Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-11, 03:26 PM  
wendy2

I got mine today too, and evidently would have received it earlier --someone had written "delivered to wrong address" on it. I'm so glad it went to an honest person who put it back in their mailbox!

Anyway, I started to preview it (it will only play on my husband's laptop and not mine, but I'm sure it will be fine on my DVD player) and it looks fantastic! There are several premixes--love that she splits and splices and all that good, complex stuff! I can hardly wait to do this workout, and I may get a chance later tonight. If not, I'm definitely doing it tomorrow morning. Will report back with details.

Wendy
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 05:13 PM  
neatski

I got mine and did it last night. I'll post about it in another thread.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-11, 05:52 PM  
wendy2

Just a quick post to say that I did the first 30 minutes plus the cool down and core work this evening. A few thoughts:

The warm up us much simpler than Seasun's usual. I missed the complexity that she usually starts right off with, but it is still a fun warm up, and gets the heart rate up with the jacks on and off the step.

I loved the first two combos. They are classic Seasun comlexity, fun, difficult, and I didn't get them all on the first try, which is a good sign. Almost, but not quite. Her cuing is her usual good stuff, though I found myself turned the wrong way several times! It wasn't frustrating though--just made me happy that this won't get boring any time soon.

I skipped to the cool down after 1&2, and was incredibly disappointed. This is a cool down a la Cathe's Shock Cardio series: non-existent. I couldn't believe it. I even rewound to see if maybe it was chaptered wrong or something... I love the fact that Seasun usually throws choreography into the warm up and cool down. Even if she didn't have any more choreo to give us, at least it could have lasted longer than the minute or so it seemed to... I didn't time it--it just felt like we stepped side to side a couple of times and then dropped to the floor for core work.

That said, the core work does keep your heart rate up since it is all plank work, so maybe that had something to do with the lack of a cool down. Planks hurt my wrists, but these seemed pretty quick and relatively intense (though I felt the intensity in more of a cardiovascular way--and in my shoulders--than in my core) so I made it through all of them. I was sad there was no regular ab work, or even standing ab work. I'm always sore after I do the ab work from her other workouts.

Oh, well. The fabulousness of the body of the step workout makes up for the negatives I've brought up. I would recommend this to any step lover
Old 08-13-11, 10:58 PM  
neatski

Ok, well, another first impression was posted here so here's mine. I did the workout for the first time yesterday.

Pros:
-Seasun's usual brand of fun complex choreography. I didn't manage to follow everything on the first try, which is good. There are a LOT of turns and directional changes in this DVD. It's awesome to have a new advanced step DVD!
-Seasun's usual good cuing combined with upbeat, fun instruction. I was able to follow most of it the first time through despite the complexity. I really love Seasun's personality in all her videos and this one is no exception.

Cons:
-The music SUCKS in comparison to Stepping Up. I happen to like electronic music but this soundtrack sounded like MIDI files playing on Windows 3.11. It was completely unengaging.
-Seasun actually gets off beat during the end of one of the combinations (either 2 or 3, I don't remember which). The combination is already put together at that point but with all those turns and directional changes, it completely threw me off.

Jury's still out on how much longevity this workout will have once I master it. I'm hoping I'll grow to like it as much as I love Stepping Up.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-11, 06:46 AM  
wendy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post

Cons:
-The music SUCKS in comparison to Stepping Up. I happen to like electronic music but this soundtrack sounded like MIDI files playing on Windows 3.11. It was completely unengaging.
-Seasun actually gets off beat during the end of one of the combinations (either 2 or 3, I don't remember which). The combination is already put together at that point but with all those turns and directional changes, it completely threw me off.

Jury's still out on how much longevity this workout will have once I master it. I'm hoping I'll grow to like it as much as I love Stepping Up.
Ditto! Forgot to mention these important points. I think it's combo 2 where she goes off beat.
Old 08-15-11, 09:27 AM  
Conni

I did the workout this morning in its entirety. Didn't get all of combos 1 and 2, but mastered combo 3.

Pros - Great choreography, not too heavy on the burpees and all that, which I am really happy about. I didn't get all the moves, but still sweat buckets by the end. Nice set, and Seasun is her professional best.

Cons - Music is terrible, the core work really is bad ( I didn't even feel it until the side planks.

Did I mention how bad that music was??????

I will keep this one because there is sooo little good choreography out there now, but will sub other core work when possible.
Old 08-15-11, 09:38 AM  
acescholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conni View Post
Cons - Music is terrible, the core work really is bad ( I didn't even feel it until the side planks.
Wow, that's disappointing, usually Seasun has great core work.
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 09:45 AM  
Pascal

I did *most* of this one over the weekend - I plan on doing it again in its entirety tomorrow.

Initial reactions:

-Warm up - it is very basic, especially for Seasun. I guess that's okay, but I was expecting a bit more choreography here.
-Section 1 - this section was typical Seasun (lots of directional changes) and I caught on to it pretty quickly.
-Section 2 - this section was trickier for me to learn but after SEVERAL rewinds, I got it. It took me so long to catch onto the first 2 combos (I am s-l-o-w at learning complex choreography - but I love it once I finally get it!) that I skipped combo 3 and went to the cool down. Which brings me to...
-Cool down - disappointed here. I love the cool down in Stepping Up with the goofy foot and drag. There was nothing really to this chapter.

I also skipped the core work because I had done some earlier in the day and my abs were fried, but I will try it tomorrow.

Pros - the choreography is FUN! Seasun give her typical clear cues and she cues ahead so it's pretty easy to catch on.
I like the current set Greg is using.
Pros- I liked some of the music
Cons - I know I put the music in the pros, but I have to put it in the cons too because A LOT of this music is in Amy's ASC4, so I've heard it lots before.
The lack of choreography in the warm up and cool down.

I enjoyed this one and am glad I bought it but, for me, it wasn't as great as Stepping Up or The Next Step.
Old 08-15-11, 02:07 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Props to those of you who got it all the first time!

I previewed it last night and still couldn't get that "16" move. I kept ending up on the wrong foot. I even went back later and watched it in slo mo and still couldn't get it! But my brain was fried by then so I hope to do better later.

What really got me was that I couldn't get the warm up. That over and tap move, I kept ending up on the wrong foot then, too.

Seasun's workouts always take me longer to learn. I like it once I get it, but I get frustrated learning it.

I didn't notice her being off beat in combo 2.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-11, 01:02 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Finished it over the past two days. Aside from the less complex warmup (and I love her last one, where the warmup becomes part of combo one), the complexity seemed more in the form of different fast feet rhythm moves than new choreo moves. I was able to pick up all the combos the first time through, so overall, I'd have to say it's a little easier to follow than her last workout.

Donna

Tags
seasun zieger, z-fit super step