Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-20, 12:47 PM  
alisoncooks

Suzanne Bowen prenatal DVDs question

Are Suzanne's prenatal DVDs more beginner-friendly than her other DVDs? (Aka: are they a wee bit easier?). I'm considering them, for some reason, though I'm most-def not the intended audience.

Also, is there a lot of baby/pregnancy talk in these? I'm cool with a little bit (I mean, obviously: prenatal DVD) but if it's throughout, then I might give myself a complex, lol.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 04:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've acquired several of my favorite instructors' prenatal workouts - Suzanne, Leah Sarago, Tracey Mallett, and Erin O'Brien. I've found their presentation to be identical to how they teach their regular workouts. They just remind you to get your doc's OK before participating, and after that, it's all "business".

Suzanne has 3 prenatal workouts. i acquired these from 2015 to 2017. i've done these without being pregnant!

Long & Lean Prenatal Workout, 2009, 68 min, which includes a 10-min post-natal abs routine by Leah Sarago. Challenging, done with voiceover, good UB moves. Uncommon/creative moves are shown in this workout. Suzanne is alone in the main workout, and Leah (non-pregnant) is alone in the post-natal abs routine. There are no weights in either routine. She does fewer reps and the workout is unrepetitive.

Slim & Toned Prenatal Barre Workout, 2012, 82 min, with Leigh-ann Mims in her 35th week of pregnancy. Haven't done this one in a while. I enjoyed the Cardio Sculpt segment - that's what i wrote in my notes.

BarreAmped Sleek & Toned Prenatal Workout, 2015, 88 min, with Sweden Perkins. I only previewed this and have yet to do this workout.

Leah has her own workout called Prenatal Physique, 2014, 95 min.

EDITED TO ADD:
Prenatal and even post-natal workouts issued in the last 18 years have really improved, and women now want something to maintain their fitness, so many workouts are developed with that in mind.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-20, 06:22 PM  
CharM

Quote:
They just remind you to get your doc's OK before participating, and after that, it's all "business"
Yes, I agree. I did BA S&T not too long ago. From what I remember, the only pregnancy talk was about how to modify depending on how far along you are, or the size of the belly or something like that. I followed Suzanne, and it felt just like her regular workouts; so I'd think it would be a tad easier following the modifier.

The Bar Method Pregnancy had more references to the belly throughout the workout, or so it felt; I remember thinking that it was unlike my other prenatal workouts (Suzanne, Leah) and becoming annoyed. I could have also been in a bad mood, I don't know, just thought I'd mention it.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-20, 10:45 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I use these DVDs from time to time and I don't remember a lot of baby talk on them. I wish they had been around in the 1980s when I was pregnant. I do think they are a tad bit easier than Suzanne's regular DVDs.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 02:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Leah has her own workout called Prenatal Physique, 2014, 95 min.
wanted to report back that i really like Leah's Prenatal Physique DVD. i'll post a review when i'm finished - i've gotten through about 3/4 of it and should be done by this week.

this would be great for us non-gravid folks, male or female, old or young.

there are roughly 6 segments and you get barre and sculpt segments for the various body parts, cardio, and stretching. i don't have Leah's Bariatric fitness, but this one might be a good one to add to your collection if you got the Bariatric fitness set.

This Prenatal Physique workout is moderate but you can heavy up. as is, it's good enough. the heaviest dumbbell she uses is a 10# one.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 05:44 PM  
alisoncooks

Leah Sarago's prenatal DVD is really well-rounded. More so than Suzanne's, I feel. Lots of bang for your buck. I just recently reacquired it (*cough* for the 3rd time...) but I actually like it this time, haha. It fits where I am right now (which is NOT pregnant, just in search of short segments to piece together).
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bariatric fitness rx, leah sarago, prenatal, suzanne bowen