Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-12, 03:06 PM  
blueskies

Emma,

The original PACE Express website link also had that message for me; I just overrode it because I've been on the website before without any problems.

Here is another link that should not give the "certification has run out" message. Same warning applies about turning your computer's sound down!

If anyone asks about PACE Express on your thread, I'll be happy to answer questions. I just didn't want it to turn into something that wasn't what your original intention of the thread was.

PACE Express rotation: completed 11/14/12

Life is a wonderful thing even with the difficulties that are sprinkled in.
~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 03:08 PM  
donnamp

cr@p - Pace sounds interesting to me now!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 03:15 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post

I really REALLY like these - to me they are like mini HIIT workouts. Very cardio-intense (even the strength ones). They would NOT be my go-tos for strength at all, but are great for quickie calorie burners.
This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I would not want a system that did not include a strength component, even if it were only body weight.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 03:48 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I would not want a system that did not include a strength component, even if it were only body weight.
Glad I could help! I do feel these are much better as add-ons than they are as a system. They don't do nearly enough reps of anything (but do a few reps of everything) which is good for getting/keeping the heart rate up and some light toning but not great for building strength at all.

For a more comprehensive system in the 20-minute format I really enjoy Chris Freytag's 10 Pound Slimdowns (original/recovery set).

I took a peek at the PACE Express infomercial (always interested in the next new thing! ) but they look like they are geared towards beginners. Am I mistaken?
Old 10-25-12, 03:48 PM  
Gyggles1

I clicked on the link above but didn't actually see any clips for any of the workouts, is it just the infomercial ?

Love this message by Jessica Smith
"every step you take is one step closer to your goal"
Gyggles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-12, 04:05 PM  
blueskies

Since Emma gave me permission to hijack her thread, and for those who want more information on PACE Express, here goes:

The system comes with 6 main DVDs for a total of 36 workouts (1 bonus DVD is included that contains a 4-minute ab routine, 4-minute hips, buns, and thighs routine, 13-minute stretch routine, and a Dr. Sears interview).

There are 11 different workouts for the 36 total in the system. The workout rotations are kind of neat; the only one that is never repeated is the first workout from Day 1. Here is the rotation (each day's workout routine is a separate letter):

Week 1: A, B, C, D, E, F
Week 2: B, C, D, E, F, G
Week 3: C, D, E, F, G, H
Week 4: D, E, F, G, H, I
Week 5: E, F, G, H, I, J
Week 6: F, G, H, I, J, K

Within each of the workouts, 3 levels are shown that can be mixed and matched, depending on your fitness level and how you may be feeling that day. Each day's workout is based on what your own personal modified resting heart rate is, taken at the start of the workout. The three 4-minute workout sections take you through gradually increasing levels of exertion. First section, Level 5/warm up; second section, Level 7; third section, Level 9. At the end of each section, you take your heart rate, rest for 90 seconds, and retake it. At the end of the 90 seconds, your heart rate needs to be within 30 beats of your initial modified resting heart rate before you can go on to the next section. If you need more rest time, just pause the DVD until you're ready. It sounds complicated, but really, once you do it a few times, it is very simple. I'm a numbers kind of gal anyway, so I love this part.

The lead in the workouts is a down-to-earth, no-nonsense instructor named Rob Iannuccilli. He is not condescending at all, and is very attractive! There is no rah-rah chatter, but it's not a dry presentation at all. There are 4 additional participants each day (varied people) who demonstrate the modified (1 person), standard (3 people including Rob), and advanced (1 person) levels.

Since the DVD routines combine cardio and strength in the 12 minutes, you've taken care of 2/3 of your exercise requirements. The only thing the 12 minutes does not include is stretching. For flexibility, I just do my own basic stretches at the end of the main program, but it's nothing complicated and doesn't take up any extra time because I do them during the recovery period after the final level.

Overall, I'm impressed with the straightforwardness of the system. Of course diet is involved, and Dr. Sears really advocates one that I'm not particularly interested in, but he does not mess around with his basic exercise prescription at all. The stretch routine is optional and not required, and the abs and hips/buns/thigh routines are ones you can tack on at the end of one of your 12-minute days only if you wish to do so. Again, performing these bonus routines is not required to get results. They are just there to add variety.

My only problem so far has been the DVD scratches. Since the routines start repeating at Week 2 with the exception of the last day's routine, I have been able to just use the appropriate workout from the Week 1 DVD until I receive my replacements for the damaged DVDs. Luckily, on each of the scratched DVDs, I am able to play the one new routine for the week, so I can still use the system uninterrupted.

Hope this helps!

~little bird from VF

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean
Old 10-25-12, 04:12 PM  
blueskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
I took a peek at the PACE Express infomercial (always interested in the next new thing! ) but they look like they are geared towards beginners. Am I mistaken?
I don't think this is a beginners-only system. Some of the advanced modifications are pretty difficult, especially in the new routines as the weeks move along. Don't let the simpleness of the presentation fool you--even Rob Iannuccilli, the instructor, is breathing hard at the end of each workout, and his background includes being a competitive gymnast.

~little bird from VF

~Jimmy Dean
Old 10-25-12, 04:20 PM  
blueskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyggles1 View Post
I clicked on the link above but didn't actually see any clips for any of the workouts, is it just the infomercial ?
As far as I know, there are no workout clips. It is just the infomercial. Any of the exercises that you see being done during the infomercial, though, are ones that are in the actual workouts. Those football runs are absolute bun burners!! Thirty seconds lasts a loooooonnnnggg time when you're doing those babies!

~little bird from VF

~Jimmy Dean

Last edited by blueskies; 10-25-12 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 10-25-12, 04:24 PM  
SquishyMommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyskier View Post
I personally did not like this series and I traded it. I found the pace to be too frenetic. If you like the pink Firms you may like it. How about Jillian's Body Revolution? That one also has shorter w/is.J
I completely agree with this. I prefer Classic Firms but really wanted to like this set. It was okay, but I didn't like the fact that they advertised 30 minutes a day when most people would need more than that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jillian's Body Revolution! The workouts are fun and challenging, and most importantly...short! I have a 2 year old so my workout time is extremely limited and Body Revolution is doable for me on most days.

On days that I am extremely short on time I like to do a Zuzanna Light workout. You can do her ZWOW workouts on Youtube for free which is always a plus!
Old 10-25-12, 04:33 PM  
blueskies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyMommy View Post
I completely agree with this. I prefer Classic Firms but really wanted to like this set. It was okay, but I didn't like the fact that they advertised 30 minutes a day when most people would need more than that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jillian's Body Revolution! The workouts are fun and challenging, and most importantly...short! I have a 2 year old so my workout time is extremely limited and Body Revolution is doable for me on most days.

On days that I am extremely short on time I like to do a Zuzanna Light workout. You can do her ZWOW workouts on Youtube for free which is always a plus!
Jennifer - I remember you from the Firm Express thread from over a year ago! If you're in the market for a short program in addition to the ones you are doing, I think you would really like PACE Express. It is as advertised: 12 minutes of exercise. With rests, it totals around 20 minutes. Perfect for working in between a 2-year-old's active schedule!

~little bird from VF

~Jimmy Dean

Tags
firm, firm express, firm express results, pace, pace express