Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-13, 10:58 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Almost all the rehab gurus, including Katy Bowman, Sue Hitzman (M.E.L.T. Method) and Cassidy Phillips (Trigger Point Therapy) are highly recommending foam rolling. Many recommend glute activation exercises like clamshells and glute raises before a workout to prepare the muscles for lifting.

At 58, I find a good, long, functional warm-up is essential for me.
Alta, I have been asking myself why I can lift more now. In the past, every time I've tried to add weight to my bench or squat or deadlift, I've tweaked something and figured "well, I guess that's just my limit". But in the last few years, I've paid MUCH more attention to all the things you've mentioned - good movement patterns, shoulder and hip stabilization, glute activation. With programs like Strong Curves/D2S/NROL4L (and Core Performance, which hardly gets mentioned but has many similarities), the emphasis on these elements has made a world of difference.

So, although I complained in the summer of the long RAMP in Strong Curves, and feeling sort of impatient about it, I am essentially a convert to that component.

I think Sue B has mentioned it too - my old joints really seem to benefit from the preparation that it provides.

The upshot is that almost without noticing it, I've broken through all those strength plateaus I've had for years. I'm increasingly convinced that the emphasis on biomechanics, prehab, and RAMP is what has made the most difference.

Sue, glad you posted the link to your photos. I looked at them on Facebook yesterday and felt like a stalker so I'm glad you don't mind. Congratulations!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 11:58 AM  
SEV

I'm almost caving....

Great thread! I have kind of ignored threads about these workouts, I think I'd like them just for the RAMP and foam rolling.

Nuggie's Auntie - LOVE your blog!!!

Susan
SEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 09:22 PM  
LoriSax

I just did my second workout tonight from this set. Where do you get a foam roller???
LoriSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-13, 09:28 PM  
jerebo

I ordered the set on December 4, so have found this thread very timely. I still haven't received it yet. Hopefully any day now...
Old 12-11-13, 09:55 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriSax View Post
I just did my second workout tonight from this set. Where do you get a foam roller???
I think I have seen them in Academy. It would be near the treadmills and other exercise equipment I think.
Footballnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 07:51 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Sue, great job! Congrats! Thanks for sharing the photos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Sue, that's great! And I'll bet you're strong as an ox!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Sue, glad you posted the link to your photos. I looked at them on Facebook yesterday and felt like a stalker so I'm glad you don't mind. Congratulations!
Thanks!
Sophie, there are a lot of great success photos in that group.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 11:04 AM  
yahoo205

i really loved drop 2 sizes but it started to have some dread for me and wore me out by the end. I'm now foregoing heavy weights in favor of Tracy Anderson Continuity (with some yoga thrown in).

Still, for heavy weight training, I love the cosgrove style.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 11:34 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriSax View Post
I purchased my foam roller from Perform Better a few years ago. Love it. Make sure you get the 3' long one.

http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/...301_1004918_-1
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 11:44 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Slight thread detour: I was on Rodale's site looking at D2S and found the Spartacus workout DVDs also developed by Rachel Cosgrove. Has anyone tried these? They appear to be metabolic workouts.

https://www.rodalestore.com/the-spar...-torchers.html

https://www.rodalestore.com/the-spar...evolutlon.html

https://www.rodalestore.com/the-spar...ab-attack.html
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 11:45 AM  
Sophie

Sue, I meant to ask...what did you do after D2S? And is it maintaining your strength gains?
Eta: duh, sorry...just read that you did female body breakthrough...ok, did that allow you to continue to progress in strength or fitness?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, foam rolling, rachel cosgrove, ramp warm-up, warm ups, warm-up