as in lunges, etc.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 08:29 PM  
mandie123

I have it left big toe,really have to modify a lot of stuff.
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 10:50 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayTaylor View Post
I am late in response but yes! I have severe osteoarthritis in both big toes; hallux rigidus is the official diagnosis. The condition has completely affected my life in very restrictive ways. But up side is exercise dvds and modifyingworkouts in privacy of my home is lifeline. Ifyou see this reply, let me know and I can detail information!
Thanks for your reply! I would love to know more details about how you have coped. I can't imagine dealing with this in both big toes!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Old 08-29-14, 10:54 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
I am interested too as I have a similar problem. Can't bend my big toes as in lunges, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
I have it left big toe,really have to modify a lot of stuff.
Sorry to hear others are dealing with this too. I am modifying a lot too. I finally got new shoes and had new orthotics made which have made a difference, but if I'm not constantly in my sneakers the pain returns.

Old 09-01-14, 08:34 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I'm not sure how severe is your condition, Jewels. I'll try to describe my situation and how I cope - I'm guessing that your toes are not as bad as mine b/c a surgeon told me I have the feet of an 80 year (I'm in my 40s). So, please don't be scared by my words!

I have severe hallux ridigus. In Ontario, Canada, at least, hospitals do NOT offer toe joint replacements. I have one choice of treatment - a fusion surgery. They basically break the joints, plate it and fix it with a rod so the toe will not move and the pain will apparently end. My surgeon wants to do both of my big toes.

I've been on a waiting list for about 7 years for this surgery. I have rebooked twice and each wait time is about 2.5-3 years.

I am NOT planning to get the surgery as I still haven't been told anything helpful about the recovery or post-operative life for an active person. I gather I'll be off my feet for at least 4 months - impossible for me and my young family.

To cope without surgery - I have used orthotics. I don't find them particularly helpful as my bone spurs are so large - the orthotics plus bone spur make it difficult to wear shoes. Yet, they seem to be a necessary evil.

I stopped getting custom-made orthotics for reason they don't fit in my shoes.

I buy Birk Active insoles and keep them in my wide-toe-box New Balance running shoes. They are just regular running shoes but the toe box seems nice and wide. These shoes I use during my indoor video workouts. I couldn't walk in these runners - but I do use them for workouts.

I can no longer where ANY high heels or flat shoes. Most "normal" shoes do not fit me. Even if it is labeled an "orthotic" shoe, 90 percent of the time - it's not going to fit me or I am in "agony" standing in the shoes.

I wear soft bed Birks Arizona indoors in the house - 24/7. When I visit people, I bring the Birks with me. I replace them 1x a year.

To walk in - in my daily life - I either wear Mephisto sandals - the ones with a rocker sole - I can find out the name if you want.

Or, I wear rocker soled running shoes by a French company named Hoka . These shoes are my life saver. If I plan to walk anywhere for more than a few minutes or at a regular brisk pace, I wear these shoes. Yes, my toes may hurt but I can still walk.

I can emphasis enough how important it is to stop doing high impact exercise if you see signs of hallux limitus. I used to run daily and walk daily and wear high heels - all on pavement. I started having arthritis issues but really had no idea I needed to "do something". No doctor advised me to stop my exercise. I really didn't comprehend what was happening to my feet.

I now need to plan every bit of walking I do. I carry my Hoka running shoes in the car - just in case. A trip to a mall with ceramic floors - is hell.

It's not just the toes not bending that cause issues - the hamstrings weaken, ilitotiabial band tightens, knee pain arises and hip bursitis too.

I see a physiotherapist quite regularly - she monitors me - gives me pain treatment and exercises.

Why am I avoid fusion surgery? Because I have not been told enough about the surgery by my surgeon and I don't trust the technique. Plus, ALL The physiotherapists and orthotic people I meet say - after the toes are surgically fuses - the gait issues and related pain issues (hip, knee, etc.) will continue. So, why bother with a 12 month recovery period when I have 2 young children?

In terms of exercise, I can't cross country ski, play tennis, run for badminton, etc - anything requiring me to bend toes or respond quickly.

I hike with Nordic poles for support and balance. I always wear the Hoka running shoes.

I can't obviously bend my toes so lunges, planks, etc - all must be modified.

I am very very very careful about my exercises. Luckily, I'm a die hard VFer and enjoy workout out at home on my own. I can't exercise barefoot as required in yoga studios and my toes hurt when using treadmills and elliptical machine so gym membership was cancelled.

I do yoga, any sort of exercise workout I enjoy avoiding plyometrics. I do jumping on a rebounder with my shoes on.

Swimming is something I'm rediscovering. Aqua fitness in shallow water is NOT good because I'm standing on the floor and quickly in pain. Deep water is perfect. I swim lengths for exercise.

I also use a Spinning bike.

Everything I do is modified. If I could get a joint replacement surgery, I would - then I think my quality of life would improve. But here in Ontario - that option is not available to me. So, this is the best thing I can do.

I really am hoping my next reincarnation I have healthy feet because I feel somewhat cheated! Actually, seriously, I know there are many people with other issues but I have some of those other issues too so it is a bit wearisome at times.

I hope all this information helped. Good luck!
Old 09-01-14, 08:37 AM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

I should add that I'm in my 40s, have never been overweight and have exercised daily since I was in my early teens. I have been an extremely conscious and healthy eater too. My surgeon and my physio actually think if I had been less active, my toe joints might have lasted longer! Structurally, I was born with very flat feet. It's a bummer. Fortunately there are a lot of soothing options one can manage at home. I've been away from VF for years and amazed to see how many more options have arisen in past years.
Old 09-04-14, 10:56 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayTaylor View Post
I should add that I'm in my 40s, have never been overweight and have exercised daily since I was in my early teens. I have been an extremely conscious and healthy eater too. My surgeon and my physio actually think if I had been less active, my toe joints might have lasted longer! Structurally, I was born with very flat feet. It's a bummer. Fortunately there are a lot of soothing options one can manage at home. I've been away from VF for years and amazed to see how many more options have arisen in past years.
TuesdayTaylor, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm kind of surprised this isn't in both my feet since our stories are similar, except my feet have high arches. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this in both feet though. It sounds like you have discovered lots of successful ways of coping and I am saving this for reference, so thanks!!

My foot doctor does not recommend surgery at this point and said even if it comes to that it doesn't always correct the problem. I actually went for a second opinion and both doctors gave slightly different advice which was a little disconcerting but the second one was my original doctor and I value his opinion since his specialty is running issues. Being a former runner I wonder how much it was caused by that, and even exacerbated by barre work, but who knows? I'm just hoping to stave off any further injury to it so I can walk without pain. Anyway, I recently had new custom orthotics made which are more flexible. I was getting pain radiating to the rest of my foot because my foot was too stable. My doctor recommends wearing the sneakers w/orthotics full time (not the most attractive but better to be pain-free!) and he also recommended Birkenstocks. I will look into those. I'm still wearing my slippers around the house and need to find a substitute. (I have Morton's Neuroma in the other foot so that's a whole 'nother issue LOL) I love Mephisto shoes. If it's not too much trouble, yes, I would love to know which kind you wear.

Walking and rebounding are okay (so far!) with my new orthotics. I love Classical Stretch but can no longer be on the balls of my feet. The new sculpting episodes are wonderful though since Sahra doesn't do this in these. Also I find most Pilates moves are pretty safe. Any plank moves I am using a foam roller placed under the tops of my feet. Some yoga moves are challenging but overall it doesn't seem that difficult to modify. It's the lunges I miss but with the help of VFers' suggestions I've been making those work too.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback! ETA: I hope the pain will be manageable for you!!

Old 09-05-14, 09:24 AM  
3ks

This is so timely for me.

I have been having a pain between my little toe and the next to it of my right foot whenever I lunge sideways or step with force or weight on it...and have no idea what it is.

I felt the area to see where the pain originated from and right next to the 4th toe's side at the base and in between toes....zing! OUCH! It is like a little ball? Ganglyon? Anyone know what that area is called?

I was doing step last night and had to be very careful not to step on that side.

Help?

Thank you for any assistance.

Tags
aquatics, arthritis, bone spur, hallux rigidis, osteoarthritis