Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-11, 12:08 PM  
sma3584

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMinx View Post
I love axe. I wish there were more dance workouts with axe. There are virtually no dvds on the market with this and by virtually i mean none that i know of. Is Brazilian Butt Lift like this?? (with credit card awaiting answer)
I have Brazil Butt Lift and like the toning DVDs, but the cardio axe workout isn't like the axe I know. (My family is from Brazil). It isn't a bad dance workout, but it isn't great either. When I do any dance workout, I put A LOT of energy into my moves which can make intermediate level workouts more advanced cardio-wise. Even with putting a lot of energy into the cardio axe, it was pretty easy. And they do the samba super slow in it! I would love it if Quenia Ribeiro would put out an axe DVD- I like her samba ones.
sma3584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 06:44 AM  
DanceMinx

Sorry!!

Sorry guys for my month-long hiatus. I've been so busy with work and staffing changes that mean recruitment + training!

So, I'll start back by discussing the other Crunch dvds that I have.

*Super-Charged Kickbox Party with Jeanette Jenkins: Love, love, love this dvd as it combines my 2 favorites, dancing and kickboxing. I attempt to limit kickboxing to maybe 1x per week but with this dvd I can pretend that it's not the same as kickboxing. The workout is maybe 40-45 minutes in length and also features men, so you can do this with your hubby, too. Jeanette Jenkins seems really fun and engaging so I am curious about her other dvds that are discussed here. The format of this dvd is a warmup (which is a bit awkward) with maybe 30-35 minutes of workout. The dancing and kickboxing are intermixed. Meaning that there's no kickbox and then dance sections per se. Rather, she choreographed a dance routine that includes kickboxing as part of her routine. Consequently, more dance than kickboxing but super fun. It tends to be more hip hoppy so if you don't like hip hop or if you don't like plyometrics or jumps, you'll want to avoid. The choreography isn't complex but can be fast-paced at times. NOT a light day workout. I felt extremely sweaty afterwards and I had burned a lot of calories according to my HRM. There was a cooldown but I remember wishing that the the cooldown was longer and more intense (read: more stretching) given the intensity of the workout. Do your own cooldown. I don't remember anything about the music.

* Cardio Salsa with Giselle Roque de Escobar: light day workout. My understanding is that Giselle used to work closely with Beto, the founder of Zumba, prior to him creating Zumba. Well...this workout certainly isn't Zumba. The music is good (again DRUMS!) but I find Giselle to be a bit dry. She's soooo serious during the workout, which kills the fun for me, personally. No laughing and joking here! The choreography and movements are not difficult at all so a beginner can do it without any problems. The routine is broken into 3 or 4 main sections based on the type of latin dance (merengue,salsa, samba). TIFT is limited to each sections so it won't drive you crazy if you hate that. This workout is inconsistent as there are good moments and then awkward moments that Giselle's personality could not save. Like I said in my prior review of Donna Richardson's Brazilian Workout, the moves here are not real; they are just Latin-inspired. But unlike DR, I couldn't look past it because Giselle is so boring herself. It's fortunate b/c the workout has the typical Crunch look (bright set, brighly clothed dancers), drums and good music, etc etc etc. I guess I also was annoyed because I thought that these defects could be cured by making the workout more athletic in nature, rather than dancey, but from watching the background exercisers, it was very apparent that they thought that they were dancing and not working out. I kept watching the other people, thinking, "Fix your form! Move your hips!" So it was "eh" to me. I am tempted, however, to try another one of Giselle's dvds that seems more athletic in nature but I'm on the fence. Anyone with any thoughts?

*Cardio Dance Blast! with Marie Forleo: Love this dvd! Marie is such a fun instructor. I believe that the dvd is targeted towards a younger market, probably the same market as the PCD Workout but there are no "slap your bootie, look hot and sexy, growl" type comments here (ok, PCD doesn't say growl but hey ). Marie says stuff like point at that cute guy, etc., etc. and she gives the steps cutsey names. So if that annoys you, you've been forewarned. Ok, format: workout is a little less than 40 minutes in length. The warmup and cooldown also are dancey so you don't have that weird transition that you sometimes get with dance workouts. Like many of the Crunch dvds, the workout itself is broken into 3 sections, mostly latin-inspired. It comes off as club-dancing and many of the movements forces you to move your core, so if you like abwork, this is a good supplement. (Which reminds me, I also have her DOTI Tummy Zone Party but haven't yet tried it. Will reserve for a later review). Choreography is not complex and I believe that it's intermediate as there are a few moves that take it outside of beginner mode. It's enjoyable and many of the backgrounders seem to enjoy themselves. Let me just through in there however a major disclaimer: I don't know if this is symptomatic of the Crunch franchise or a reflection of the background dancers themselves but I really have serious issues with the clothing choices of the exercisers. This is not the club. This is not the park. This is not a MTV music video. Why are you wearing jeans? Why are you wearing a hat? Why are your pants ripped? Oh, so many whys. I'm visually oriented so I consider clothing choices and sets when I select dvds or review workouts. Other Crunch dvds also had this defect but I can't remember the worst offenders but this one in particular bothered me. As a positive, this workout (and a few other Crunch workouts) also have heavier people as exercisers and they were just as active and engaged as the thinner ones. So if you like to have that kind of inspiration, you may want to check this out. Hell, you may even giggle when she says "Watch out, Beyonce!"

*Fat Burning Dance Party with Jennifer Galardi: I think that I tried this dvd maybe 2-3 times as I acquired it around the same time that I had started these reviews. I enjoyed this dvd as it felt dancing and also included a lot of "old school" movements. typical Crunch format with warmup, 3 sections of workout, and cooldown. In this dvd, Jennifer focuses on 1970s/1980s type music, which I think just amped up the fun factor for me. Ok, the choreography can be complex as there are ball changes and spins and isolations. I don't remember a modifier being present but if you do it in sections, it's manageable. I remember this having a different feeling than her DOTI Cardio Hip Hop that I previously had reviewed. it seemed a bit more easygoing although the movements themselves were not. Oh, and this is dancey, not athletic, which I personally enjoyed but I realize that it's not for everyone. I also wanted to add that I also have her Prevention Dance It Off! but it's still a virgin to me.

Ok, got to go to work. I'll return with my thoughts on DanceFit, Billy Blanks, Jr., and Patricia Moreno. These reviews are ridiculous, I think I'm just now understanding how many dvds that I have. I mean, I saw the number but it just doesn't compare to the act of reviewing them. Wow!

I also will respond to some of the comments left here for me a month ago (sorry!!!) and ask some followup questions.

Thanks!

Over 80 DVDs, 2/3 are virgins. Shhh! Don't tell my husband.

Obviously, an abuser of emoticons....
DanceMinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:14 AM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Danceminx,
These reviews are great. If you have the time, the reviews section would benefit greatly from your comprehensive overviews. You can cut and paste and submit.

I don't even do dance DVDs, and I found these helpful/informative.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:19 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
Danceminx,
These reviews are great. If you have the time, the reviews section would benefit greatly from your comprehensive overviews. You can cut and paste and submit.

I don't even do dance DVDs, and I found these helpful/informative.
Thanks!!! I will try to do that this weekend.

Old 03-22-11, 08:21 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma3584 View Post
I have Brazil Butt Lift and like the toning DVDs, but the cardio axe workout isn't like the axe I know. (My family is from Brazil). It isn't a bad dance workout, but it isn't great either. When I do any dance workout, I put A LOT of energy into my moves which can make intermediate level workouts more advanced cardio-wise. Even with putting a lot of energy into the cardio axe, it was pretty easy. And they do the samba super slow in it! I would love it if Quenia Ribeiro would put out an axe DVD- I like her samba ones.
Do you know of any axe dvds from brazil? Right now, I've been just using YouTube.

Old 03-22-11, 08:23 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
I'm looking for some fun, high energy dance cardio workouts. I am choreographically challenged and I have a small workout space, but I tend to be fairly good at modifying for my space.
desertMermaid, did you find anything that you liked??? As you're the one who started the thread, I wanted to check back with you to see if you have been suitably enabled. Lol.

Old 03-22-11, 08:26 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Hmm, I suffer from the same phenomenon - my video collection also grows when my husband is out of the country. i just ordered two of Quenia Ribeiro's DVD's and Kukuwa's Adult DVD. My excuse is that I'll need good steps when I become Zumba certified.
I don't know if it's to keep myself occupied or to take advantage of the fact that he won't criticize the packages arriving. He presently thinks that I have too many clothes and that I should donate them. He'll be horrified to see my new workout collection.

Old 03-22-11, 08:29 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
I tried Cardio Ballroom today. .... My biggest problem was that during the Jive I couldn't keep up with her speed. I'd be several moves behind her.
That happens to me, too!!! But b/c of the speed, TIFT is useful here.

Old 04-08-11, 07:32 PM  
desertMermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMinx View Post
desertMermaid, did you find anything that you liked??? As you're the one who started the thread, I wanted to check back with you to see if you have been suitably enabled. Lol.
Hi danceMinx, I bought the firm cardio dance express (I have yet to do it) and I bought a used set of Disco Abs (did 2 out of 3 so far).

I downloaded some Deanne Berry dance exercise videos from youtube (those were fun).

I acquired soul sweat and Nia Unplugged, which I enjoyed. They are not structured like other dance/aerobic videos but they are fun, and you can really work up a sweat!

I found that there are some dance and be fit videos on Hulu (keep meaning to get aroud to them): http://www.hulu.com/search?fs=0&quer...nd+be+fit&st=1

Thing is I enjoy so many different kinds of exercise so I bounce around alot one day I'll do kickboxing then Callanetics, then dance, then barre, then traditional strength training, then mountain biking, etc. I never ever stick to one thing. Regardless, I have enjoyed reading your reviews and have enjoyed adding more dance based cardio to my fitness life style.
desertMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dance, dance cardio, dance workouts, disco abs, jennifer galardi