Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-13, 07:24 AM  
hotncmom

I agree that Ballet Body is not very exciting, but it's probably my favorite. I love the peaceful, quiet vibe. It has no dread factor for me whereas sometimes I have to be in a certain mood for other instructors' personalities. In fact, I hardly ever do the Total Body DVD because it is live and not voiceover, and I'm so fond of the voiceover.

On the opposite end, I'm doing the Pop Pilates beginner calendar (alternating with TA), and I love Cassie but she's just so darn perky all the time so some days it's annoying. Most of the time when I am trying other rotations I really miss Ballet Body. It's my workout nirvana. The only criticism I have of it is it doesn't include floor barre. There's one download called Glutes on the Mat but that is it. I like more floorwork for my thighs, so I have to add on.

And I agree, the foldover work in Ballet Body gives me the best butt. But I have to do floorwork to shrink my thighs.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 10:37 AM  
Honeydew

is there anything different about the foldover work in Ballet Body compared to other Barre workouts?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 12:08 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
is there anything different about the foldover work in Ballet Body compared to other Barre workouts?
I'd say so, yes. Ballet Body tends to use a larger range of motion and more compound movements than those based on the Lotte Burke method (Physique 57, The Bar Method, Ballet Physique). The moves are very creative. Some of them, I've never seen anywhere else. If you've done Tracey Mallett's Booty Barre, some of the lunge and squat segments a reminiscent of each other but are done at totally different paces so the effect is very different.

I didn't find Lower Body boring, but it was agonizing, and after about 30 minutes, I was wondering when it was going to end. I really enjoy barre workouts that split things up and make me feel like I've worked my whole body (and that efficiency is one of the main attractions of barre), so this one is overkill for the lower body in my normal routine. However, I've done it a few times in conjunction with the first segment of Ballet Body: Upper Body, which is about 20 minutes, so the whole thing is about an hour. Yep, that first segment is the notorious plank segment. That one STILL kills me. Every time I think I've got it, I go a little deeper or higher, and it gets me again.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 12:57 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Do you get your heartrate up at all in this one?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 01:06 PM  
desie

Quote:
Do you get your heartrate up at all in this one?
No, not at all. Just some painful pulsing in a tucked pelvis position, and variations.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 01:20 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
One of the big differences IMO is that she does a lot of "sitback" variations in foldover, where you sit back into the support leg while you lift the other leg into different patterns. This is basically like doing a one-legged squat and her angles really work the glutes of the standing leg (while you are working the glutes of the moving leg with large leg lift, pulses, isometric holds, etc.)
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-13, 01:46 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
No, not at all. Just some painful pulsing in a tucked pelvis position, and variations.
I respectfully disagree

Going deeply into the moves, my heart rate was up during a lot of the foldover moves. It wasn't like jogging, but it was more than upper body or mat work.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 07:55 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I just did this one for the first time this morning. Oh. My. Goodness. I was sweating. I was shaking. And that's with a lot of Physique 57 under my belt, too. I spent about 5 min. in my THRZ, according to my HR monitor. I was even in the zone during some of the bridge segment.

Mercifully, it was only a little over 40 min. The remainder was stretch, which was soooo nice.

Highly recommend!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-13, 08:01 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCatrina View Post
Congratz on the butt compliment!

The lower body DVD is like purgatory... the upper body one is hell!!
LOL well if your explanation is true maybe I'll get the lower body. I have the upper body and it IS HELL!!

Tags
ballet body, leah sarago