Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-12, 02:47 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Question FIRM Express weights question!

I'm new to the Firm Express workouts (and technically still a newbie to the Firm workouts in general as I just recently discovered the love for them! ) and was wondering what kind of weights you're all using for the FE's?

I've seen on the Firm site that they recommend different weight ranges for the cycles (not like in their other systems, 3, 5 & 8 lbs to begin with). For example for cycle 1 & 2 they recommend 8-12 lbs.

Aside from the fact that right now I only own 10 lbs DBs for my heaviest weight, I'm not sure if 12 lbs would actually be a bit too heavy for the fast movements in cycle 1 for example???
I'm sure the Firm experts know what they're talking about, but I'm still curious what you're all using!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 06:21 AM  
Cowgirl32

These are not meant to be heavy weight workouts. However, they are designed to progress. Cycle 1- 3-8(I can go heavier with some sets). Cycle 2-I use 8-12 lbs., Cycle 3 I use 8-12, and Cycle 4 I use anywhere between 5-15lbs
Old 08-02-12, 06:25 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Thanks for your input, Cowgirl!
I've done Cycle 1, sculpt, today with 8 lbs and my arms were about to fall off! LOL (At least for the bursts where she uses the weights with plyo jumps, holy moly!)
I guess I really need to easy into the weights slowly, considering I've been doing more the barre-ish 3 lbs DB weights routine for the past year and only recently (thanks to the BBS1-4 Firm workouts) come back to heavier weights!

Good to know FE is meant to be used as a progress!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

Old 08-02-12, 08:53 AM  
eaocon

I do these workouts a lot, and I use lighter weights than I would on a "normal" workout - it depends on what the combined movements are.

For example, I would normally use 12 - 15 for biceps, but if I immediately am combining that with shoulders (I think in Turbocharge Sculpt this comes up) I use the weight I'm comfortable with on shoulders, not biceps. The weakest muscle drives the weight I use.
However, in some cases I can switch midstream if I know I can without it slowing me down. That really comes down to familiarity with the workouts to know when that will work.

I don't go by when they say "light" etc., because I think in some cases they use the *wrong* weight. Another example from Turbocharge (not sure if it's sculpt or cardio sculpt) you end up doing front raises with your heaviest weight - I think that's madness!

That doesn't mean you can't work up to heavier weights, but this isn't going to be one of those "heavy" workouts where you will progress up your dumbbell stack.

I always use the heaviest I can with good form, but I don't try to push it since the workouts are quick.

I truly love these workouts, though, and think they are great. I know how to modify what I need.
Old 08-02-12, 09:20 AM  
Honeydew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Thanks for your input, Cowgirl!
I've done Cycle 1, sculpt, today with 8 lbs and my arms were about to fall off! LOL (At least for the bursts where she uses the weights with plyo jumps, holy moly!)
I guess I really need to easy into the weights slowly, considering I've been doing more the barre-ish 3 lbs DB weights routine for the past year and only recently (thanks to the BBS1-4 Firm workouts) come back to heavier weights!

Good to know FE is meant to be used as a progress!
if you don't mind me asking, what made you want to go back to heavier weights?
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 10:10 AM  
bethellen

light

My typical weights for other Firm workouts are: Light 8, Medium 10, Heavy 12.

For Firm Express, I use lighter weights than I would for other Firm workouts.
bethellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 10:35 AM  
princess76

I have gained strength from Chalean Extreme (halfway through the 90 day program), but the last time I did these, I went lighter than usual for a FIRM workout because of the high speed- I think my weights were 5, 8, & 10 lbs.
princess76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 03:16 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaocon View Post
I do these workouts a lot, and I use lighter weights than I would on a "normal" workout - it depends on what the combined movements are.

For example, I would normally use 12 - 15 for biceps, but if I immediately am combining that with shoulders (I think in Turbocharge Sculpt this comes up) I use the weight I'm comfortable with on shoulders, not biceps. The weakest muscle drives the weight I use.
However, in some cases I can switch midstream if I know I can without it slowing me down. That really comes down to familiarity with the workouts to know when that will work.

I don't go by when they say "light" etc., because I think in some cases they use the *wrong* weight. Another example from Turbocharge (not sure if it's sculpt or cardio sculpt) you end up doing front raises with your heaviest weight - I think that's madness!

That doesn't mean you can't work up to heavier weights, but this isn't going to be one of those "heavy" workouts where you will progress up your dumbbell stack.

I always use the heaviest I can with good form, but I don't try to push it since the workouts are quick.

I truly love these workouts, though, and think they are great. I know how to modify what I need.
Thank you so much for your thorough answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
if you don't mind me asking, what made you want to go back to heavier weights?
I don't mind at all!
To be honest, I've felt like I've gotten really soft from only using those light weights and remembered how good I felt (and looked -more toned!) when I lifted heavy in the gym. I don't want to go to the gym again right now, but with the FIRM workouts I think I've found a perfect alternative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethellen View Post
My typical weights for other Firm workouts are: Light 8, Medium 10, Heavy 12.

For Firm Express, I use lighter weights than I would for other Firm workouts.
Thanks, that's good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess76 View Post
I have gained strength from Chalean Extreme (halfway through the 90 day program), but the last time I did these, I went lighter than usual for a FIRM workout because of the high speed- I think my weights were 5, 8, & 10 lbs.
Congrats on having made it halfway through Chalene's 90 day program!

Old 08-03-12, 08:42 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
I've seen on the Firm site that they recommend different weight ranges for the cycles (not like in their other systems, 3, 5 & 8 lbs to begin with). For example for cycle 1 & 2 they recommend 8-12 lbs.
There is a typo on the web site. For Cycle 1, it is supposed to say "Lower impact, lighter weights (3-8 pounds)." And I do have to use lighter weights for Cycle 1 than I do for Cycle 2.
Old 08-03-12, 08:45 PM  
hypnomoon

I used lighter weights than I normally would because this is a very fast paced workout. I didn't want to risk an injury. And I'm still nursing a fussy shoulder for almost 2 years.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm express